Author Topic: Need help finalizing my tuning thoughts  (Read 4951 times)

Resolve

• View Profile
Need help finalizing my tuning thoughts
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
OK I have been researching and reviewing older post on here and trying to figure what I want to do. Now I need help to get towards finalization.

I am looking to change the roller weights and I am pretty set on going with the Stage 6 multipack to tune it until I like it then buy the rollers in the setup I like.  I am going with the 4.5 to 5.5g tuning kit.

Now my problem deciding lies with the Variator. 

I was looking to get the Malossi Multivar since it seems that alot of peoplpe like it, but I can't seem to find it available anywhere online, at least local to the US. Everywhere I looked shows out of stock.

So here is where the help comes in.

Should I

A) Stick with stock Variator for the time being and upgrade rollers torque spring, clutch springs and drive boss (if it hasn't already been, it was derestricted from place I got it but don't know if it is new boss or just removing washer.) and upgrade when it wears out.

B) get Polini variator, since i can find that online, and get upgraded rollers, torque spring, clutch springs.

C) Get the Naraku HS -High Speed Variator on enviromoto http://enviromoto.ecrater.com/p/4124977/naraku-hs-high-speed-variator
and get upgraded clutch springs

Let me know what you think. 

If I do A for now that should be a noticable difference compared to stock set up shouldn't it.

Thanks for any assistance.

Resolve

Resolve

• View Profile
Re: Need help finalizing my tuning thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »
Guess I should add I am looking for a smooth or as smooth as possible acceleration throughout entire range, and hope keep the top speed if not improve it from what I got now.

I drive it daily and my average top speed is 37 to 42 on a good day more around 37. some days in some areas I can get 46 and some days it just stays around 32 to 35 depending on wind. The way I drive it to work I have varying road surfaces and up and down hill areas and a couple of stretches where it is fairly flat road with no red lights for about a mile or so. Sometimes I get to about 37 to 40 on these  and 45 if all goes well but that takes awhile and speed limit being 45 and other doing like 60 it kills me. It is one 2 and 3 lane roads so I am not blocking traffic but would like some more..

BUt more so would like a smooth acceleration.  It takes off ok and them around 15 to 20 mph the power dies out until around 30 or so MPH.

I think it was slinger who said his had good take off and cruise up to about 45 mph and the could get 55 on open stretch. (i believe that is what I saw) That is what I am questing for.

I will get into intake and exhaust and jetting soon to acheive that, but to start I want to work on trans
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:01:19 PM by Resolve »

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:06:19 AM »
I am going to follow your post, because this is where I am at also.  I haven't done anything to my scoot, it is all original, but now that I am out of my warranty, it is time to make some adjustments.  I have a 2009 and has done great, I ride year long in Indianapolis. 

Thanks

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
Yeah since no one has responded, as of yet, I am thinking of going with option A for now until stock variator wears out. Also thinking of possibly getting a jetting kit and a free flow intake filter and tuning it.

I will let you know my progress.  I have been averaging around 35 for most part. 40 on decent days, 45 on great days with perfect road.

I got a couple of long stretches that I ride and I top out between 35 to 40 in most cases. but the problem also is on these stretches one is a main road heading to the beach but has trees on each side so if the winds coming off the beach I am running in a corridor of head wind and that makes me top out at 35 most days heading home. The other road I ride intersects this road but is close to the same trees and houses line the road so make a corridor for wind to blow. So head winds kill me.

But when I get to the areas near my house and work where it is red light to red light I normally do ok and can hit 40 to 45 on good days with the traffic creating the drafts. just wish it was smoother up to that 40 45.  Hence, the main reason I want to tune it for the smoother acceleration and if I can gain a little top end great if not I will deal with the fact it is a 50cc. :)  but overall I am pleased.

Here is what I plan or buying at this time:
Roller tuning kit with 4.5 to 5.5 roller weights
1000 torque spring and possilby 1500 torque spring
clutch spring kit with 1000 1500 2000 springs
smooth drive boss (if needed) which I may be able to get locally.

Once tuned with rollers will buy a good set and possible slider weights

Possible after thinking about it getting:
Jetting kit with multiple jets
UNI or free flow air filter

If all goes well I should have the main stuff in a couple of weeks. I may order next week when I get paid.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
I found this and thinking about getting it -->

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/kymco-agility-ncygy6-50ccperformancetransmissionkit.html

it comes with :
1000 RPM Spring
Spring Inner Diameter: 49 mm
Spring Height: 107mm
Roller Weight Size: 16x13 mm
Roller Weight Weight: 9 grams
Variator Outer Diameter: 89 mm
Clutch Drum Number of Splines: 22
Clutch Drum Spline Inner Diameter (peak to peak): 11.10 mm
Sliding Clutch Plate Outer Diameter: 119 mm
Drive Plate Number of Splines: 26
Drive Plate Spline Inner Diameter (peak to peak): 13 mm
Drive Plate Outer Diameter: 113 mm

it comes with 9g rollers, and I see all the time on here that heavier weights are not the way to go.  I may just do what you are thinking though, do a little at a time, since I am just learning I could replace all of that and if it doesn't work I have 10 things to check instead of just one thing.  I may just start out with the Jet - I have stock #80 on it right now, will go find an 82 and change it when I can.  I will post in this thread when I do to track everything i have done.  Thanks

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:03:29 PM »
If you are getting 45mph on an a50 and not having any mechanical problems I would leave it be , you are within 2 or 3 mph of the machines capability . If your a50 is not fast enough you might be better off with a scooter or motorcycle that better suits your needs . Good luck .

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
Thanks, I am happy with my top speed which is about 40mph on a nice flat stretch, I just need a little pickup on acceleration, but overall - I like how my bike runs - just looking for some more get up and go.

