Author Topic: HELP!? -- '03 People 50 Carburetor/throttle  (Read 1550 times)

wingman7000

• View Profile
HELP!? -- '03 People 50 Carburetor/throttle
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here to the Kymco forums but have had a 2003 People 50 for a couple of years now. I've really been having problems with getting it started. It would take me about 30-45 minutes to get it started, but once I did it would run smooth. Since the weather is getting nicer I decided to clean the carburetor to see if I could get it to start better. Well, now it won't start at all pretty much. I've gone and adjusted the pilot jet, the air valve, idle everything I can think of and did get it to start. However, the thing is running wide open. I think I may need to tighten up the pilot jet a bit and close the air a bit too, but one thing I noticed is that when I try to throttle up with the handle, I get no response. I think the throttle valve is sticking in the carburetor and not moving because I can get a response by moving the needle inside the carburetor with needle-nose pliers. I don't have much experience with carburetors so I feel really lost as to what the problem is. I also know that the throttle cable is not broken because it will contract when I take it out of the carb. This is really driving me crazy so if anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

wingman7000

• View Profile
Re: HELP!? -- '03 People 50 Carburetor/throttle
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:49:36 AM »
Please don't judge  :P, but I have another question...when the manual says to turn the air flow valve 1 turn, does that mean 360 degrees or 180 degrees? ???

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
ok first "one turn" is always 360 degrees

As for the enigine running wide open. Something is not right. Are you putting the throttle needle back in right? The retainer has a notch on one side and will only go in a certain way.

I can't think of anything else but I am no expert. Maybe somebody else on here can help you more.

Good luck
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
does it run wide open all the time or just when it first warms up?? It sounds like to me its either your idle jet or your air mixture setting.

wingman7000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:31:04 AM »
right now its all the time. I think it may be the pilot jet. I tried to spray carb cleaner through it and it didn't come out the other side. I am trying to clean it again, but will probably order a new one too just so in case I can't clean this one.

Anyone know of a good place to order carb parts?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()