Author Topic: hmm... mysterious price jump  (Read 5227 times)

oldcoastie

• View Profile
hmm... mysterious price jump
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:14:12 AM »
Went back to the dealer where I'd like to buy a Grand Vista and the price has mysteriously jumped by about 600 bucks...

Either a mistake was made on the 1st quote or gas prices are creating opportunity...

Either way, he's now almost a $1,000 beyond what I'm comfortable spending on a new scoot... been looking for an appropriate 250 on Craigslist but the pickin's have been slim to say the least....

The Grand Vista fits me physically so nicely but I'd really rather have the new technology of the fuel injection...

The bike that fit me second best (though the seat is just a fraction too tall) was the Yager.... I'm wondering how it handles at 55-65 (I'm a lightweight at 120 pounds)... How are you Yager owners doing with the bike?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: looking for help, please! having bogging issues with zx50
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 02:28:57 AM »
Is it a price jump simply because you are interested in buying. If you don't have another dealer near  you, that could be it.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

TechGuy

• View Profile
Re: hmm... mysterious price jump
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:34:51 AM »
Went back to the dealer where I'd like to buy a Grand Vista and the price has mysteriously jumped by about 600 bucks..

Where are you located?

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 02:36:58 AM »
well, I suspect business is picking up and its a supply and demand kind of thing... and while I don't begrudge a guy making a profit after a couple lean years...

he is my closest dealer and has a good reputation for service, so I'd prefer to establish a business relationship with this shop (and want to support the little guy nature of this place).... but I also don't need to spend an arm and leg for the bike...

as I ain't made o' money, after all...

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:16 AM »
I'm in So Cal - so plenty of dealers... I'm not stuck by any means...

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
Coastie,

Picked up my new Yager last month (Chicago area.)  It's an impressive vehicle and does well lugging my 200+ pounds around.  The scoot does fine at 55+mph even with the smallish wheels.  Just remember this is a 300 lb machine and will not hold the road as good as a 450+ lb motorcycle!  You will get blown around more than on a 250cc like the Grand Vista.

The dealers are probably preparing for a rush of new buyers due to the gas crisis....I'm not sure if that'll happen or not.  Anyway, the Yager ran me $2,999.00 + taxes, setup, license which was a good deal for a pretty awesome machine.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk 750
'04 Kymco Super 9 (my baby)
'10 Yager 200 i  NEW!!!!

"What are we here for?   We're all here ....TO GO!"   -Wm. Burroughs
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »
No mystery Coastie - Gas is approaching $4/gal.  Watch the prices on scoots rise.  I bought mine just before gas hit $3.25 - Saw this coming down the road.  ;D

If the guy moves the price on you, just let him know that wasn't the deal and walk if he won't budge.  Don't reward bad behavior.

I REALLY liked the dealer I had originally gone to.  And they had a silver DT300i in stock.  Unfortunately, their slimey sales guy played every scummy trick in the book - And I walked.

I was able to get the price I was looking for over the phone at another dealer (took 15 minutes to get the price the other salesman assured me was 'impossible for any dealer to meet')- And they were very honest and wonderful to work with.  VERY SATISFIED.

No matter how nice they act - If they are trying to screw you on price, they are not your friend.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »
No matter how nice they act - If they are trying to screw you on price, they are not your friend.

Business relation is not friendship relation anyway.
They cannot screw you on the price, you can just let to be screwed.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
They are asking $3899.00 for new 09 Grand Vistas here in north Florida. We have a great dealer here with minimal add on fees. Do your homework and beat him up on the price if need be.
09 Agility 125

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »
Axy speaks The Truthâ„¢

Likewise, Doc - I can point anyone toward an excellent dealer on FL's Central East coast that doesn't BS. 

Anything over MSRP OTD is pure, pure profit.  They still have profit padded into a good deal!  It is nice to see some dealers making money while not gouging customers.  There are some, however, that will shamelessly slay the golden goose for that egg. 

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
well, I suspect business is picking up and its a supply and demand kind of thing... and while I don't begrudge a guy making a profit after a couple lean years...

he is my closest dealer and has a good reputation for service, so I'd prefer to establish a business relationship with this shop (and want to support the little guy nature of this place).... but I also don't need to spend an arm and leg for the bike...

as I ain't made o' money, after all...
is this NoHo Scooters? if not are you close to Los Angeles? they usually have deals on new and used. i know they had a red leftover '09 People S250 on the floor for display not so long ago. the owner said he'd give me a "smokin' deal" on it. but i am a customer so who knows anyone else? but business is business so i believe so

late last year they also had TWO 2008 SYM City Com's they could not sell for almost two years. if they still have them, bet they would take an offer. the owner Mike is very cool, as is his wife. it's the kind of place where he'll tell you how much the scoot is up front, and the bikes are clearly marked. but it's also the kind of place where they entertain offers. and you can go down, call, or email....and just say "i need a 250cc. do you have anything on special, or leftover stock? this is how much i have to spend OTD, and no more!" i beleive late last year they unloaded two 2008 SYM RV 250's for around $3200. pretty good deals. and while some leftover stock may not be fuel injected, that might be ok if the price is right

its all good at NoHo :)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:56:56 PM by MrKymco »
scoots!

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
At 120 lbs. you should have no trouble maintaining 55 mph on the Yager. I am two of you and I can wring mine out to 65 so it should get there for you without problems.

That being said, the Grand Vista will absolutely fly with you on it. It has great acceleration and top end compared to the Yager. Either will run fine, but you are right that the fuel injection on the Yager is really nice. I rode mine all winter to temps in the single digits and never had trouble getting it started and riding away. I can't imagine a carb'ed scoot would come close to that.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
just wanted to post a few SoCal leads for the OP. never know when something good might be found. these have some promise, if not exactly perfect

Piaggio BV 250 $3300 obo

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2289667293.html

and a curious ad here from the SF Valley. looks like this person has a fuel injected 2009 Kymco Xciting Ri on sale for $3000. doesn't say if its a 250 or 500, just that it has "almost no miles" and is selling because its "just too big for an old man"

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2321128159.html

2007 Xciting 500, non fuel injected. and yeah i know its a 250 you're interested in, but who knows? this one is $2990 obo, BUT it had a "new" engine put in. so who knows why and what sort of overall reliabilty it will give?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/2319058909.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:14:39 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »
At 120 lbs. you should have no trouble maintaining 55 mph on the Yager. I am two of you and I can wring mine out to 65 so it should get there for you without problems.

Some basic physics: top speed of the moving object does not depend on the weight of the object.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

aidanpryde18

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Some basic physics: top speed of the moving object does not depend on the weight of the object.

At Bonneville I would agree, but in real life where you encounter turns and hills and stop lights, you may not have enough time to accelerate to top speed with a given weight before encountering an obstacle. I live in a hilly area, it is hard for me to find a long flat surface to really measure top speed. This should go into the equation for anyone looking at scooters.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()