Author Topic: Been parked for almost 2 years. RUNNING NOW! Need idle help!  (Read 3734 times)

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
Modified: See post #14 for current status (Still need help).

This has probably been addressed, so if there's a thread somewhere with great information on it, I'm all ears and apologize for asking what's already been stated.

I work on my bike (Suzuki 650) and my car, so I'm confident this won't be a problem, except that I have zero experience with carburetors.

My current plans are to:
Put the carb in a dip or something overnight.

Pull the battery and have it charged & tested.

Drain all gas and put in fresh gas.

Drain and replace oil.

Anything else I should do before I try to get her running again?

She's got about 3000 miles on her and got parked long term once I had a Ducati, heheh. It was my first 2 wheeled mode of transportation, and I learned a TON on it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:24:10 AM by wrxdonkey »

axy

• View Profile
This has probably been addressed, so if there's a thread somewhere with great information on it, I'm all ears and apologize for asking what's already been stated.

I work on my bike (Suzuki 650) and my car, so I'm confident this won't be a problem, except that I have zero experience with carburetors.

My current plans are to:
Put the carb in a dip or something overnight.

Pull the battery and have it charged & tested.

Drain all gas and put in fresh gas.

Drain and replace oil.

Anything else I should do before I try to get her running again?

She's got about 3000 miles on her and got parked long term once I had a Ducati, heheh. It was my first 2 wheeled mode of transportation, and I learned a TON on it.

Oil in transmission, oil in front brake and check air filter.
You will be good to go for many happy thousands of miles. :)

I would also trash the tires ASAP.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
Oil in front brake? What viscosity is that?

old mod

• View Profile
Think Axy means hydraulic brake fluid ;D

axy

• View Profile
Yes. We call brake flud "brake oil" in my language. Isn't it so in English too?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5132854_change-brake-oil.html
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

old mod

• View Profile
you got me on that one Axy, all i know is that oil on paintwork is ok, but brake fluid will peel it right off!

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
Yes. We call brake flud "brake oil" in my language. Isn't it so in English too?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5132854_change-brake-oil.html

AH! Brake Fluid! We use that stuff too, heheh.

When I think oil, I think gear/engine/tranny oils.

axy

• View Profile
AH! Brake Fluid! We use that stuff too, heheh.

When I think oil, I think gear/engine/tranny oils.

I guess it must be British English/American English difference.

... and when you say tranny oil, I think this: http://www.thetf.net/uploads/Blaster/2011-02-02_144019_tranny3fx.jpg

::) :P ;D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
I guess it must be British English/American English difference.

... and when you say tranny oil, I think this: http://www.thetf.net/uploads/Blaster/2011-02-02_144019_tranny3fx.jpg

::) :P ;D

/puke

LOL, either way, I appreciate your input.

I tore the carb apart last night. It was disgusting. The float chamber was literally green in certain areas with gummy funk.

Came pretty clean with carb cleaner and I'm going to let it sit out and dry for the next few days, as I have to wait for the battery to come in off of the internet.

Any additional suggestions before I try to turn her over once the battery arrives?

Do I need to prep the carb by adding fuel to it before it starts for the first time?

marioG

• View Profile
now, just take oil can and wait....

were u find squeaking...give it a blast......not to apply on brake discs,,,, ;D ;D ;D
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

old mod

• View Profile
you will have to fill the carb, best way i've read on here is to use the kick start to pump fuel through, about 15 kicks, plenty of exercise!

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
you will have to fill the carb, best way i've read on here is to use the kick start to pump fuel through, about 15 kicks, plenty of exercise!

Thanks a ton for the info... someone else told me to fill the carb with gas and Seafoam before I try to start it... any support for that idea, and if so, how the hell do I do it? lol.

Also, the carb was DISGUSTING!

I'm just wondering HOW clean it needs to be... I've got the jets nice and clean so I'm wondering what else I need to be concerned about with regard to the carb.

juice

• View Profile
Seafoam is a gas additive , it works great I use it all the time , mix 1 oz per gal of gas . It stabalizes your gas and cleans the fuel delivery system . Good luck .

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
Thanks, and I'm guessing the kick start will get some of the treated juice into the carb?

wrxdonkey

• View Profile
UPDATE!!! THE BEAST LIVES!!!

Okay, got her running.

Went for a short ride... top speed was 40mph, and she was sluggish to get there.

So 3 questions:

1) Why is the idle so varied and how do I make it consistent?

2) Why do the brake lights/blinkers cause the rest of the bike to dim as if it doesn't have power to support them? Brand new battery.

3) How do I get it to produce as much power as it did before (briskly achieving 60mph) instead of putting along and not responding tremendously well with the throttle.

I had to take the carb apart 100% so I'm not sure what the idle and pilot screws should be set at (how many turns from full lock?)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:33:27 AM by wrxdonkey »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()