Author Topic: returning rider after 23 year spell what was i thinking?  (Read 7026 times)

keveve

• View Profile
returning rider after 23 yearRe: spell what was i thinking?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:52:05 AM »

Just got our licences Wife and I Am 70 and wife (cant say) I had Vespas in 1950s but after hit by guy in stolen car gave it away, Still loved the idea and we have Just purchased 2 Kynco Like 125s (one each) after a breif stint with a Honda Scoopy and Yamaha Jog. Still mad caravanners with 4wd but loving the scooters. We are in retirement village in Australia where people say we are mad but so what i can't live for ever.
[/quote]

[
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:01:07 AM by keveve »

BradleyT

• Cape Town, South Africa
  • My two-wheel mobile armchair...
    • View Profile
Re: returning rider after 23 yearRe: spell what was i thinking?
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 07:17:54 AM »

Just got our licences Wife and I Am 70 and wife (cant say) I had Vespas in 1950s but after hit by guy in stolen car gave it away, Still loved the idea and we have Just purchased 2 Kynco Like 125s (one each) after a breif stint with a Honda Scoopy and Yamaha Jog. Still mad caravanners with 4wd but loving the scooters. We are in retirement village in Australia where people say we are mad but so what i can't live for ever.

[
That is so cool  ;D I like you attitude!! I hope you and your wife (Eve?) enjoy your riding...and dont forget the protective gear!  (Where are the pics??)
...everything will look better when the sun comes up...

My Twitter:  scooterbrad

keveve

• View Profile
Re: returning rider after 23 year spell what was i thinking?
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »
Hi Brad Currently on caravan trip until end of June in South Australia 800 klm from home. Will take and post pics of our new Like 125s (Red and White) when we get home.  Yeah got all the kevlar gear, gloves helmets etc got to protect fragile bones  Kevneve
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:51:01 AM by keveve »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
I have been driving scoots for 12+ years now as my primary means of transportation, but it has been almost 6 years since I sold my Kawasaki.
It is incredible that this much time has passed.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

BradleyT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
Hi Brad Currently on caravan trip until end of June in South Australia 800 klm from home. Will take and post pics of our new Like 125s (Red and White) when we get home.  Yeah got all the kevlar gear, gloves helmets etc got to protect fragile bones  Kevneve

Nice! Maybe even include a pic of the trip?  I am in South Africa (I believe that there are more thana few S'Africans there as well), which is both beautiful riding and caravanning country - but I sold my caravan a few years ago. Maybe include a pic of your rig as well  ;)  . Safe Travels...

BradleyT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:46 AM »
I have been driving scoots for 12+ years now as my primary means of transportation, but it has been almost 6 years since I sold my Kawasaki.
It is incredible that this much time has passed.

Do you miss tha Kawa?  I sometimes think that I would not mind getting a Duelie again - but that would mean selling my scoot  :o , which is NOT going too happen  ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »
Do you miss tha Kawa?  I sometimes think that I would not mind getting a Duelie again - but that would mean selling my scoot  :o , which is NOT going too happen  ;D

Interestingly, I mostly miss suspension and brakes of "regular" bikes. No that much acceleration.
Scoots have very poor suspension compared to motorcycles. (nakeds, sport touring)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
First scoot I've owned at 48.  Rode my bro's Goldwing at 21yo but never went for the endorsement.  Just got a used Agility 50.  Fun.  A little nerve-racking driving it 13 miles home from the dealer on some busy roads, but getting more used to it.  Still can't get da wife on it though after 1 week's time.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

petertucky

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
I guess I was away 30 years.  Had a Honda 360 as my last bike at 17.  Then bought the Xciting 250 last fall at age 47.  I never worry what people think about my Scooter, because I know that 60+ mpg is a great thing.  I think many big bikes get worse mileage than my wife's Mazda 3.  I did seriously consider getting a URAL Russian side car bike, and might yet someday.  But they get terrible mileage.

Have any of you folks looked at the URALS.  Talk about a neat looking machine.  The URAL company basically copied the plans of the WWII German Sidecar bike machines, updated the engine a bit, and now make them again.  If you look at the one with the desert camo, WOW. 
Petersburg, Indiana

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »

Have any of you folks looked at the URALS.  Talk about a neat looking machine.  The URAL company basically copied the plans of the WWII German Sidecar bike machines, updated the engine a bit, and now make them again.  If you look at the one with the desert camo, WOW. 

They look cool, but I would be worried about reliability.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

petertucky

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »
They look cool, but I would be worried about reliability.

I believe that was a real issue with some of their first machines.  But they figured out quickly, kicking the ways of a command economy, that if they wanted to survive, they better improve.  I am told that the reliability is now pretty good with the new ones.   Not Kymco good, but good.
Petersburg, Indiana

Undecided 300i rider

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 05:09:05 AM »
I've been out of "Scooting About" for about 6 years ... but some of you guys have been out longer than I have been alive. And here I was thinking that I was WAY out the loop.  ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 10:14:45 AM »

I believe that was a real issue with some of their first machines.  But they figured out quickly, kicking the ways of a command economy, that if they wanted to survive, they better improve.  I am told that the reliability is now pretty good with the new ones.   Not Kymco good, but good.

I surely DO HOPE that reliablity is not "Kymco good", because Kymcos are all but reliable, despite popular fairy tales...  ;D 8)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
I am afraid I disagree on Kymco good. My People S 125 has been perfect. Haven't done anything but oil and tires. This is the fourth season and it has 30,200 K on it now. I hope the DT300i I am picking up at noon will be as good.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »
I am afraid I disagree on Kymco good. My People S 125 has been perfect. Haven't done anything but oil and tires. This is the fourth season and it has 30,200 K on it now. I hope the DT300i I am picking up at noon will be as good.

Lucky you. That's what statistics is for, and there is statistically significant and statistically insignificant specimen. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()