Author Topic: Running in + unusual noises  (Read 5894 times)

woodbar

• View Profile
Running in + unusual noises
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
There are no "running in" instructions (or "break in" as it's sometimes called) in the manual for my new Downtown 300i.

The dealer just suggests to keep it under 50mph until the first service (that's easier said than done with the main markings on the speedo in kph!) - but what I want to know are things like can you (should you?) use full throttle occasionally, is it OK to carry a pillion (extra load) etc.  Perhaps I am just being too careful - I have heard that modern engines with close manufacturing tolerance don't actually need running in?

The other thing that concerns me is the mechanical sound of the bike.  Yes the exhaust note is reasonable and the engine "thumps" along a bit at low revs (normal for a mid sized single pot) but there is an underlying constant sound I can only liken to a bearing race revolving in its housing (the "engineers" will know what I mean).  I am assuming, at the moment, that this is the sound of the CVT and the centrifugal clutch doing their thing?

As this is the first CVT I have ever had - my "last" scooter was a Vespa SS180 (for those of you that are old enough to remember), then a few conventional bikes over the years - I not sure how this one should sound?

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Running in + unusual noises
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:02:51 PM »
Yes, you probably hear the CVT doing it's thing.. as far as full throttle and extra load goes, I
would say that it's even recommended, and the only thing to stay away from is keeping your
revs at the same point for a long time.

It's not like you can redline the bike, the CVT won't let you over 6000rpm 'till 60mph, and
that's still below the maximum power and torque revs.

I'd ride the bike from day one the way I'm gonna ride it for the rest of the time I own it, and
do the first oil change a bit sooner.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:50:21 PM »
Ditto........ I ride the bike like normal. Of course till the rings seat you want to avoid the red line but as mentioned you will never see it even WOT unless you throw it out a plane or the like.

The CVT will make noise but it shouldn't be obtrusive. Just like when you use engine breaking you will hear the mild whining of the drive etc.......................

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
OK - thanks for the comments - perhaps I'll just stop worrying about it then and, as you suggest, drive it as normal.

I must say I am pretty impressed with the CVT - it seems to be able to "feather" the power in very nicely for tight turns etc. (not like a certain Honda I tested, of similar engine size, that seemed to be either ON or OFF power) - but when you twist, it certainly "goes"!

Only done about 150 miles so far so still getting used to it all.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
I just did the 1000K inspection / oil change on mine. I mostly run hi way at about 100K but have done wot to about 120 in a little burst then back down. Also varied from about 80 to 110 so as to not hold steady. On my People S125 for brake in I drove it like I stole it and after 30000K it is still running like new. JUst not fast enough for the hi way I now have to run.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
You will notice it gets better as you go. Once the rings seat and the engine breaks free you get alot more power. Also the CVT wears in too, I have noticed on a WOT recently the engine actually got to 8,000 RPM at 90 MPH indicated and it may have gone faster if I was patient. It was only a short WOT as I still only have 1,350 miles now and do not want to press it too hard.

The bike is running smoother and one up with my weight is much more than capable for my style of riding. Now that I'm done testing things out I find for takeoff I almost never need more than 25% throttle and most times not even that. As you mentioned the CVT responce is very smooth once you get used to the power band and how to apply the throttle.

Now The Honda Reflex I rode had no power issues with the CVT, then again even if it were an on/off situation you wouldn't really notice it too much as there was n ot much power to speak of. The reflex felt similar to the DT but with more leg room, quite a bit more wallow and no where near the power.

The CVT is a bit noisier that the Reflex and even the MP3, that race noise you speak of. It is not obnoxious just you can tell it is there. Conrgats on the scoot and enjoy yours, I'm having a blast on mine................

I just did the 1000K inspection / oil change on mine. I mostly run hi way at about 100K but have done wot to about 120 in a little burst then back down. Also varied from about 80 to 110 so as to not hold steady. On my People S125 for brake in I drove it like I stole it and after 30000K it is still running like new. JUst not fast enough for the hi way I now have to run.

Yeah, this bike just loves 100KPH...................
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:52:59 AM by TANWare »

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
OK, I,m looking forward to all that extra power then - seems pretty reasonable at the moment and yes I am enjoying it.

My route to choosing the 300i was some test rides (all second hand with  some miles on):-

Honda PCX125 - liked the design but physically too small for me and not enough go

Honda SH300 - really only to try something with bigger wheels - did not like the ride, I was surprised it seemed "jittery" - not good at sharp turns, too fierce a take-up from the clutch - would need to wear a disguise driving it!

xciting 500i - very nice bike - plenty of power - plenty of storage etc.   I was very tempted to buy this one but it was so huge!

