Author Topic: Hard starting in warm weather FIX  (Read 11606 times)

Whisper

• View Profile
Re: Hard starting in warm weather FIX
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
When i say "plugged" I mean the canister fills with liquid gasoline.  IIRC, the canister is full of activated charcoal and it is there to prevent liquid gasoline from leaking onto the ground in case of overfills and fuel expansion in the sun. I think it control how much fuel vapors go into the atmosphere, too.

When the canister is full of liquid gasoline the carb/FI cannot breathe air in because when it draws in air from the canister...it gets a glug of gasoline and gas+gas (no air) equals "no-start" , air+gas = go!.  Overfilling your tank can fill your canister and cause stalling, hard starts, and no-starts.  So can laying the scooter over, either as gasoline into the canister or too much oil in the airfilter. It can take several days for the fuel in the canister to evaporate to a point when the canister allows the air to flow to the FI/carb

Amazing what I learn about reading these forums. See ModernVespa.com for more information. http://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-evap or http://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-bv500-charcoal-cannister

Techguy - The more I think about it, the more I think you may have something here.  I read both those ModernVespa posts (I loved that forum when I had a Vespa!).  The only thing I'm wondering is which approach to take.

The first post recommends installing a cheap filter on the end of the hose.  I'm thinking one of those cheapie, anodized-aluminum automotive crankcase filters would be the ticket.  This is prolly what I would have done if left to my own devices.  I think you could easily get away with a line running douwn and out the bottom of the scoot with the rest of the overflow lines.  The chances of dirt/dust getting up a 6"+ tube seem pretty remote.  Is there ever a suction on that line?  Could prolly find a cheapie check valve...

The second post recommends just capping it off.  That is even easier/cheaper, but pressure buildup worries me.  I don't want to blow some gasket/seal somewhere.

Do you have any thoughts/opinions/preferences on this?  I am HAPPY to be the forum guinea pig - HA!

Axy - That bike looks like an incredible amount of fun (And wheelies).  That back tire is AWESOME

DaniFly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
When I had had a Piaggio Fly 150, i just disconnected the hose going back into the carb/cylinder.
Worked fine and never ever had a problem with it.

Other folks put some K&N fancy filter on the inlet into the carb/cylinder but I think that just looks fancy and doesn't really do anything except waist money.... which I have no problem with  :) ... after all we all ride these toys

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
200 cc was sold only in USA. I have never heard of 225.

There's at least two TW's 200 registered here (Osijek).
225 was for Asian market then, I think it's sold in USA now too.
They're selling bucket loads of them there.

There was a XT225 too.
15hp beast.

'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
When I had had a Piaggio Fly 150, i just disconnected the hose going back into the carb/cylinder.
Worked fine and never ever had a problem with it.

Other folks put some K&N fancy filter on the inlet into the carb/cylinder but I think that just looks fancy and doesn't really do anything except waist money.... which I have no problem with  :) ... after all we all ride these toys

I think the current, optimal solution is to disconnect the hose, sack the charcoal thingee (to save weight!), then add the K&N filter looking thing (to waste money!).  LOL!

Have to see how much room I have to work with.  If this is the problem/solution, that will be AWESOME!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
I think the filter is a small hose filter.  I tried to find an image but they are very small hose filters simply to keep them from sucking in dust.  I will post an image if I find one.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Axy - That bike looks like an incredible amount of fun (And wheelies).  That back tire is AWESOME

It was weak-ish, had only 11 hp or so, but it could do wheelies.

HOWEVER, it would do STOPPIES, even I as a complete novice/beginner could do them from DAY ONE! :) :) :) :) :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
There's at least two TW's 200 registered here (Osijek).

There was one in Rijeka too.
However, they were never sold in Croatia. God knows how they ended up here.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »
There was one in Rijeka too.
However, they were never sold in Croatia. God knows how they ended up here.

Yeah, that's true, I remember seeing the 125 in a local dealer's price list
(and it was rather expensive, over 30kkn if I recall correctly), but I only saw
the 200s here.. I'll take a pic of one of them when I see'em.

Suzuki made/makes something virtually identical, I just saw it the other day
and was sure it was the TW, but then saw the Suzuki badge..  ???

EDIT: It was a Suzuki VANVAN

Also a 125..
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

J-7

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »

Whisper,
I have been experiencing the same issues with my Like 200i. (also fuel injected.) I'm in Central Florida where it is really getting hot, and happening more frequently now. Are you still experiencing this issue? Is it getting worse now that it is getting hotter? Or have you figured out a way around it?

:)

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »

Whisper,
I have been experiencing the same issues with my Like 200i. (also fuel injected.) I'm in Central Florida where it is really getting hot, and happening more frequently now. Are you still experiencing this issue? Is it getting worse now that it is getting hotter? Or have you figured out a way around it?

I'm in Central Florida also.....east Orange county.  I was having problems getting my DT started but now it starts right up.  Don't know what's changed other than the hot weather were having.  ???

J-7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »

Yep, West Orlando here. Using throttle does get it going for the first start on a cold engine like listed at the start of this, but it seems like it shouldn't be required of a brand new fuel injected bike. Than again, it is a single, and they often have their own ways of being. I certainly like the characteristics and payoffs of the single while it's running.
:)

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
I live in NJ and we have had a couple of 90+ days ehre and no issue starting cold. I have had only issues 2 times, both were because I started it to move the bike for a few seeconds and then stopped it. This caused a flooded condition starting the bike again even the next day. I had to do the 3 second turnover at full throttle to clear the bike..............

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
I live in NJ and we have had a couple of 90+ days ehre and no issue starting cold. I have had only issues 2 times, both were because I started it to move the bike for a few seeconds and then stopped it. This caused a flooded condition starting the bike again even the next day. I had to do the 3 second turnover at full throttle to clear the bike..............

That is EXACTLY what happens to me if I don't fully commit to a full start.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
My first time I started it from cold and ran for 2 seconds but shut it down to get in the storage. when I went to start up again it was flooded. Second time was at night moved it from behind the car to the front in the driveway when it was cold. The next day when I went to start it it was flooded...............

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()