Author Topic: 2008 Super 8 50cc 4-Stroke De-restriction advice  (Read 6369 times)

berwid

• View Profile
2008 Super 8 50cc 4-Stroke De-restriction advice
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
Hi All,
Sorry, I'm a newbie here so I may be asking a question already been answered. I purchased a Kymco Super 8 second hand for my son and I want to improve the top speed. I have read a lot of posts on a number of different forums and I'm getting various answers about what I can try. I understand that there are a number of mods that I could make, as follows;

1. CDI - cut one of the pink/violet wires or replace with an unrestricted CDI unit
2. Variator Boss - Replace the tapered boss with smooth boss
3. Variator rollers - Replace the standard ones (what weight?) with lighter ones for better acceleration or heavier ones for better top speed.
4. Carburetor Main Jet - Change the size from 80 to 82 or 84
5. Carburetor Air Flow -  Remove the plastice restricter from the back of carb.
6. Exhaust - Remover the restrictor (if there is one) or change the exhaust (Leo Vince or similar)

I have checked the CDI wire and this has already been cut but it doesnt seem to have made any difference? I even reconnected it to see if that made things worse which it doesnt seem to have? My questions are

1. Does anyone know why the CDI wire mod doesn't work
2. Can anyone recommend any of these work best as I dont want to waste money on ones that dont

Thanks Dave

HooChi

• View Profile
Re: 2008 Super 8 50cc 4-Stroke De-restriction advice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you are. I would like quicker acceleration and more top end speed.
2010 Super8 4T

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
That makes 3 of us.... I found a great site but it seems to be in German.
http://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/begrensninger.php
If anyone could translate that would be fantastic!

Mine is brand new so I havent cut that wire yet, but posts like what you guys are saying makes me not want to.

I have heard the China keeways will go 45 right out of the box.... stuck at 32MPH is a real bummer for a $2,000 Bike.

pmoneysuper850

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »
i have a  2 stroke  super 8 50. the stock jet  was a  70,  so i put  in the one  that came with it(80). I can feel the difference but still have a hard time going past 30 mph. im going to put in a clutch kit and change the boss. Now im scared to cut the CDI(from what i am reading).

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
i have a  2 stroke  super 8 50. the stock jet  was a  70,  so i put  in the one  that came with it(80). I can feel the difference but still have a hard time going past 30 mph. im going to put in a clutch kit and change the boss. Now im scared to cut the CDI(from what i am reading).

That is odd... my 2t is unchanged from how the dealer sold it to me, brand new. I am easily seeing 37 MPH into the wind on the flats and easily over 40 on the downhills.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

dreamchord

• Proud owner of a 2011 Super 8 50 2T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:19:31 AM »
My 50 2t also came from the dealer with an unrestricted CDI unit, but had been restricted down to a 70 main jet and restricted-variator bush.  However there was smooth variator bush and 82 main jet inside the unit.  Replacing these two parts should get you to 37 on flats and 40+ on declines.  This summer I'm planning on further modding my super 8 with a Molossi Variator, Leo Vince Exhaust TT and up-jetting.  Will post my results in the forum.

Yet even with JUST the unrestricted variator bush and 82 main jet installed I find this Kymco much more responsive than my '09 Agility 50, and for that matter better than just about any other 50cc scooter out on the road with me here in Boston.

pmoneysuper850

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:33 PM »
Dream, im  in Lowell, Mass.  Let  get together and  ride sometime.

I  got my scoot  doing  40 42  with  the 82  jet and the boss.

Will an after marketexhaust add more speed to the bike?

BTW  i have a  2 stroke

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »
Yeah, my scoot is definitely breaking in. I'm seeing 37-40 on the flats and even slight incline. I hit 42 on a flat on my way home from work today. I've seen a touch over 45 on a downhill. This is all indicated, so it could be a tad less.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:11 AM »
You guys are doing well then...
I have already performed a few mods to mine and I have less than 100 miles on it still.
Upjetted to 88 (was a stock 82 in there)
Installed K&M Free flow air filter (I left the main one on there and just took off the tube running from the box to the carb, that way I didnt have to mess with those vacuum lines)
Tried to replace the variator boss with a smooth one, but it was already smooth.

Probably going to go to a racing/performance variator next.... either the moss one or the polini

Either way I cant get over 35mph...

Any chance its because of the airbox still being on there with the vacuum lines hooked up?

Thiesson3114

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
That makes 3 of us.... I found a great site but it seems to be in German.
http://scootergrisen.dk/scooterhjemmeside/begrensninger.php
If anyone could translate that would be fantastic!

Mine is brand new so I havent cut that wire yet, but posts like what you guys are saying makes me not want to.

I have heard the China keeways will go 45 right out of the box.... stuck at 32MPH is a real bummer for a $2,000 Bike.

Its danish and i can translate it for you :) just give me a section of the text and ill do my best

ilkinandr92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 02:10:46 AM »
i get 40 mph with malossi var and new clutch spring

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()