So, I was hoping the Downtown 300i would be very similar to the xciting but a bit smaller, with better power to weight ratio - so took the plunge and bought a new one having never driven it, although I did sit on one a few times first just to check the fit.

So far so good.  I would like a bit more wind protection though as the chin guard of my helmet seems to get the full force of the air from the top of the screen.  I notice Givi do a replacement screen which extends out the sides to sheild the handgrips - does anyone know whether it is also taller or gives a better flow etc?   I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 02:30:16 PM »
So far so good.  I would like a bit more wind protection though as the chin guard of my helmet seems to get the full force of the air from the top of the screen.  I notice Givi do a replacement screen which extends out the sides to sheild the handgrips - does anyone know whether it is also taller or gives a better flow etc?   I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam.
It is 6 inches taller. I have one ordered, eta mid June. I am 6'2" and at 100K I get bugs about 1/2 way up my face plate.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »
OK, I,m looking forward to all that extra power then - seems pretty reasonable at the moment and yes I am enjoying it.

My route to choosing the 300i was some test rides (all second hand with  some miles on):-

Honda PCX125 - liked the design but physically too small for me and not enough go

Honda SH300 - really only to try something with bigger wheels - did not like the ride, I was surprised it seemed "jittery" - not good at sharp turns, too fierce a take-up from the clutch - would need to wear a disguise driving it!

xciting 500i - very nice bike - plenty of power - plenty of storage etc.   I was very tempted to buy this one but it was so huge!

So, I was hoping the Downtown 300i would be very similar to the xciting but a bit smaller, with better power to weight ratio - so took the plunge and bought a new one having never driven it, although I did sit on one a few times first just to check the fit.

I'm also 5'11" and had a huge issue with the stock screen.
Don't forget that shorter screens would work better too, not just the bigger ones.
BTW, I'd love to hear your comparo on Downtown 300 vs Xciting 500i!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Mine does not seem too bad, yes it could be 2-3" higher and it would be perfect for me at 5'11". I ride with a face guard so it is not too much of an issue but if I scrunch down 3" or so I loose alot of the wind turbulance and noise. The Givi windshield is 6" higher though...............

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »
Mine does not seem too bad, yes it could be 2-3" higher and it would be perfect for me at 5'11". I ride with a face guard so it is not too much of an issue but if I scrunch down 3" or so I loose alot of the wind turbulance and noise. The Givi windshield is 6" higher though...............

I've tried probably over 10 different scoots in the last few years with windscreens and this one is THE worst of them all, even with the most quiet helmet out there (Schuberth).

While I could live with most of the turbulent ones, this one would have to go ASAP.
I wish I tried it without the windscreen, it's probably easy to remove.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
To me it seemed no worse than the Honda Reflex..............

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
woodbar, I am fairly new to the 300i also and I talked about noises and vibrations a while back. Especially pulling out, vibration and the shakes! Problem here really is the service hasn't had any of these units until mine so it's like shooting in the dark. I am not a mechanic and I hope more of these are sold here soon.
One thing I do dislike is if once you get moving and you let off the throttle and then got back to throttle, the unit jumps even trying to throttle very easily. This is especially bad going around corners where you have to slow down and than throttle up a bit.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:35:52 PM »
woodbar, I am fairly new to the 300i also and I talked about noises and vibrations a while back. Especially pulling out, vibration and the shakes! Problem here really is the service hasn't had any of these units until mine so it's like shooting in the dark. I am not a mechanic and I hope more of these are sold here soon.
One thing I do dislike is if once you get moving and you let off the throttle and then got back to throttle, the unit jumps even trying to throttle very easily. This is especially bad going around corners where you have to slow down and than throttle up a bit.

As far as virations and shakes I haven't noticed anything more that what a low RPM engagement of a thumper would provide. Not sure how other examples are.

When I first go the amchine it seemed to have the jump here too. It doesn't seem to have that anymore but I am not sure why it did in the first place. It could also be I've become used to the amount of feathering the throttle to start acceleration again............

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 01:48:59 AM »
How much milage do you have on it? It seems that when it is new the clutch cuts in really early and you can feel the engin firing. As it wears in a bit it smooths out. I am just coming up on 1600K and all the things you talk about are improving daily. Unless you have a lot of milage on it, I wouldn't worry about it yet.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()