Author Topic: Looking at buying my first scooter, found an Agility 125  (Read 7471 times)

jstluise

• View Profile
Looking at buying my first scooter, found an Agility 125
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:09:23 AM »
Hi all,

I have been throwing around the idea of getting a scooter for driving around the city.  I ran across a 2009 Agility 125 for sale locally and it only has around 375 miles on it.  It looks to be in great shape, and the people hardly rode it.  They are asking $1500, but they aren't firm.

What price would you feel comfortable at with this scooter?  I read somewhere these retail for around $2000?  I'm thinking if I can get them down to $1200 I would be getting a good deal?

Granted, this is a Kymco forum, but is there anything I should watch out for with the Agility 125.  I read some good reviews on the it...seems like a quality scooter (compared to the cheapo scooters they sell at autoparts stores  :P)

Thanks!

clarksib9

• View Profile
Re: Looking at buying my first scooter, found an Agility 125
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:45 PM »
Hello!

I too am new to scoots, rode a moped for years as a kid but nothing faster than 35.

I just purchased a 2011 agility and paid 2100 OTD with a nice GIVI topcase and first service included.  Figured that was a decent deal, not a homerun but decent.  I would say $1500 is a good deal for yours and $1200 would be fantastic.  The seller should be able to get $1500 easy if they hold out for it.

A few things I noticed about the Agility - As a noob (so take with a grain of salt)

1.  Very peppy ( I am 200lbs ) and very agile, just like the name hints.

2.  Rear brake isnt as strong as I would like, maybe that has to do with being brand new.

3. Front brake is excellent.

4. Since there is nothing substantial in front of you when riding, I decided to get a small touring windshield and will install that this afternoon.  I also purchased mirror risers extenders so I could get a better view of what was behind me.

All in all I love this scooter and I think it will serve me well.  Sounds like you have the option to make a great buy!

dudley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
msrp is only $1800.
offer them $1000.
2010 super 8 150  red/black
bought march 2011
4000 miles march 2012
dr pulley variator w/stock weights
top speed 61.5mph  gps verified

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
Thanks all for the input.

clarksib9, thanks for the review.  Some of the reviews I read mentioned the brakes (maybe just the back) being a little mushy.  Not a big deal, since the front contributes more to braking.  Other than that, the reviews were great!

I didn't realize the MSRP was $1800, good to know.  I will shoot them an offer of $1000 and see where that takes me.  Just from looking around locally, I didn't see any 125 scooters in this good of shape for under $1500.  Saw some in the $1300 range but they all had A LOT more miles on them.

I do have a feeling once the weather starts getting nicer they won't have a problem selling it for $1500.  Hopefully I get a good deal!

Thanks again  :)

clarksib9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
As long as you can afford it and you are happy with it, you got a good deal regardless of what some of the outlier's are going for  ;D

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
I'd check kbb.com and nada.com just to get an idea. Factor in what the new ones' reduced MSRP does, and be reasonable with the seller to arrive at a fair price. If I were selling one right now, and someone offered me, say 15% less than book, I'd flatly decline. With gas prices where they are, this is a seller's market for a well-maintained Taiwanese scooter.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
I'd check kbb.com and nada.com just to get an idea. Factor in what the new ones' reduced MSRP does, and be reasonable with the seller to arrive at a fair price. If I were selling one right now, and someone offered me, say 15% less than book, I'd flatly decline. With gas prices where they are, this is a seller's market for a well-maintained Taiwanese scooter.

... and you can expect gas prices to double to reach the lowest gas price in Europe. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:05:50 PM »

You're absolutely right.  I checked kbb, which gives a suggested retail at $1310.  With the mileage on the scooter and the condition, I'd say this is an okay price.  I'd be happier getting down to $1200.  I shot them an offer of $1000, so we'll see where they want to meet me.  I can always play the "poor college kid" card  ;D

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »
He shot down my offer of $1000 with a counter offer of $1300.  I told him I'd consider it if he met me in the middle at $1150.  It sounded like he was interested.  He told me to give him a call to meet up this weekend and we can meet somewhere around that price.