Thanks for the info on the machines capabilities, I thought it's max speed was around 55 <-- not looking to go that fast though :)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
The only a50 I ever heard of going over 50mph was Wordslinger . He is the "mad scientist" of the forum , lol . I haven't seen any posts from him for a while . He blew up his a50 and was riding a people 50 last I heard . I hope he is OK . Good luck .

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
Well if that is the case then I do hit the max every now and then, but would still like to increase take off. Top speed I can live with, but would like to get better take off and smooth acceleration.

Would like a bigger scoot or 250 Cycle but don't want to bother with the cost of getting motorcycle endorsements at this time.

I think I will just live with the scoot as it is other than some small tuning of the trans to get smooth acceleration and leave it.  I will work on cosmetics to make it different lol.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:10:55 PM by Resolve »

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
You might want to read some of Wordslingers old posts . You could maybe get some info on how he got his a50 to go so fast . He also put some video's on youtube . dhughes is the video author . Good luck .

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »
You might want to read some of Wordslingers old posts . You could maybe get some info on how he got his a50 to go so fast . He also put some video's on youtube . dhughes is the video author . Good luck .
Thanks for your help juice.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
Just curious, what did you end up doing?
I am in the same boat, but not really wanting to go with the polini because of the few reviews on here werent that good.

I like the full kit idea because everything should be designed to work with one another.
I think the heavier rollers are a good idea as long as you have a higher tension torque spring.
The reason 5g are good rollers is because of the weak spring, if you went to a 1500 or 2000 you would need to go heavier on the rollers to get the variator to expand fully.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
 I say leave your scoot the way it is because you will be spending money and being stressed and your scoot will be no better than it is now. My 2009 is fully derestricted and the best I ever did was @ 42mph.The cdi cut and the smooth boss were the only things that made a difference.I put in 5.5gr rollers,race variator,iridium plug,upjetted,etc and none of those things made a difference.I average 35mph and got used to it. If I could do it all over again I WOULD'NT!!!!   enjoy what you've got and when it's not enough buy a bigger scoot,please don't chase the impossible dream like I did.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
If it helps anyone out here's what ive tried so far,

Fitted race variator ( Cheapo chinese gy6 clone one)
Smooth boss
#82 main jet
Cut CDI

The race variator gives a much better,smoother acceleration and a couple of mph top end ( think i got 3-6 mph). I had a flat spot at 25-30mph on the stock variator(like it was changing gear), after fitting the race variator i only had a very, very, tiny, slight flat spot around 30mph till i fitted a stiffer torque spring, then it just goes smooth and steady.

Been messing with weights and springs all week trying different mixes, heres what ive found on my A50,

1000rpm torque spring with 5.5g rollers gave me high revs, decent acceleration, decent uphill speed (30-40mph depending on hill), decent pick up after slowing for bends, top speed of about 45-47mph showing on dial.

1000rpm torque spring with 7.5g rollers, died on steep hills to 20-25mph, slow acceleration, never reached top speed, couldnt find a road long enough.

1500rpm spring with 7.5g rollers gave me lower revs, ok acceleration (not great but ok), slower uphill ( 28-35mph on same hill), slower pick upafter slowing down, top speed 46-49mph.

1500rpm spring with 3x 7.5g & 3x 5.5g rollers (works out the same as using 6x 6.5g rollers, ie stock weight), this set up gave me very similair results as the 1st set up but with the engine not screaming so high revs, a slight better top speed 46-49mph, just hits the 50mph, some times a mighty 52mph, down looooong hills.

Im off on my hols on Monday but am waiting for a fly spring set coming from Tiapai S.A so will do more experiments then. Thinking i may try the last set-up with 6g rollers and 1500rpm fly springs for better take off and slightly higher revs. For me the 5.5g worked well but it just felt too high on the revs with the 1000rpm torque spring in and i lost a couple of mph top end.

Im thinking the 5.5g is too light for a 1500rpm torque, the 7.5g is too heavy, 6.5 is almost perfect, so hoping 6g is just right.

I felt with the 5.5g rollers in that going down steep hills my engine would give a slight hesitation at 46-47mph, then  it was like my engine caught up with the scooter and would go a little faster, with the 6.5g and 7.5g rollers this went away so im thinking it was just too light in the roller dept on the 5.5g's.

Hope you find this useful, your scooter may be slightly different but cant see it being so far away.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:13:34 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »
I haven't done anything to mine yet.  It's my daily and just haven't had the funds or time to do anything to it. I really want more Acceleration.  Like Streido mine has a dead spot from 25 to about 30ish mph based on speedo, although my speedo is off by like 5 to 7 mph.  But I top out around 37 to 41 based on gps depending on day.  and that is stock with derestriction.  With Upgrades I hope to gain acceleration and maybe 45 mph.

As for the variator if I can't get the multivar I am thinking a cheaper knock off racing variator. Like the one MRP sales it is $47.

http://www.gokartsusastore.com/SPD/n-mp-03554--80000D62-1208272688.jsp

It looks to have everything.

But this will be after I get my other ride probably. I got a hell of a deal on a CBR600 F2.  Person my wife works with was selling it for $700 just to get rid of it.  It needs some work, but even if I do all the work I think I may need should come out to about $1500. That will become my daily and the scooter will be my weekend vehicle to ride when my wife and I want to go out. She has a Hyosung Prima Rally.

I love the scooter just need that little more low end take off. And once this becomes my side vehicle I may upgrade other stuff like going open filter and all since it requires tuning and all which I don't ahve time to do with it being my daily.  BUT DEFINITELY NOT GOING BIG CC UPGRADES OR ANYTHING.  Just want it to be my fun driver.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()