Author Topic: Kymco 50 Filly no electric current when key turned :(  (Read 3879 times)

manny

• View Profile
Kymco 50 Filly no electric current when key turned :(
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:56:37 AM »
Hi everyone, I am having problems with my 2003 50 filly.  I have been working on narrowing down the problem, and I figured it was the relay switch, since I would start it with a motorcycle starter solenoid.  Now I turn the key and no current is passing through, the horn doesn work or blinkers nothing, so the scooter doesnt start.  I just bought a new battery and I was turning it on with the solenoid, (anyone know where I can get a stater relay for it?) now I cant even turn it on, cause when I turn the key, no current.  I was messing with the left handle bar/break switch was getting stuck, so I sprayed a little of wd 40 so it would not stick.  After that it didnt work.  There were no wires there, just a little black plasting that when break is pulled it sticks out.  Anyone have any idea what this could be or and also how can I check the relay? thanks and hope someone can help whos had this problem....

mjcharger

• View Profile
Re: Kymco 50 Filly no electric current when key turned :(
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
For starters check your battery and fuses. Get a volt meter and check your battery. It should be around 12 volts DC.

Check your fuses and make sure they aren't burned out from you jumping the solenoid. My Agility 125 uses 7 amp fuses.

manny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
Hi and thanks for your response, new battery 12.8, both fuses good, is there any other besides the ones around the battery?  I checked where the push start button is and there is no current to the switch. No horn, no lights no blinkers, with key in on position and kill switch is on ???

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »
Dumb question... are you squeezing the brake handle?  There is a switch in it that prevents the starter from operating without the brakes on.

mjcharger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
There's only the two fuses by the battery. Even without the bike running you should have your starter, turn signals, fuel gauge, horn, and brake light.

If you have voltage coming from the battery, check and see if you have power going to the ignition switch. You'll have to take the headlight and lower body panels off. Disconnect the plastic white plugs that connect the key switch to the harness and check the red wire coming from the battery for 12 volts. You can ground the meter on the frame or on a green wire.

If there's voltage coming in on the red wire you can see if your ignition switch is broken by bypassing the ignition switch with a jumper wire and connecting the red wire directly to the black wire in the harness. That should turn on all your 12 volt accessories.

If everything works on your handlebars then your ignition switch is bad. If there's still nothing you have a short or pinched wire somewhere.

Keep us posted

manny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
OK so I ended up taking all the plastics off to see if there was any wire pinched, did not see anything.  So I checked every electrical connection possible.  From making sure to having new fuses, to making sure power was going to igntion coil, switch, key.  Somehow when I pulled the plastics off the horn, signals, started working, also when key was turned to on, the switch turned on.  Weird, so I checked around the speedometer and around the forks to make sure nothing was pinching.  Put the plastics back on, turned the key to on, and used my motorcycle starter solenoid to start the bike, which I have to disconnect it so the starter doesnt stay on.  One of my fuses blew out so my lights and horn stop working.  I tested my starter relay and its out.  Is there a place I can get these local?  I took it to advance auto and got one identical part#3137 , but returned it cause I was still having problems.  Can anyone verify if that relay would work? Where would I be able to get one local?  I am planning on taking all the black tape off the wiring and inspect each one  :'( Keep everyone posted

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()