Author Topic: It died and wouldn't start  (Read 1095 times)

kcjoe

• View Profile
It died and wouldn't start
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
2009 People 50 died at light and can't restart.  Have replaced plug, filled with gas checked coil and auto bystarter for electrical ohms.  What's next?

GM6969

• View Profile
Re: It died and wouldn't start
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:24:13 AM »
did you check spark plug...does it have spark ?
Is the piston moving...up and down when you moving slowly kickstarter?
Is carb receiving fuel ?
What more symptoms are there, does starter working... if you kick kickstarter...what happens...

kcjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
To follow up with this story.  After replacing coil, fuel pump/filter, gasoline, sparkplug and wire and cleaning carburetor, it still didn't start.  It turned over and I couldn't keep my finger over the sparkplug hole when cranking, so assumed it had enough compression.  The local scooter shop (only one who works on Kymcos) found it had a broken/burnt piston ring.  I was a little dismayed since I had never run it out of oil and it has 6500 km on it.  They finally told me it was covered under warranty, but that I had to pay for carburetor cleaning .  I went ahead and paid it, but I know the carburetor was clean.  Fatal heat damage after only 6500km is what really got me.  They told me not to run it with throttle wide open.  Is this normal?  I always run with it wide open when I can.  I weigh 175lbs.  Am I being unreasonable?

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
This does not sound normal to me. I have over 10,000 miles on my 09 People s200. I run her wide open all day. no problems. As the warranty was still good, this scooter must not be de-restricted. It is usually the de-restricted and / or tuned scooters that cook pistons. Good luck in the future and you might consider getting a larger People (I love the s200 as she feels light weight but has enough power to feel safe in traffic.)
-rob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()