Author Topic: Need better acceleration and uphill speed.  (Read 5496 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Need better acceleration and uphill speed.
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »
Hi,
Ive had my Agility 50 for 3-4 months now and did a de-restrict from the advice i found on this forum.
Here is what i've done so far,

Changed the boss
Cut the CDi
Put in a 82 main jet
Put in 5.5g rollers

Im now getting around 47mph on the clock (43mph using gps on my phone) but it takes a while to get there and going uphill it drops to the 30mph mark on the clock. I think i was getting 3-4mph more with the stockrollers and have not noticed any real improvement using the 5.5g rollers.

Ive just ordered a race variator, couldnt afford malossi so ordered a chinese clone, and 7.5g rollers to try them to improve my top speed a bit maybe. Do you think i shold be putting in a 1000rpm torque spring too?And will this improve the acceleration?

Im pretty happy with the top speed just now but another 5-10mph would be great, if i can do it cheap enough. Im hoping the combination of the new race variator and rollers will improve performance but just not sure about the whole torque spring/clutch set up so any advice would be great.

Decided today to strip it down and painted the panels since it was sunny, laquer them tomorrow then get it back together on monday ready for my new parts arriving mid-week. 
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Need better acceleration and uphill speed.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
sounds like you did good cant do much more. I find people that do to much end up paying for it later.
the more you try to improve the speed you may also do harm.its best just to go to a bigger scoot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
I also heard some horror stories with folk trying to tune their scoot to the max and having non stop bother with it. Im not too bothered about more top speed really because i travel in traffic in 30-40mph zones so cant really get up past 40-45 anyway. If i could just improve the acceleration a bit so i feel it pull away quicker then i would be happier.

Will see how the new variator and 7.5g roller combination does once it arrives 1st, then maybe go for a 1000rpm spring later.

I just thought that if i changed to a 1000rpm contrast torque spring it would help me on pulling away/accelerating and going uphill? It gets embarrassing when your holding everyone up trying to go up a hill.

I know its never going to be a rocket ship and dont plan on touchng the air flter or exhaust.............. yet. I need it to stay reliable so i can get to work on it every day.

Thanks.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
oh, and the reason im not getting a bigger scoot just now i that i dont have a license for anything over a50cc.

I also have a peugeot speedfight 100cc that someone gave me for nothing as a non runner. Was a shed but i rebuilt it and resprayed it, sorted out the immobilisor on it, now it looks great and just passed the MOT test 1st time. Had a shot of it on the back roads out of the sight of any cops and it was faster but i wasnt overwhelmed by it, did 55mph-ish . I was going to keep it and do my test to use it but now i think i will just sell it and make some cash instead.

Plan oon doing my test maybe next year then moving up to a more powerful scoot or bike.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
You would get MUCH better hill power and top speed with a 2 stroke 50cc . Good luck .

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »
7.5 wow I dont know they might be to heavy. I woulden go no bigger then 6.5 and no lower then 5.I tryed 5 and the take off was to slow and 5.5 is good to get me across traffic good. and keep my top end up the to 45 to 48. 35 up hills.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »
What are you running clutch wise blue? Did you change any springs etc?

I thought 7.5g was heavy myself but the place I ordered my variator from advised 7-8g rollers. Said that was how they ran their shop scoot and found it the best setup. Im not convinced but ordered a set anyway, already got 5.5 rollers so I can mix and match a bit and see how it runs.

Just dont know if its worth changing my contra spring too to a 1000rpm one?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
new clutch put in last winter But I beleave its stell the same as a stock one. I have a friend that has the same scoot and he has tried to put stronger spring in and can only get scoot up to 48 to 50 on a good day. you can try the 7.5 rollers and better spring if you got the cash and the time.But im stuck with beleaveing that the best thing to do is go with bigger scoot. the 70 kits I have seen to many belts burn out and other problems happen after that.   If its not broken dont fix it.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
Wont be fitting a bigger kit cos im sure it cant be good for the motor unless you spent a fortune on internal mods too. Will mess around trying different roller weights and see how it goes with the new race variator next week, hopefully it will make a difference.

