Author Topic: Losing oil, nasty sounds, People 150  (Read 734 times)

Partsguy

• View Profile
Losing oil, nasty sounds, People 150
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

Couple of things going on, wanted some opinions on what might be happening.

People 150, 2006, 30,000km.  Regularly changed oil, last changed drive belt and rollers about 7000k ago, using Malossi kevlar belt and Dr Pulley 14g rollers.  Last valve adjustment at about 23000km.  Probably need to do that as well.

A few weeks ago my People 150 made a bang/clank sound, and stopped running while doing about 40-45.  Coasted safely to the side, was late for work, so started it back up and kept going.  It started making a steady rattle sound after that.  I had not changed anything about my driving habits or route, although was perhaps riding a little harder that day.  It happened going down hill if that helps.

Anyway, didn't think too much about it, and should have.  I checked the transmission for anything obvious looking.  Belt is still good (planning to change in next couple of months), and no sounds from the transmission side that I could tell.  Checked the oil a few days after, and I had less than 1/8th of a quart. 

So, my questions are, what would have made the oil leak out, and what's the possible damage?  I drained the oil that was left, refilled, drained and refilled.  (Was running Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil, have been since I got it with no problems.  Can't get it any more, switched to Maxima 10w40.  When I found I was so low (typically on a sunday afternoon...) I had to use synthetic 10w40 from an autozone (castrol I think).  Have been running for a few weeks now, and although the rattling sound (think of the sound if you held a playing card against bicycle wheels wheels as a kid) went away and the bike worked smoothly right after the oil change, it's back to making the rattling sound. 

I checked the oil again, it's low, about a quarter up the dipstick.  Have refilled and will keep checking the oil level. 

I noticed that the plug from my air box breather tube is missing.  However, I don't remember seeing it there any time over the last couple of years. 

marioG

• View Profile
Re: Losing oil, nasty sounds, People 150
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:51:26 AM »
what kind of plug...is it after box...

more air can burn engine in winter running on standard jet....lean mixture...

kymco service and check engine...

oil can be 10w40 15w40 so if is not a leak, burning oil can mena only one thing..... :'(
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()