Author Topic: Grinding / Vibration  (Read 9214 times)

scopa

• View Profile
Grinding / Vibration
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
Between 10 - 20mph I get a nasty sounding grind that also vibrates the plastic under my feet. It sounds as if it's coming from directly under the floorboard, but I'm pretty sure there are no moving parts down there, just wires.

I took the scoot in for a service and they replaced the clutch rollers and gave me a new belt. They said it ran fine now. But as I pulled out of the shop I could still hear the grinding and feel the vibration.

I don't want to take the scoot back and look like a hypochondriac. I kind of want to open it up and see if I can identify the problem before I take it back (if I need to. Maybe I can fix it?) Any idea what it could be? The grinding happens as I accelerate from a stop, and it happens right around 10mph.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Grinding / Vibration
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
I've had an issue that could be described something like you did, but maybe not.
What happens when you open the throttle all the way from standing still?
Does the scoot start/accelerate smoothly or does it engage the clutch violenty?
Mine would lift the front wheel off the ground.. it was a clutch issue, costs nothing
to fix.

When accelerating softly from standing still, the scooter would shudder/shake before
the clutch engaged all the way.

Cleaning the clutch helped a bit.. but nothing helped more then holding both brakes in,
pining the throttle to the max and then letting the scooter move slowly (1mph) while
still holding both brakes and throttle to the max. By the time you smell the clutch burning,
the problem should be fixed.

Never happened again after that, got 14k km on the clock now.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

scopa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Ah yes, I had that same problem before. No, this is different. This sounds like I am dragging the kickstand on the ground. It's a metal on metal type grind that only lasts a moment when I hit the perfect speed/gear.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »
Ah yes, I had that same problem before. No, this is different. This sounds like I am dragging the kickstand on the ground. It's a metal on metal type grind that only lasts a moment when I hit the perfect speed/gear.

Can't help you with that one then.. I'd take the bike to the shop.. can't be anything 'good'.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
Are center and side stands fully retracted and all springs in place?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »
Are center and side stands fully retracted and all springs in place?

He said he hears the scraping only when accelerating from a stop, and the rear
of the scoot lifts up when you accelerate.. it would scrape in every other situation
except this one then.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
check oil level..
check screw on exhaust...
check exhaust manifold screws...and rubber...
check rollers....
check cover for exhaust (4screws)....and rear
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

jesionowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
At 5500km I started hearing this noise occasionally. Now I heard it every minute or two of riding. I dont feel any slipping or grabbing of the clutch. I might pull the clutch apart this weekend and clean it out. Other than the clutch I cant think of what would be making that sound. Maybe of of the rollers is hanging up??

Performance is uneffected but I would hate to get stranded somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:01:13 PM by jesionowski »
Igonorance is never better than knowledge

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
its just gy6 sound like...

maybe cat in exhaust get broken.....or main bearings set..... :)
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

jesionowski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
This last weekend I took the belt cover off and used compress are to blow out all the dust in the CVT transmision. After two rides I havent heard that grinding sound yet, knock wood. It might just have been the clutch slipping on the dust from the pads.
Igonorance is never better than knowledge

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
I would take it back and make them fix it! It could be a bearing or it could be the brake shoes. I have no idea with out seeing it but you could cause some serious damage. I wouldnt worry about them thinking anything. Its your money and your investment .

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I think I am having the same problem now. Before yesterday that grinding noise started when accelerating at low speeds but actually stays. it's especially obvious around 20-25 mph and seems to get much better when riding faster than 30mph (although that could be because of the higher background noise level).
To me it sounds/feels more like when turning a wheel of a plastic toy or so with an axle - when it's turning slow it's fine but when turning it fast it start vibrating and slowing down. In fact I am having the feeling that this is having a slight breaking effect.
I already checked for loose parts, turned the front wheel and banged against it and ran the scooter on the center stand. Nothing that gives me a hint where this grinding is coming from.
Other than that everything seems to be as usual. Also it's definitely not the 'jerk' that's being caused by grease in the clutch.
Any help would be great.
-Emil

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
Changed the rollers yesterday - no change at all. Will have a look at the clutch now and will change motor and gear oil. Let's see - maybe I'll be lucky...

If not, doesn't have anyone here a tip where this noise could come from? What for example does it sound like if there's something wrong with the valve?

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
check second air intake.....
check exhaust valve clearence.....

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »
How awkward - It was the missing rubber piece on the center stand. Such a small thing that I missed all the time looking for loose bolts, screws etc. Somehow I cannot believe that a vibrating center stand can make such a noise and vibration. But it did.
Well, at least I installed new 13.5 gram  roller weights. They do seem to work nicer than the original ones. I'll find out more tomorrow when I ride to work...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()