Author Topic: New Rider - First Post  (Read 2873 times)

burningsnow

• View Profile
New Rider - First Post
« on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
I just purchased a 2009 People 150. It has 4300km. I am extremely impressed so far. The pick up is great and the top speed is ideal for commuting. Yesterday I took my longest ride yet (approximately 12 miles averaging 50mph). When I got home i noticed kind of a burning or "over-heating" type smell. It wasn't really strong but it still bothered me so I thought I'd join the forum and throw out my first question. Is this smell normal after ride like this? I have gone on several short rides (less than 5 miles) without noticing anything.

I am headed out on another ride... hopefully it was a one time occurance but I will check after this ride. Any input would be great.

Burningsnow

juice

• View Profile
Re: New Rider - First Post
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »
Sometimes paint or lubricants will burn off after reaching operating temps , but I would recommend checking and keeping an eye on your fluid levels and checking your brake clearance . Good luck and enjoy your new scoot .

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
Engines and exhausts get hot.  Stuff gets on engines and exhausts, gets toasted and gives off nasty smells.
The hot smell is normal.  If you see smoke, you have a problem.
Be sure to wash your scooter often to remove gunk.  It is also a good time to inspect the bike.

burningsnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
Thanks for replying. I did notice the smell again yesterday and it is definitely coming from the exhaust pipe. No smoke... just really hot. I'll give it a thorough cleaning and keep my eye on it.  Thanks again guys!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:48 AM »
It's still practically new so, yes, there will be smells of newness burning off.  Especially the exaust.  ;)  It's probably the paint on the exaust and leg guard.  It will go away eventually.  Enjoy it while you can!

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »
I dunno... the bits of plastic wrap and coatings generally burn off in 100km or less. If in doubt, see if there aren't some local riders around who can meet you for coffee or a beer, and see if you can get some advice on whether or not the smell is normal. If anyone else is alarmed by it, take it to a dealer and get an evaluation/diagnosis.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:29:06 PM by jprestonian »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()