Author Topic: Anyone got pulled over for riding a 125cc without a motorcyle license?  (Read 8723 times)

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
In Wisconsin you need a motorcycle endorsement (license) to operate anything over 50cc.  Yet, Kymcos 125 models don't look really any larger than the 50cc offerings.  Has anyone got pulled over riding a 125cc and ticketed for not having a motorcyle license?  I would guess one giveaway riding a 125cc that could be noticeable to law enforcement is perhaps riding too fast.

Also, I assume there is no problem getting a 125cc scooter licensed and titled without a motorcyle license.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

sparko

• View Profile
No problem in Indiana getting it licensed and titled. Our state has no issues with taking your money on a yearly basis. My 2007 Agility cost me over 100 dollars to license and register it and it will not go down for another year. Then it pro rates to about 45 dollars yearly in six years. It will cost roughly 450 dollars for 5 years. I bought if for 1000 dollars. Pretty good business, and I forgot to include the sales tax that the state got when it was bought new and again when I purchased it used. And the tax that the dealer had to pay. It adds up. You can bet the cops are looking for their share. They will find you sooner or later. Then you will have to pay court costs and higher insurance on all your vehicles. You will have to pay for impoundment costs. In my case, knowingly riding an unlicensed bike would jeopardise my job. So decide if that is a good  road to go down. Too many things to consider so I just got the endorsement and registered it. I sleep better. :)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
I know only one person here in Nashville who was cited for not having the M endorsement. He was stopped for rolling a stop sign in my neighborhood on his Buddy 125. In general practice, it seems that someone has to do something egregiously stupid on a scooter to get the attention of the local cops... I think it hurts their machismo to have to ticket a scooter rider.

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
No problem in Indiana getting it licensed and titled. Our state has no issues with taking your money on a yearly basis. My 2007 Agility cost me over 100 dollars to license and register it and it will not go down for another year. Then it pro rates to about 45 dollars yearly in six years. It will cost roughly 450 dollars for 5 years. I bought if for 1000 dollars. Pretty good business, and I forgot to include the sales tax that the state got when it was bought new and again when I purchased it used. And the tax that the dealer had to pay. It adds up. You can bet the cops are looking for their share. They will find you sooner or later. Then you will have to pay court costs and higher insurance on all your vehicles. You will have to pay for impoundment costs. In my case, knowingly riding an unlicensed bike would jeopardise my job. So decide if that is a good  road to go down. Too many things to consider so I just got the endorsement and registered it. I sleep better. :)
Actually, not really asking about riding it untutled/unregistered.  I've paid the registration fees and license plate fees and all that.  Asking about riding a scooter larger than 50cc without a motorcycle endorsement on your DL, even when such scooter looks like a 50cc and whether anyone has been stopped in such a situation.  Madison is a big college town, so there are TONS of scooters everywhere.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

Portland Steve

• View Profile
I have not been pulled over for driving without a motorcycle license.  That is because I have a license.
Why the need to cheat the system?  Are you weighing the cost of getting a license vs. getting a ticket for riding without a license?
Sign up for a motorcycle safety course and learn the proper way to handle a bike.
Most courses will take care of the motorcycle riding test and written test too.
They are a fun way to spend a weekend.
Be safe, be legal.

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
I have not been pulled over for driving without a motorcycle license.  That is because I have a license.
Why the need to cheat the system?  Are you weighing the cost of getting a license vs. getting a ticket for riding without a license?
Asking out of curiosity more than anything else.  I just got a Agility 50 after agonizing over that vs a good used Suzuki 250 for the same amount of $$.  In the end, it came down to the license issue, the fact I haven't ridden a motorcycle for 30 years, and I guess also because the wife and kid said they would enjoy it, though I can't get my wife on it to save her life.  There are courses as you mention at the local tech college and at the Harley dealer ($200 vs $400), but the times aren't convenient enough right now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:45:22 PM by mrpackerguy »
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

ts1

• View Profile
I have an unlimited mc license.
But looking for riders without license is one of the favorite pastimes of our officers.

Roughly what can happen to adult criminals:
1st fine: approx. 1 month's salary
2nd fine: 1.5 month's salary + confiscation of vehicle
3rd fine: confiscation of vehicle + jail (for a lot of money suspended on probation)
(Still milder than "three strikes" in USA)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:46:51 PM by ts1 »

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
I have an unlimited mc license.
But looking for riders without license is one of the favorite pastimes of our officers.

Roughly what can happen to adult criminals:
1st fine: approx. 1 month's salary
2nd fine: 1.5 month's salary + confiscation of vehicle
3rd fine: confiscation of vehicle + jail
(Still milder than "three strikes" in USA)
Interesting.  What country are you in.  I know the European driving laws and violations are generally stiffer than in USA.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

ts1

• View Profile
Sorry, I forgot: Germany

axy

• View Profile
200 US$ fine. (around 20 % of average monthly net salary here).

Additional stuff for reoccuring offenders.

p.s. I hope that "reoccuring" is English word.

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
p.s. I hope that "reoccuring" is English word.

Close.  Try "recurring".  ;D
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

DowntownFl

• View Profile
I had the same issue with getting the endorsement.  Bought a Kymco Like 50c, kept it 1 week and took it back for the dt300i.  I took the 2 day course at $225 and Kymco sent me a $100 VISA Debt card for completing the safety course.  I'm very happy with the decision.  Now I can keep up with traffic and am legal to ride any motocycle.

sparko

• View Profile
""In Wisconsin you need a motorcycle endorsement (license) to operate anything over 50cc.  Yet, Kymcos 125 models don't look really any larger than the 50cc offerings.  Has anyone got pulled over riding a 125cc and ticketed for not having a motorcyle license?  I would guess one giveaway riding a 125cc that could be noticeable to law enforcement is perhaps riding too fast.

Also, I assume there is no problem getting a 125cc scooter licensed and titled without a motorcyle license.""

You have a wife and kid and you would ask a question of whether you should drive around town on a motorcycle without an endorsement? Do you like spending the holidays in jail so you don't have to eat dinner with the family? Is this a real question?

axy

• View Profile
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
The police where I live are taught to look for scooters with 2 rear shocks and moped tags . Some people either remove the badging or rebadge their over 50 cc scooters as 50cc . As far as Im concerned it serves them right when they get caught . JMO .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()