Author Topic: What Are 50cc Scooters Good For  (Read 13728 times)

Red Horn

• View Profile
What Are 50cc Scooters Good For
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
I assume the ideal rider would be one that only rides tight inner urban areas or short hops.

Beyond the licensing breaks and low purchase cost what are their strengths?

Can you contrast 2 v.s. 4 stroke engines?

With proper maintenance will they last as long as a 125cc (plus) machine?

In the Kymco line does one stand above the rest?

scootermaven

• View Profile
Re: What Are 50cc Scooters Good For
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:44:11 PM »
I assume the ideal rider would be one that only rides tight inner urban areas or short hops.

I live in a decent-sized central N.C. city where the majority of the streets have a posted speed limit between 35 and 45 mph.  My KYMCO Like 50 2T scooter will easily travel with traffic of either speed limit, topping out at around 45-ish mph.  I use mine to go just about anywhere around town for errand-running and also pleasure rides.  I ride year-round too, but I don't ride in inclement weather.  I could easily drive the car, but I prefer to ride for the most part.  Perhaps it's the adventurist in me.  I also ride in a scooter club and we travel longer distances near 100 miles or more, often riding on 55 mph roads with no real issues.

It's FUN, man!  Inexpensive to operate/maintain.  Easy to park just about anywhere.  Very easy to handle...lightweight, nimble, agile.  And last, but not least, they are not so fast as to get one into too much trouble...speed can be fun, but is addictive and CAN be more dangerous.    

Personally, I love the 2-strokes...quicker acceleration and better hill-climbing power, higher top speeds, very tunable for more performance, less expensive to repair and/or rebuild when necessary.  2-strokes are not nearly as good on fuel economy, but the extra power is worth it to me...the additional performance is more safe, to me.  2-strokes can be more temperamental, especially if you don't use high-grade fuel, let them sit for too long or just don't keep them maintained per the recommended service schedule.  I have had a fuel-injected 4-stroke and it wasn't too bad on performance, as most 4-strokes go.  

With "proper maintenance" and especially preventive maintenance, depending on how you ride, under what conditions you ride and treating the machine with the respect it deserves, it's not likely you would be disappointed with a 50cc's longevity vs. a 125cc scoot.  Longevity depends on so many variables, but one in particular, is that you must consider the speeds in which you will mostly travel to determine the amount of cc's you really need.  If you plan on doing a lot of 40-45+ mph riding, get the larger displacement scoot.  At speeds over that range, you'll be riding wide-open throttle on most 50cc class scoots and that does tend to decrease longevity somewhat, depending.  

You will find it hard to beat the reputation of the KYMCO 50cc 2-strokes...they are super reliable (with proper care), reasonably powerful, pretty smooth, offer good fuel economy and not too noisy in most cases.  I have owned several 2-stroke KYMCO scooters and probably my personal favorite (overall), has be a People 50 2T (2-stroke), but I personally prefer the retro-styled scoots.  I do love my Like 50 2T, especially when considering the modifications I have done to enhance it in many ways.  I really love the Vespa/Lambretta-like styling evident in the Like's design.  I get a lot of compliments when riding it around town, so that tells me people like the design.  If you like more of a sport bike design, the new Super 8 50 2T is AWESOME, especially with a few performance modifications...A GORGEOUS SCOOT, in my opinion.  If I hadn't have purchased the Like, I would have gotten the Super 8 2T for sure.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:56:35 PM by scootermaven »
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »
Some places treat 50cc scooters like bikes and let them park in bike racks,
They may not require insurance
Some use them when they loose there driver's license (liquor cycle)

I think the bike difference in the scooters are there are some 4 stroke (no oil to add) and some 2 stroke (easy performance enhancement), I think some are air cooled.  Style would be next factor.

I did notice they were all listed as being less than 50cc actual displacement; 49.0-49.4 listed.  This makes a difference in some states.

alpha300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:28 AM »
I live in the burbs of Montreal. All the non-highway roads have a maximum speed limit of 50 km/hour or less. It is the same everywhere on the island of Montreal. In addition to my 50cc scooter, I have a convertible sports car that I love to drive everywhere. Going on long highway journeys is grand, but I like the scenic routes and in particular the lakeshore road along the Lac St-louis and Lachine Canal. It's just fun. However, the cost of fuel, general cost of ownership, parking costs, and speeding tickets offsets the fun a little -well a lot! The other thing is, driving a sports car at the posted speed limit is like sucking a tit through a sweater. Excuse the expression. Sick of getting tickets and fines or holding back. The short-term fun just isn't worth it.

