Author Topic: What should I look for  (Read 4707 times)

docjones

• View Profile
What should I look for
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
Am going to checkout/buy an 09 GV. It was purchased new on 10-10-08 so could it really be an 09? It has 3700 miles on it but it sat for awhile. The guy said all he did was flush out the gas tank not the carb.. He says it runs great, I'll see. What should I be looking for when testing this scoot out.
09 Agility 125

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: What should I look for
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
Urbestfriend says this is not an easy question to answer.  Mine is a
2004.  It had been wrecked and the upper fork was bent, but the shocks were
fine.  If you have mechanical experience,  then you'd have a good idea what
to look for.   If you don't,  then plan on learning,  you'll save bundles of money.

I've had very little issues with mine.  Put in a new sparkplug maybe once a year
and change oil every 1k miles.  Simply...be sure everything works and determine
if the seller is being reasonably truthful.   However batteries are the main issue after
two or three years.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
If it starts easy, runs good, goes good, stops good and looks good, you are probably ok with that year bike.
Did they have the initial check-up done?
I don't think you will have any trouble otherwise.
However, no bike is perfect and you will learn what needs fine tuning.
The battery is an issue and reminds me to go ahead and get a new one for my 09!

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:28:55 AM »
I'm with Portland Steve... just all the regular stuff you'd look for with a used bike... smooth start and run, no leaks, tires, garage kept, gauges working...

I'm not aware of any chronic issues with the GV or any particular issues with the 09...

Good luck! Hope its a nice one!

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »
Yes, Kymco started making 2009 models in the fall of 2008!

I'm happy with my 2009 GV250.  No problems so far (used less than 1 yr).  Mine is red, what is the color of yours ?

Adding so SeaFoam to the gas will help clean the carb.  Use the labeled amount.  About 3 tanks full should make it clean as new. 

Remember to use Sta-Bil in the gas to keep to from going bad.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:59 PM »
MaryK    The one I'm looking at is White, a prefered color for me. I currently have an Agility 125 and use seafoam regularly. I also try and buy my gas from a marina so no ethonol. But last time I purchased it it was $4.91 per gallon for 91.5  octane, the only thing they have. I use that more in the winter time when I know my scoot might sit for more than a week. It never did this past winter because I live in north Florida and my girlfriend (she has one too) and I ride no matter what. We were even forced to ride in the rain this past weekend. Anyway thanks for all the advice and wish me luck.
09 Agility 125

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:42:48 PM »

Remember to use only water or neutral soap solution on the windshield.  Acid soap solution will remove the UV coating.
I used dishwashing detergent with grapefruit essence and lost my UV coating.

I bought the color that the dealer had.... Red!    White is also Good! 

The BEST of Luck to you and safe riding.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:47:33 PM by MaryK »
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

allenquach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
where do I get seafoam? What's the acting symptom of the scooter to consider to use seafoam? Put in gas or oil, which one better? If gas then which part clean? how about oil? Thanks for info.
Kymco Grand Vista 250cc 2009
GY6 150cc 2008

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
SeaFoam is a gasoline additive for cleaning the fuel system.
It was developed for WW-II.  It also stabilizes gasoline. Look on the label for instructions. 

Other fuel systems cleaners that work well are B12 and Techron.  They do not stabilize gasoline so you would have to use Sta-Bil for that. 
B12 is the cheapest and similar to SeaFoam.  Techron is different that the other two and we use it for some applications.

SeaFoam may be used as an oil cleaner, adding it to the oil just before changing oil.  We have never done this.

All of these chemicals can be purchased at WalMart and most auto parts stores.

Gasoline additives are useful to cleans carbs.  They are used when the engine is hard to start (dirty choke and idle jets) or stumbles at mid-power (Diry mid range jets.) 

We run Techron is our 1983 Nighthawk many times each year.  The other bikes have cleaner (and fewer) carbs so they get a dose of cleaner once a year after winter storage.

Scoot Safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

allenquach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »
Thanks for the info.

my GV250 2009 is hard to start and the idle speed take a while to stabilize to 1 stem on odometer (2 stems when start, sometimes 3 stems after riding 1 hours and restart then stabilize to 1) I didn't ride the whole winter (5 months) it only has 350 miles. Should I put sea foam (addictive bottle that sale at Walmart) in gas tank? Do that cure my GV symptom? Thanks for an advice.
Kymco Grand Vista 250cc 2009
GY6 150cc 2008

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
Allen, yes, to me, your idle speed problems are a good candidate for SeaFoam treatment. 

Use the specified amount on the bottle.  Usually, within 2 or 3 gas tanksful, Seafoam will clean the carbs. 
I would use the centerstand when parking the bike, so that the float bowl will be level because fuel system cleaners are effective while parked as well as while running.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
I started this post so I thought I would update it. I didn't buy the unit because it was pretty scratched up, when the seller told me it only had one small one. Second, it didn't start right, had to give it throttle and the electric choke didn't seem to be working (no fast idle and I know it was dead cold). Third it was twichy when on my test ride. Wanted to go from side to side like MaryKs husband decribed hers the first time he rode it. I'll continue to look for a good running and good looking GV until then I'll keep reading everyone else's post.
09 Agility 125

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
For me,  it always depends on if I think it's a good deal
and how much I want to invest to bring it up to snuff.

The Internet makes it so easy to check for not only what
a fair price may be,  but also how much are repair parts.

Keep looking,  you'll find it.

porboy298

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »
Found one on craigslist yesterday. 2009 with 1000 miles, perfect with the extra repair manual, helmet,
jacket, pants, gloves and a handful of other items for $2500. Had always been keep inside and he replaced the battery this week. It was his wife's and she rode it very little. It is now mine and runs great.
Big step up from my two 50cc Kymco scooters.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
PorBoy, Sounds like a great find !

I hope you like it ads much as I like mine.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()