Author Topic: Run on starter fixed  (Read 1406 times)

Forest Grump

• View Profile
Run on starter fixed
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
My run on starter reported earlier was fixed by Chapparal.  They found the starter relay to be faulty and replaced it.

Part # 35850-KHD8-900

Description:  Set start Mag 9000 C 20. OEM @ $37.39

The repair was covered under warranty.

Forest Grump

• View Profile
Re: Run on starter fixed, then again....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Scooter sat a couple days and went to start it - same old but able to shut the starter down with kill switch.  The battery had been on a battery maintainer.  Volt meter showed 12.7 volts but when I ran the starter it dropped to 9 volts.  This tells me the battery was a goner.  To test my theory I had an AGM wheelchair battery handy and hooked MC jumpers between the two batteries.  The scooter started right up, repeatedly. 

2 days later I checked the voltage on the Kymco battery - from 12.7v to 11.4 in those two days.  Hooked the jumpers up and bike started in a flash. 

Ordered a Yuazu 12a-BS replacement.

Summary:  the OEM Kymco battery failed within the first year even when kept charged.  It will show a full charge and I suppose if you put a load tester on it, it would show up but I figure I did the same thing with the voltmeter and starter.  If you try to start the scoot under these conditions the starter solenoid fries and the starter runs on. 

Prevention test your battery with a load meter and replace if necessary.  BTW we only get a year out of our similar jet ski battery too.  Need to get a load tester.

Forest Grump

• View Profile
Re: Run on starter fixed
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »
The scoot has had a new bettery now for two days with no problems, it is fixed.  I tested the old battery with a load tester and it failed.  Problems resolved.

dbhouston

• View Profile
Re: Run on starter fixed
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
Man, am I glad to have found this thread and its predecessor.  My Yager did the same thing two weeks ago.  No indication of any problems, then it wouldn't start, then it wouldn't stop trying even with the key out or the stand down.  My dealer here in Austin was flummoxed by the symptoms and even thought someone had reversed two wires connected to the starter. Kymco told them my warranty couldn't cover the problem.

I copied these threads to the dealer who passed them on to Kymco and, voila, they'll be replacing the starter and the battery, as well.  Thanks to Brian at TJ's Cycle for his persistence.  And thanks, Forest Grump, for this thread describing the problem and solution!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()