Enter the 50cc scooter!

OK, so I look a bit like a tool riding a scooter... a fit young professional in my late thirties. Many people don't understand why I would bother. (hopefully this will explain a little). But I don't care. Its fun and doesn't pollute as much as a car. I own a People s50 4t. It easily keeps up with traffic and gets me to my destination in the same amount of time as it would have taken in my car (off highway of course). I have the sense that I cannot be rushed on a 50cc scooter. It just wont allow me to go fast, so why bother trying or getting stressed. I enjoy the ride instead of trying to get somewhere quicker or hit an apex just right while cornering at an illegal speed. I don't worry about getting stopped by the police for going slightly over the speed limit by mistake. I travel without even thinking about fuel cost. Its negligible at this rate of consumption. With rising fuel costs (and this trend is irreversible)  I found myself limiting my car outings or at least trying to or at least had the extra expense weighing on my mind. However, when I ride my scooter, I don't consider fuel  as a  limitation.  Registration and insurance is minimal. Parking costs are non-existent. I find myself feeling carefree again. Isn't this what its all about? I love it. By the way, I have a beautiful wife who agrees with living a more simple life, being environmentally conscious and is not impressed by sports cars. This helps. LOL!

4t versus 2t: Before I purchased the scooter, I was agonizing about which to choose, 4t or 2t? All based on my conditioning to want more power, more speed, etc... I wanted speed in excess of the speed limit - why? I dunno? It made no sense. I opted for the 4t which is more reliable, less polluting, and has a more civilized sound to it. Acceleration is not so great, but I am willing to sacrifice that for less maintenance and calm/quiet gurgling of the engine as opposed to the frenetic buzzing of a 2 stroke. But at the end of the day, I chose a 4t because it was the only option available for the People s50 in Canada - and it was on sale! I liked the "adult" size and look of the People and couldn't see myself riding any other style other than a classic Vespa. The People s50 4t shares the frame of of the People 125 so it looks and feels like it has more substance.

I was tempted to try squeeze more power out of the engine with extensive and expensive mods... reverting back to my conditioning!  However, I came back to my senses and I am enjoying the ride stock - and loving it. Its hard to break free of that conditioning. However, when you do, it feels great! and the scooter will still be under a 2 year warranty.

Gonna get rid of the sports car. That's how much I love my 50cc People S50 4t scooter - and my wife!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:20:44 AM by alpha300 »
Alpha300

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:49:02 AM »
That's the target customers. But a world traveller can be an ideal rider too.
With a "Kreidler R50" scooter, Günter Markert travelled around the world from 22.2.1954 to 8.7.1955, through 33 countries on 4 continents, up to 4600m altitude.
He rode alone, he was his own journalist and camera team, no service vehicle.
Now in 2011, with a BMW R 800 GS (or similar) and a professional service vehicle accompanying, it's much easier.
In EU: no (bi-)annual technical inspection, no tax, no official number plate (only insurance plate).
Lightweight (important for young/small drivers or mobile home), agile, economical, ...
There is much to say. Wikipedia!?
Yes. A 50cc 2stroke engine is easy and cheap to replace. The framework puts the limit.
Perhaps the Grand Dink as the biggest 50cc scoot of all. But regarding quality there are many excellent scoots.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:50:41 AM by ts1 »

grantourismo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:26:32 AM »
I used to own a SYM dd 50  2 stroke  i lived in auckland new zealand, 1.5 million population city.

with modification  70 CC engine  roller spring and exhaust.
It is great ! Runs well no need much maintenance. Last long.
My brother uses it now , he added wrong oil in the bike he added lawn mower oil
and seize engine.  however after all petrol and oil drain out of it. Add proper bike 2 t oil
it still runs well  ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
If you use scoot for transport, and you do some mileage with it during the year, I do not think that 2 stroke scoots are that good option.

Usually the cylinder + piston will have to be changed any time between 25 and 35.000 kms. This will set you back for 100-200 US$ + cost of repair work.