Honestly I haven't seen any 125 scooters in this condition (w/ low mileage), so I think $1150 would be a killer deal!  Maybe I'll have myself a new scooter this weekend!  :D

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »
... and you can expect gas prices to double to reach the lowest gas price in Europe. :)

Trust me, once you figure in the taxes we pay to spend more than seven times what the next largest military spender (China) spends a year, our gas prices aren't so cheap, either.  :-/

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
Trust me, once you figure in the taxes we pay to spend more than seven times what the next largest military spender (China) spends a year, our gas prices aren't so cheap, either.  :-/

Yes, I know about that, but industrial-military complex is one of the main factors keeping US economy going. It is a very broad subject, probably exceeding the scope of this thread. :) This makes for a good reading - http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine .

Remember that marginal income tax for me is 54 % and 23 % VAT on every purchase.
Trust me, US has a long way to go to reach this rip-off level of taxation. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 06:02:31 AM »
Well, I'm a proud new owner of a 2009 Agility 125  ;D

The scooter is in great shape with only around 600km on it.  The only thing wrong with the body is a small crack on the main body cover, but it looks like it is due to stress on the piece when it was assembled...like the piece didn't fit quite right and it was forced into place.

One other thing is that the horn button is missing (ie the button popped off, revealing the contacts under the button).  He said it was missing when he got it, but he has never needed it so didn't worry about it.  Is there any way I can get this plastic button?  If so, where?  I'll be driving in the city and the horn would be a good thing...besides won't they check my equipment when I go in to get my motorcycle endorsement?

With only 600km on it, he has not done any maintenance on it (oil changes).  I know the manual says to change the engine and trans oil at 300km, but I also read people not doing this.  Thought?

Anything else that you recommend I do to the scooter before I start riding it, please let me know  8)

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
OIL CHANGE WOULD BE GOOD, IF IT START RIGHT UP ON FIRST TRY THEN YOU NEED NOT A FULL TUNE-UP. THE BUTTON YOU CAN TRY ON EBAY BECAUSE ON INSPECTION THEY WILL ASK YOU TO HIT THE HORN---YOU CAN ALSO TAKE A LOOK AT THE AIR FILTER & SPARK ETC JUST TO BE SURE OF THE CONDITION OF SCOOT-------ENJOY
ALL STOCK

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
Change oil now, both in the engine and final transmission. It will cost you around 10-12 US$.
Then forget about the scoot until 10.000 kms except changing oil every 2-3.000 kms.

At 10.000 kms change spark plug, adjust valves, change air filter.
At 13.000 kms change roller weights, belt and tires.

Then come back and tell us how you like your A125. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the info!

The motor starts right up with no problems.  The off idle throttle response isn't great until the engine is warmed up all the way, but this is expected.  I'll still go through and check the plug and change the fluids like you all suggested.

The recommended oil is:
-Engine- 15-40 API-SG
-Trans- SAE90

Should I stick this these recommendations, or have you guys found a better alternative?

What octane gas are you running?  I see in the manual it recommends 92 or 95?  Anyone running 87?

As for the horn button, I don't know if I will be able to locate just the button.  And looking a little closer at it, it looks like a little plastic piece is broken (might be the button hinge).

I might have to get (if I can find it) the entire assembly.  Otherwise, I'll have to rig something up to work.  **Found the entire assembly online for around $40.  http://www.swamotorsportwarehouse.com/servlet/-strse-5577/KYMCO-SUPER-9-LEFT/Detail Kind of sucks I have to pay that just to get my horn back.

I do have some minor body stuff to take care of.  There are a couple cracks I want to get glued up.

Not that big of a deal.  Also, there are some of the fasteners missing.  The little plastic ones:

The rear fender is off-center a little bit:

It was probably like that when the PO got it, unless that stay was bent somehow.  I'll probably tweak it back so the fender is centered.

I saw a bolt hole that looks like it had a bolt in it at one time (center of picture)

Any ideas if there was a bolt in there, and if so what the purpose of it was.  I thought maybe a wire loom or something...

Thanks everyone for the help!  8)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:46:14 PM by jstluise »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()