Author Topic: Ethanol  (Read 3342 times)

codger78

• View Profile
Ethanol
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
There are a number of critics saying that ethanol (E10..+) will cause problems with smaller engines.  Has anyone had experience with this in thier scooters?
borrowed dust

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
Re: Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »
With non-ethanol gas only being $0.20/gal difference where I live in Wisconsin, I just fill with premium non-ethanol.
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

DowntownFl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
In Florida we don't have a choice, all gas has up to 10% Ethanol.  The dealers recommend an additive added to each tank.  Amsoil is one of the additives recommended where I purchased my scooter.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
Ethanol has caused problems in my scooters , lawn mower , leaf blower , weed eater and chain saw . 1 oz. per gal. seafoam additive helps . Also try to find non-ethanol in your area here pure-gas.org . Good luck .

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
Ethanol sux IMO..... I try and find stores that don't sell it but of course it's everywhere now thanks to these frkn eco-hippie whacko's.  ;)   Do run 93 all the time in all my scoots with some sea foam every other? tank... Sea foam is a great product for your scoots.. there are like 2-3 different threads in here about the same product. ??? ::) ???
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Ethanol sucks A$$!!!  Especially, in marine motors!  I see deterioration due to ethanol on a regular basis on all small engines.  Keeps me afloat financially though! ;D  It seems that it corrodes aluminum and brass, leaves a horrible residue when dried, and makes rubber parts brittle.  I always add 1/2 oz. of Stabil Marine Formula to 5 gal. gas in all of my personal machines. I have used Seafoam as well, but Seafoam costs more than Stabil.  Seafoam is great, especially at cleaning out a dirty fuel system, but I've found that for maintenance and Ethanol damage prevention the Stabil is the more economical choice.  The "Marine Formula" Stabil is blue and specifically designed to counteract the negative effects of Ethanol upon your fuel system.

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 04:35:23 AM »
I think that Shaka has it right....The techs are now admitting that no additive on the shelves today, and disregarding all the hype about "stabilization", is going to prevent the alcohol (corn juice) in chance separation in the fuel mixture from slowly destroying engine parts in the smaller motors from motorcycles on down (and most particularly two cycle engines).....Poor fuel storeage and not using additives to best advantage will be causing fuel system problems, many of which show up on this forum.
It will pay well for anyone using ethanol fuel mix lucky enough to be without that kind of problem yet to check the facts and get smart.
borrowed dust

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
Ethanol is distilled and has a small amount of water in it, which can cause problems in small and older engines.
Also, ethanol is the biggest scam on the tax paying public!  Did you know that it takes as much energy to make ethanol as you can get out of ethanol.
Our government subsidized the production of corn for ethanol production.  It may keep some farmers in business, but it is a waste of money otherwise.
We should be using sugar cane to make fuel where you can get 8 times the energy out that you put in. ???

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:04:39 AM »
thanks to these frkn eco-hippie whacko's.

Absolutely incorrect -- due to bought politicians handing out wingnut welfare to Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, ConAgra, et al. Environmentalists for YEARS have been pointing out that it takes more energy to refine ethanol for use as a fuel blend than is produced in an ICE.

Get your head out of talk radio, son, and learn something.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
I agreee with J.Prestonian, it a government con job. Just read an article in a classic car mag I get and it quoted it cost around £2+  compared 62p to to produce the same amout of ethanol. Say its bad for all old and small engines, fuel lines, piston rings degrade etc cos it burns at a higher temp. Cars built pre 2007 are not suited, most after then maybe ok tho. Doesnt sound good for a scooter engine tho. Our UK gov is subsidising the ethanol production at a cost of millions just to lower their carbon output, currently we have 5% in our fuel :-(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
Can't we just "wash" our gasoline with water ?

I once measured the amount of ethanol in gasoline by mixing it with water. Most of the ethanol will solve in water when you add some to gasoline, but the gasoline itself won't mix with the water ... (the difference in height of the layer of water before and after mixing is even visible without measuring)

Has anyone anywhere tried to use de-ethanolized gasoline like this already ? As far as I can think of, the only thing you need is a reliable way of separating water from gasoline without having to throw away too much gasoline with the waste water (and it would also be very nice if the resulting water/ethanol mixture would be pure enough to drink heheheh... :-)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »
NON- ETHANOL GAS IS AVAILABLE ALL OVER THE USA !!!!!!!!! PLEASE CHECK THIS LINK OUT pure-gas.org .

mrpackerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 10:26:03 PM »
Wow - that's a great map/website.  Thanks
2007 Silver Agility 50
2009 Green Super 8 150

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 02:41:36 PM »
I just bought some seafoam and wanted to confirm how much should be added. Should I be adding 1 ounce per gallon as mentioned on bottle, since normally fill up at about .95 gallon to 1 gallon per fill up. Or I saw something about only adding a cap full or two every fill up. Then also seen something about only adding every couple of tanks.

Can someone please confirm the amount and how often?

Thanks

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 05:32:40 PM »
I keep a five gallon container of non ethanol gas for use in all of my small engines , so I just put 5 oz of seafoam in the container before I refill it . I have been doing this for the last 3 years and I have been trouble free . Good luck .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()