Author Topic: Super 8 restricted to 40km/h (25mph) by dealer  (Read 7548 times)

dreamchord

• Proud owner of a 2011 Super 8 50 2T
    • View Profile
Super 8 restricted to 40km/h (25mph) by dealer
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
Just received my 2011 Super 8 50 2T today which is great but we have major power issues.

The dealership I got my Kymco from (here in Massachusetts) "threatened" that they would restrict the throttle to 25mph if I didn't get plates on the scooter.  Which is rediculous, and well, they did just that.  I checked out the CDI unit, and to my surprise BOTH pink wires (that you see in some CDI diagrams) were not present, but it's beyond obvious that the throttle wont give my bike much juice. 

I'm aware I need to derestrict more than just the CDI, but I need to find out where they "further" restricted my bike to 25 mph (stock I think it does close to 34mph) with the throttle. Downhill it goes around 30 something, but on a flat nothing more than 25.

I will eventually swap out the variator, rollers, main jet, air filter, clutch and springs along with a new exhaust, but I need to at least derestrict the throttle.  when I cut the CDI on my 2009 Agility it jumped from 32 to about 37mph instantly.  25mph is just unacceptable, and downright embarassing.

Thanks!

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 restricted to 40km/h (25mph) by dealer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
When I visited a dealer prior to purchasing my Super 8 2t, I noticed that there was a variator boss without a step on it located inside the storage compartment.

When preparing to purchase from the dealer that is closer to me, I asked about them derestricting my scooter for me before I accept delivery. They stated that all scooters they sell are derestricted.

Sure enough, my Super 8 2t is doing 37 indicated on the flats, even into the wind. I've seen 42 on downhills and let off the throttle. Probably could see 45 or more indicated if I stay on the throttle.

I'm guessing this is the procedure for swapping out the boss: http://www.scootertherapy.com/bosspage.html
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

dreamchord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:54:37 AM »
Thanks ill_eagle for your response.  I hadn't logged back in the forum in a few, so this is my first time reading your response, but I can certainly co-sign to your response.  I had also found the unrestricted variator bush and 82 main jet inside the unit.  I went ahead and changed out the variator bush along with the 82 main jet to replace the 70 jet.  I have found similar results.  35 pretty easy, 37 with a little patience out on the flat and around 43 on a steep downhill.  I find it pretty quick off the line.  Next on my list of mods is switching out the exhaust gasket to increase HP.

After some incoming cash-flow I'm looking to rejet my bike, possibly a 95 jet with a free-flow air fliter.   Then a Leo Vince TT exhaust, Malossi Variator, followed by some tighter springs and 7gram rollers in the clutch.

I'm shooting for above 50mph on a flat.

pmoneysuper850

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
Dreamchord,  seems like we ar e inthe same  boat  lol  Icalled the dudes from one  of the professional scotter sites and   he told me  not to put a  free flow airf filter  cause it may cause  damage to your  carb.( idk  whats your take).
im  at  around  40-43  myself with just the 82  jet and boss.

let me khnow  how it goes for you  with  the  other  mods.

ride safe fellas

ill_eagle94

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:53:17 AM »
Let me know how the exhaust gasket helps out. I'll consider it if it's noticeable. I'm actually pretty happy with the scoot the way it is. Top speed is about perfect, I'm just looking to get there a bit quicker and hold speed on the uphill better.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2012 Honda Fit Sport

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
If a dealer ever threatened me with crap like that then I would just threaten them back by saying I will take my business elsewhere.
You dont need to show a car driver license to buy a car do you? As long as ypu load it into a van or pickup and dont drive away from the showroom I cant see his problem, you could even have pushed it home(or at least told him that till out of sight).

I would write a letter of complaint to the manager of the dealership and also Kymco head office.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

J-7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »

Sounds like the law. Get the plates! Problem solved.
:)

dreamchord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »
@pmoney the guys you talked to would be correct in telling you not to put a free flow air filter on your carb assuming you left the 82 jet in because this would cause for you to ride lean, meaning: air > fuel. Ideally you would want to run rich, meaning: fuel > air.  As long as you upjet correctly, let's say to a 95 main jet in your carb, it would require more air so you'd do the air filter swap in conjunction with the jet. At least that's the basic idea behind up-jetting. I've seen in this forum and others that a 92-95 jet works well with a free flow air filter on the 50 2t, but I'm now not speaking from my own experience.
@ill_eagle I haven't done that head gasket yet, but it gives you a few more horse power, so though I doubt we'd see much more top end on our machines it would (in theory) equate to better "hauling" so I think we'd get up those hills with a bit more ease and carry a passenger with less lag in the engine. I'll let you know when I do the mod.
@streido I completely agree. I think the only reason I had continued to give them my busiensss was because it was hard to find a super 8 around here at the time and I was just so impatient so I dealt with the BS, conversely I'm telling no one to go to that dealership. It's ridiculous that anyone should have to deal with that kind of crap when purchasing anything.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()