At that mileage, the crankshaft will not be in the best shape either.

Also, 2 stroke scoots burn oil, which adds to the utilization price. Usually you need 1 l of oil per 700-800 kms.

There are parts that are prone to failure in 2 stroke engines, for example, spark plugs tend to foul and last 2-3x less than in 4 stroke scoots. Intake ports tend to get stuck and even though they are inexpensive, you are stuck with a scoot that cannot fire up. Sometimes parts of it can get into the cylinder and damage it.

However, small 2 stroke engines compared to 4 stroke engines develop twice the power, they are more fun and if you enhance them, you can with few 00 bucks reach performance of 125 cc 4 stroke.

I just think they are not well suited to covering 15.000 kms/year with them.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
I know a guy with far more than 100000km (yes 5x"0") on his Yamaha Neo's. With 2nd cylinder (exchanged at 70'km) and 1st crankshaft.
Ok, he is a "professional" scooterist driving about 15'km/year on this single scoot and not the typical careless driver with 2'km/year.
The well known Piaggio Ape uses a 50cc 2 stroke and is known for their reliability (miniature commercial vehicle, of course don't compare with a 40 tons truck).

Modern 2 stroke engines use about 1:33 - 1:50 lubrication, 1 litre oil can last 1500km.
(The Neo's of my wife had only 2.7 litre/100km fuel consumption, my Quartz had an average of 3.2 litre.)

Of course the 2 stroke run much more dirty than 4 stroke and require different maintenance, more frequent cleaning and exchanging (instead of valve adjustment etc.).
Imho with a 50cc displacement limit their power advantage is a very important factor. But surely not in the world of a K1600GTL or GL1800.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
Where I live, Huntsville, AL. and Marietta, GA. I wouldn't even consider a 50cc scooter unless it was highly modified.  My Super 8 150 does OK but I wouldn't want anything slower.  I'm running within 10 MPH of top speed most of the time just keeping up with traffic.  Top speed is just over 60 MPH indicated but probably about 55 actual MPH. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
I know a guy with far more than 100000km (yes 5x"0") on his Yamaha Neo's. With 2nd cylinder (exchanged at 70'km) and 1st crankshaft.

I also knew a guy with 130.000 km Neo. :) :) :)
Two cylinder kits and original crankshaft.

However, this is not the norm. Usually, Italian and French scoots are dead any time after 30K km.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 05:24:31 AM »
I live in NC with a 50cc scoot. I have no insurance, no registration, and no license. It is great! If I could do that with bigger displacement I certainly would have.

As far as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke it is really personal opinion. I went with the 2 stroke because of performance. I searched and searched for a 2 stroke and thats how I was introduced to Kymco. I pass other 50cc scooters all the time and I know they are mad ;D. I love it.

Really if all you do is urban riding a 50cc is great. I move around in the city way faster than the cars. Of couse I don't live in the city so I do a lot of country riding. Not really a big deal. Just let the crazy people pass when they have too. You'll know if somebody is going to respect you or not by how fast they come up in your rear veiw. I just get over to the right side when they go to pass.

lol, I have thought about carrying some paintballs in my pocket for crazy people that piss me off :D. Probably not a good idea though ;).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:26:31 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
Dont know what to say but to yes to all of the above.

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
I have owned my Kymco Super 9 for 6 years...it is a 2 stroke 50cc scoot...no engine modifications.  Top speed 48+mph depending on which way the wind is blowing!

For in-town riding especially in the City you can't beat it!  A 50cc scooter's light weight makes it super fun in town, easy to manuever and easy to park.

Very little maintenance...no valves to adjust or engine oil to change.  And since I NEVER made any engine mods, there have been no problems.  The engine is not tempermental at all.

Most of these 50cc scoots never really see the high mileages some of the other posters have mentioned.  Most only accumulate around 1,000 miles/year if ridden 3 seasons.  I've seen many 20+ year old Honda and Yamaha's for sale with less than 20,000 on the clock!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Cloud

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
I just want to answer the original question.
What are 50cc scooters good for ?
They are good for me!

Red Horn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 04:50:39 AM »
How much advantage if any is there in two-stroke acceleration and top speed over a four?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()