Author Topic: Noob in trouble. UPDATED  (Read 4428 times)

klown

• View Profile
Noob in trouble. UPDATED
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:17:16 AM »
Hey everyone. I just got my first scoot. A 2004 Kymco zx 50. Problem is that it sat for awhile so when I got it I knew it was gonna need work. I shot some fluid to her and she fired up and ran for a few then bogged out and died. I took the carb off cleaned her all shiny and new and put her back together. No change. I can put my fingers over the carb and it will stay running well. I figure it's getting too much air not enough fuel. Been looking for about 3 hours now trying to get some help and can't find anything. I downloaded the manual adjusted the jets as said. Fires up runs bog bog bog and die. Anyone give me a clue as to what I can do? Thanks everyone.

Update: Ok after about a week of trying to figure this thing out I have decided that it's bound for the graveyard behind my house. I have checked everything I know of and everything that I have found online. Can't seem to find anyone who can help me so it remains a mystery. Oh well onto the next project.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:06:31 PM by klown »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: running rich - any input would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:30:25 AM »
Just off the top of my head, it sounds like blocked pilot jet. Don't scrap it, I would be glad to take it off your hands.:)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

klown

• View Profile
Re: Noob in trouble. UPDATED
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:36 AM »
Honestly I have cleaned and sprayed so much ether in this carb it should be sparkling like gold on the inside. I have a couple more things Imma try tomorrow I found on another forum. Then if it fails again it will make it's way back to the "yard art" section and I'll just work on my vespa project.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:39:37 AM »
You will have to open the carb up to clean it properly. Try poking a guitar string through the jet to dislodge any blockage.

klown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:25:52 AM »
Well after soaking it overnight and brushing and running wire through everything I could get a wire into I think I finally got it clean enough. It looks like a brand new carb now. We got it all put back together and started her up. She was a little rough at first and I think I still need to tweak on it some. But the good thing is she's up running and zipping around the yard. She doesn't have alot of power but I kinda figured she wouldn't being it's only a 50cc. Well now onto the mods. Should be fun.   ;D

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:27:28 AM »
If you decide to scrap it, I got dibs on the body panels!!! ;)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »
And I want the engine! :)
See, they are a much admired scooter.

klown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
Yeah if she ends up going to scrap I'll let you guys know. For now on with the mods and about to teach my oldest son to rider her. Should be a fun experience. I can already see her going down at least once. Hopefully he'll do well. Thanks again for all the input guys. Really helped out alot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »
Good luck with teaching your son, you will have a ball and so will he.
Just look after those body panels for shaka ;)

klown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:50 PM »
Yeah we got him on it and he took to it like a duck to water. He hasn't gotten off it since about 11 this morning except to eat. LOL. I'm so proud of him. He can barely touch the ground sittin on the seat but he's doing great. Guess he'll be after my harley next lol.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06:16 AM »
That's good to hear, with the harley, it's just a matter of time.:)

klown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
Yeah he's 13 so he'll be driving in a few years. lol. So far so good. She's running decent. Smokes a little bit but I am just chalking it up to it being a 2 stroke. Is that a normal thing with these?

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
If it is not smoking a little you need to worry , yes smoking is normal . It is also normal to add 2 stroke oil on a regular basis . Good luck .

klown

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 09:34:33 PM »
Yeah I filled it and the gas up and my son has mainly been riding it. I can't keep him off it he's having a blast lol. He's already burnt up 2 tanks of gas in it. I think I need to adjust the carb a little though. If you go down the road and hold it wide open it spits and sputters a little bit. But it is a blast to run around out here in our little town so I'm happy with it.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15:17 PM »
Sputtering usually indicates a rich condition, the air filter being dirty is a common cause of this. maybe try cleaning or replacing it with a new one.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()