Author Topic: transmission smoothness question.  (Read 2153 times)

Chi8

• View Profile
transmission smoothness question.
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
So my question is how smooth is your acceleration? I am new to the whole twist and go scooter transmission. When I accelerate quickly the transmission seems to grab quite hard on take off. If I give it a little throttle to the point where the trans starts to grab it feels very rough. Thoughts? Get used to it its fine? Oh I'm on a super 8 150 with about 1600 miles. New to me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:12:04 AM by Chi8 »

Chi8

• View Profile
Re: transmission smoothness question.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
No comment?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
My super 8 has 2200 miles on it.  It is my first scooter and it seems very smooth to me.  Other than a couple of minor trim pieces falling off I have not had any problems.  I did find some loose bolts which I tightened. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
Keep in mind how your Super 8 gets going.
If you spin the engine quickly, the clutch is going to move quickly as well.
If you spin it slowly, the weights in the clutch don't move as quickly and you will feel the thing engaging.
Also, the stock clutch is a piece of crap.  It looks like they glued three tiny tabs of butter on to the thing.  Taking the clutch apart and getting the glaze off and generally cleaning the belt and clutch will help.
My Super 8 is the same.  Sometimes I miss a motorcycle clutch, but not in city traffic.
Just go like hell all the time and you will be fine!

Chi8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
Yeah, I guess it's just the nature of the clutch. I just drove another Super 8 150 with the same feeling.

Thanks for the input. Carry on!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »
...there are no weights in the clutch...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »
The clutch
The clutch allows the scooter to idle with the engine running by isolating the rear wheel from the transmission. It operates in much the same way as the variator, being of a centrifugal design. As you twist the throttle, the engine increases its speed and the belt drive spins the clutch. As the rotational speed increases, centrifugal force causes the clutch inner to expand, and begin driving the clutch outer, which is connected to the rear wheel.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()