Author Topic: Vehicle's Tailgating too close?  (Read 4812 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Vehicle's Tailgating too close?
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:25:14 PM »
I am not an experienced rider nor do I know what procedure's (if any) one can use when some idiot's get so close to you that you fear in stopping or even slowing down? I haven't been riding that long and this is constant and it is especially the D_ _ _ Truck driver's. What the H_ _ _ are they doing. Are they playing games, trying to read something on us or the bike's or just wanting to pass or make us go faster? Oh yes, many women are as bad if not worse. Maybe put in a non noticeable spray gun on the bike somehow and puff a few squirt's of oil on the windshield...of course making one think it came out of the muffler! Of course it would have to be vaporized somewhat or misty! I used to vaporize bug spray off the muffler of my Wheel Horse tractor....looked like all smog!

spr0k3t

• View Profile
Re: Vehicle's Tailgating too close?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:07 AM »
The best recommendation for those that tailgate is to slow down.  When you slow down, you give yourself more room in front of you as well as more reaction time for the person tailgating you.  It's pretty heavily detailed at MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation).  If it's someone I know that's tailgating me, I usually tell them why it's bad, then proceed to share the information about how they like tailgating with all their friends... the peer pressure really hits home good.  If it's someone I don't know, and I'm first in line at the light... I'll kill the engine to make them think it stalled.  The best thing to do, let them pass (while giving them your single digit phone number).

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:47:48 AM »
When they follow to close to you, bob and weave in the lane, look down at you tires and otherwise give them a reason to think they should back off... or pull over and let them pass.

I sometimes will filter up at the next light and put as many other cars are possible between me and then.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
This has not really been a problem for me, I think I may drive a tad too fast.  If I were being followed too closely, I would signal and pull over and let them pass.

:)>>
:)>>

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33:38 PM »
Get used to it. You can never go fast enough for some people. It happens in cars as much as on scoots, except on a scoot you feel more vulnerable. Ignore them. Don't waste an obscene gesture. They are idiots.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:13:37 AM »
It burns me up but really don't have anything to add to what's already been said here.  Amen to what Agent Bob said. 

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 03:29:24 AM »
When I encounter an agressive driver I give my signal and pull over as soon as safely possible . I don't like being injured . Good luck .

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
Thank's for all the replie's. Now I have a choice when this situation comes up! I am really not aggressive but sometime's I can well, you know! Can't prove what they do to you, but they then can prove what you do to them..... so I'll level off a bit!

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
Look back and give them a hand wave indicating they need to back off.
If this does not work, pull over and let them go by.
You will not win a battle with a car or truck.  Do not give them the finger, it isn't worth the trouble.
Do not add oil gun, smoke maker or spike strip launcher to the back of your scoot.  As fun as this sounds, it will likely get you jailed or killed.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:37:04 AM »
I agree, a one fingered salute is usually a bad idea in a cage vs bike match...

As I'm figuring out what I would like on a Grand Vista, I'm thinking I will get the Shad top case and the Shad set up for an additional brake light... what I want to do if possible is hook up a brake light modulator to just the added light... saw a cruiser with a brake light modulator and it was quite noticeable and people did not crawl up the backside of the bike...

just a thought - most people are not vicious, just asleep and unaware of what they are doing.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:45 PM »
Urbestfriend recommends "Look Professional".   Wear a helmet and a nice
jacket.  Superlumination has a nice rear light for $30.00 that blinks
"knight rider" style if wired into your stop light.   I find the worst issue
is trying to get someone to pull up close enough at stoplights with road sensors
because I may not be heavy enough to set them off myself.   I try to wave them
up closer and actually have had them try to go around me at a red light.

"Looking Professional" can go a long way to getting respect,  improving your
own safety.  I've tried to maintain a "Police Type Look" that I think has been quite successful.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
This is why no scoot will ever come close to >600cc naked/sports bike.
Usually, there is nothing faster on a road.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Grimsby53

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
I was out for a long ride yesterday, and fell in with a couple of Harley riders winding though a fun part of downtown.  They both had super-bright, pulsating brake lights that strobed on and off when they first hit them, then settled down to constant-on after a few seconds.  They looked like LEDs, but were awesomely bright.  I'm going to try and find something like that for my scoot.  Sould help a bit to wakeup the "accidental tail-gaters."  Won't help with the just plain aggresive ones.  I'll still be getting out of their way.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »
Lately I've been using a Green or lime Green vest (sleveless & pourous) with the high luminous stripes and with the high Givi Box (silver), my silver helmet, shaded partial pull down on the helmet and a full clear pull down others don't know if I am a city or county worker, local police or someone important checking traffic or what! Hey, it works so far and of course the scooter (silver) is impressive along with all the above. I really think that Givi 46 box on the back helps a great deal with all the red reflectors. Further, the Black and white jacket is an added feature also. I find more problems coming from the front, women especially, pulling out on you, no turn signals and I believe you know the rest.

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
I do a lot of divided highway riding on my pep 250, and even when I'm going a gps indicated 75-80, people seem to have a need to pass a scooter in a way they don't with a motorcycle in the more traditional sense. They often pull up too close for my comfort and I have found the best thing to do is to move to the left side of the lane and slowly slow down to get them a space to pass. I have been passed in my own lane if I stay right and that's a very asspuckering event. Just let them know that they should pass when its safe and don't sweat it. They are probably mad they cant enjoy the nice day out like we can. But you have to assert your place on the road or someone will treat you like you aren't supposed to be there. I have been told by people to "take my toy and play with it on the side walk with the other babies" in traffic. That might be the time to to throw the V?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()