I just get annoyed going uphill and accelerating to max speed. Once I get up to full speed its fine but I need a long road to get there. See how new bits go 1st then may try a new 1000rpm spring later if im still not happy. 45-50 would be great if I can get up there quicker.

Thanks.
Will post some pics soon to show my new look, I think its much better looking now since I resprayed it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
good luck let us know how things went

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »
Will do, hope to get my parts delivered midweek.

Heres a post i put up showing my scoot since i resprayed it. http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4087.0

Let you know how the parts work out soon as i try them.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
oh, and the reason im not getting a bigger scoot just now i that i dont have a license for anything over a50cc.

My same reason.  I am thinking of three options. First getting everything tuned in relation to the trans. weights, springs and all and be happy with it and do some cosmetic mods. I really just want a little more jump off the line. Extra top end is good but not necessary. I go any where from 35 to 45 depending on day

Two get a second scoot, maybe another 50cc and see what I can do to really tune it. That way I have a back up.  I am mechanically enclined and can build and rebuild if needed but would like it to be a back up scoot in case it does decide to go south. then rebuild. 

Three just get a bigger scoot.  Yeah I may be happy, but one I either pay more to get the motorcycle endorsements, or I ride without endorsements and hope I don't get pulled over for whatever reason.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »
Yup resolve, same issues. I got a 100cc peugeot that I just rebuilt and was goin to use but I cant afford the 120 bucks to do the test and I would also req to wear learner plates for 2 yrs or until I sat my full bike test. Dont think ill change scoots jst now for that reason.
Will try my new variator because I think that may help. I get goin not too bad but I slow at 25-28mph and then speed up again over 32, its like a flat spot due to the variator I think.

Will post how it goes with new kit fitted next week. If no good enough i m goin to try a 1000rpm spring but not goin to do much else if that doesnt help cos its not worth it. Better to go sit my test etc I think cos id spend as much trying to tune my scoot as I would to just pay for test and go for a bigger scoot/bike.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »
Yep same rough area of my drop off.  Then once it gets power again I am almost topping out the 50cc so not gaining to much.

I think variator and torque spring will make a difference. And possible clutch springs.

As for endorsements, they offer motorcycle classes around me, but the run around $300 to $400.  I know they are good and I know they help. I just have other things I can throw $400 at. but for about $150ish I can tune trans components and be happier with my take off.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Im sure i will notice some better performance from the variator, its meant to be lighter and have different planes for the rollers etc. My scoot was sold as a restricted bike from the factory so it really wasnt set up to run over 31mph, thats why i think i get a flat spot near 25-30mph cos i guess i was meant to be topping out at that speed. Now i get 47mph max on the clock, on a flat road with no wind, so i imagine the race variator is designed better for that speed and is better "geared" to suit it. I hope so anyway. Plan on keep checking ebay to try pick up a cheap 2nd hand sports exhaust then i would change the air filter and maybe upjet again, but im in no rush to do that just now and im pretty skint too. See how the new variator does and will post to let everyone know once i fit it. Fingers crossed.

Just worked out how much in $ it would cost me to sit my full bike test. You think you got it bad? $825!!! or £500 here in Scotland, its a weeks course ?driving instruction then my test for that price. Man, i should get a free scoot too for $825, crazy. Been driving my 50cc on my car license cos thats legal (ok, its not 100% legal since i derestricted it) seems dumb to have to take lessons etc when i know how to drive already. Im sure i wil do the test eventually but right now its too expensive. Any way i would just lose my license for speeding if i had a fast bike, You get 3 points here for speeding , i got 6 already from driving my car, 12points and you get banned. Think i got 3 coming off this year so im back down to 3 points, once i got none i can get a bigger bike.

I just want to go fast, as cheaply as possible, without losing my life savings or destroying my engine,50mph is my max target, anything over that cant be good for a standard engines internals,in my opinion. But what do i know. :-\
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()