Author Topic: First Valve Clearance Check Agility 125 - Need Help!  (Read 8532 times)

MrKymco

• View Profile
First Valve Clearance Check Agility 125 - Need Help!
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi guys and girls :)

Ok a couple of quick questions. This is what the service manual says:

Inspect and adjust the valve clearance.
Valve Clearance: IN : 0.04mm
EX: 0.04mm

However I recall reading somewhere this is for the Agility 50, and the 125 is different? Is this a fact, or am I mistaken? I watched a video on youtube of a guy adjusting the valves on his Super 8 and he says 0.04mm for both valves but idk? What say you all?

Also, the guy says the bolts on the valve cover are to be tightened to 16 foot pounds per the manual, but only tighten them to 10 foot pounds or you can damage the valve cover? Make any sense to you guys? And what should the Agility bolts on the cover be tightened to? It's all in metric and I am confused :(

AND, do I need a torque wrench for this, or can I get away without one if I am careful?

Ok, so I guess I am going to do this later. Just a matter of taking stuff off, checking, adjust as necessary, and putting stuff back on, I guess

Thanks for the help and bye for now!  ;D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:44:03 PM by MrKymco »
scoots!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: First Valve Clearance Check Agility 125 - Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
I have a service manual for the Super 8 125.  I believe it's exactly the same engine.  It says valve clearance is .04 for both valves.  Can't help with the torque values for the valve cover, it doesn't specify in the manual.  The manual does give general torque values for different size bolts so if you know what size bolts you have I can look it up for you.   I would recommend getting a Torque wrench.  You should be able to get a small one calibrated in Inch pounds from Harbor Freight for around 20-25 bucks, that's what I did.

Do a google search to convert metric to english values.

My first valve adjustment is coming up on my Super 8.  I may let the dealer do the first one and check everything over just to cover myself in case of warrantee issues. 

It looks to me like the most complicated part of the valve adjustment is removing all the bodywork to get to the engine.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
thanks for the reply. i have the day off so am doing a bit of maintenance. heading out now to get supplies, and will pick up a torque wrench

i will trust our manuals unless someone  posts otherwise. so far as the Super 8 valve adjustment you may find this useful if not for now, some other time. its what i am following to check my own

if anyone has more info, plz post. i am not doing the valves just yet, and it could be tomorrow as i am doing a couple other things to the scoot today
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:30:26 PM by MrKymco »
scoots!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
Great video.  It explains it much better than the Service manual.  As far as over tightening the valve covers, this is why I recommend a small torque wrench calibrated in inch pounds.  When you are dealing with small torque values, a large wrench calibrated in ft lbs will most likely not be that accurate and easily overtorque a small bolt.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
16 ftlbs for covers seems a bit high to me. 10mm hex is 5 or 6mm thread which is pretty small for 16 ftlbs IMO but I already said that, didn't I.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »
Looked up "metric bolt torque table" and found 7.8 ftlbs max for M6-1.00 thread.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
my ag 125 manual says .12 mm for both intake and exhaust. the ag 50 says .04 for both intake and exhaust. I can send you the manual for the 125 if you want. hope this helps. here is a screen shot for the 125:

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:12 AM »
I do my own valves on my agilty 50 and when I put the cover back on I just do a real good hand tight. have not had any problems yet. its a real easy job just takes a little time because of all the plastic you have to remove to get to things.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 12:06:33 AM »
thanks for the input, guys. i will be checking the valves soon. and i have taken note of the conflicting info so far as clearance. checked MY service manual and it says 0.04 or w/e

if someone else wants to chime in, great. if not i will simply check them and if they are right on the money (or close) one way or another i will assume that is an accurate reading of where the should be, as the scoot most likely doesn't need an adjustment

i am just checking :)
scoots!

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »
Now I'm confused. My manual says .12 mm for the agility 125. I am curious what your valves were before you adjusted them and the clearance you have now. I included the manual page in the photo below. I need to check mine so let me know please if .04mm works for you and if you are sure your info is accurate. I believe you said you didn't have the 125 manual.

""checked MY service manual and it says 0.04 or w/e""

Thanks.

I am also not sure what 'w/e' means from the above quote. Thanks.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:21 AM »
.12 millimeters = 0.00472440945 inches

Thats what my service manual calls for on my People 150. When I first checked the valves thats what they were set on from the factory.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
hey thanks guys. checked them and at 2300 miles they are exactly on spec, no adjustment necessary. the "bottom" valve (exhaust?) felt a bit grabby with the .004 feeler but on the other hand felt too "loose" with the .003. so i just left it. which i think is fine. IOW it had a bit more friction then the top valve at .004 but the feeler still got in there and slid around.  .003 and it had too much "play"

and the confusion about the proper setting? well my service manual does indeed say .12mm. BUT on another page it says .04mm. which is clearly a misprint i know now, and should read .04in

thanks again guys :D

oh and what is that chrome looking tube thing attached to the valve cover? important? i think i striped the bolts / threads on one or both of them securing it on, but its just sitting there, anyway. so who knows wtf its good for ???
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:08:49 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 01:17:31 AM »
 Here is a screen shot of a few pages down from the previous post which tells us to set the valves cold at .04mm. As opposed to the .12mm that we are told to set the valves to at the beginning of the section. So apparently setting them cold is the way to go at .04mm. Not that I ever set them when they are nice and hot but some may prefer it that way. Thank you for bringing this topic up MrKymco. Glad you are having good luck with your valves.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 01:50:52 AM »
.04 millimeters = 0.00157480315 inches

1 thousandths is a little too tight for me. They are not set this tight from the factory. I will stick with .12mm or .004.
 The reason you set them cold is to get the proper clearance so when they heat up the slack is taken up and you have 0 clearance hot. If you set them too tight when the engine heats up there will not be enough clearance and the valves could burn. If they are set too loose they will clatter a bit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:21:16 AM by scooterdude »

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
Thank you scooterdude. You are right. .12mm =.004in . Gotta watch what I read.  I will use what MrKymco used, the .12 mm  (.004 inches), cold. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()