Author Topic: how to adjust frontbrakes  (Read 2924 times)

guile

• View Profile
how to adjust frontbrakes
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
I changed the front brakepads today and I noticed that only one of the two brakes needed the pads changed. The other side doesn't brake. I drove it for a while and noticed that only one disk got hot from braking.
Does anyone know how to adjust the brakes so that they both work?

ts1

• View Profile
Re: how to adjust frontbrakes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
Maybe the non-braking side is stucked in its caliper.
Have you checked for easy moving?

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
It moves easily
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:49:48 PM by guile »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
The right hand brake lever only actuates one front brake.  The other is actuated by the left hand lever as it is linked to the rear brake.  Were you using both or just one as an experiment?

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »
Ah Hoolander that must be it, of course! Thanks all, problem solved. ;D

smf500

• 2009 Xciting500RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:51 AM »
Pick up my new 2009 500 from the dealer next week.  He told me the brakes were not linked.  Is he wrong?  Can't wait to get on and ride!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
You should get an owner's manual with your scooter.  Mine (for my '07) explains on page 28 that the left hand lever is indeed a "combination" brake -- operating one front and the rear brake caliper.  The right hand lever operates the other front caliper.  My dealer explained this to me as well when he delivered my scooter.

This is confirmed by the schematic diagrams in the service manual and by the service instructions. I have also confirmed by tracing the brake lines myself when servicing them. 

I have no info on the '09 model though.  Look through your owner's manual when you get it. 

Congratulations on a fine ride!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:52:08 PM by Hoolander2 »

jrd4849

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »
Pick up my new 2009 500 from the dealer next week.  He told me the brakes were not linked.  Is he wrong?  Can't wait to get on and ride!
Your dealer is correct. They are not linked on my 2009. Left is rear only and right is both fronts.
Jim. 2009 Xciting500Ri

smf500

• 2009 Xciting500RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up guys.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
You should get an owner's manual with your scooter.  Mine (for my '07) explains on page 28 that the left hand lever is indeed a "combination" brake -- operating one front and the rear brake caliper.  The right hand lever operates the other front caliper.  My dealer explained this to me as well when he delivered my scooter.

This is confirmed by the schematic diagrams in the service manual and by the service instructions. I have also confirmed by tracing the brake lines myself when servicing them. 

I have no info on the '09 model though.  Look through your owner's manual when you get it. 

Congratulations on a fine ride!   ;)

Hoolander, do you think there is a way to adjust the way the brakeforce is divided between the  two brakes?

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 03:20:08 AM »
Off the top of my head, no.  When I squeeze my left lever I can feel braking start.  Then when I squeeze a little more I feel it smoothly transfer to the front caliper too.  In a panic stop there's really no delay -- I guess cause I squeeze so hard and fast.   :D 

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
Both front calipers are controlled by the right lever on my 2009 500Ri - but it is an odd setup.  A single line comes down from the master cylinder and connects under the line for the left caliper to the B position of the splitter, then the other line (right caliper) comes off of the A position of the splitter. 

Has anyone replaced this setup with two lines both connected at the master cylinder?  That splitter connection just looks odd to me - like the in should be on one side and both out on the other.  And why does it make a U shaped bend.  I've always replaced the straight through splitter setups with 2 lines and liked the change - it seems to me that this setup is just begging me to rip it out...

For being twin disk brakes with stainless steel lines - they should have a better feel and a stronger bite.  Maybe Kymco doesn't want us doing brakies?    :D
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
Strong point!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()