Author Topic: Running in + unusual noises  (Read 5887 times)

woodbar

• View Profile
Re: Running in + unusual noises
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »
Sorry I did not reply promptly Syl - not had the PC on for a few days.

Anyway, I agree with the previous comments.  I've only done about 300 miles so far and I can't really relate to the "jumping" you describe.  You have to be very careful to feather the throttle in a tight slow speed turn otherwise you feel the full "thump" of torque from the single pot.

The only problem I seem to have at the moment is when needing to accelerate from a gentle cruise of about 40 to 50mph the engine seems to get "bogged down" and takes a while to decide to up the power and revs - but I will wait and see what it's like with a few more miles on!

Changing the subject slightly - I took the spark plug out yesterday just to have a look and see whether it was running OK - I am pleased to say it was the best "text-book" picture of health I have ever seen - lovely medium tan colour on the insulator.  While it was out I took the opportunity to replace it with the Iridium version - CR7E-IX,  see what that one does.

Just an update on some previous posts - I've taken the plunge and ordered the Givi screen (How much? - ouch!) - not sure if the supplier actually has stock, hopefully I will find out tomorrow.

Finally, I was just cleaning the bike - the farmers here seem to like to put as much "manure" on the local roads as they do on their fields - and I noticed the right hand handlebar cluster (the bit with the starter, engine kill and lighting switch) is a little loose - you can rotate it on the bar a little - maybe 1/16" - is this normal or do I have something coming loose?  By the way, my dealer had another Downtown in to replace the one he sold me - that one has a Hazard Switch behind the engine kill switch - I lucked out again!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks woodbar for your notes on the subjects posted. I have 800 and some miles on at present and I thought some of the items I spoke of are somewhat better but I am not really sure of that. I am to a point of thinking that vibration, jumping and some rattling noise from the fron end are normal in this unit. Putting it this way, I really enjoy the 300i but several things as mentioned still bother me. I have had many good comments from people as for the appearance of this scooter and of course price is another question from them. There have been posts on the seating wishing the driver back part went back further to give more leg room. I am used to the way it is even though I am 6' 1'' 245-50 lbs. If I had to buy over again, I would buy a 300i again. I like the price, the power, convenience, and the looks. I see my dealer has a orange/red 300i on the floor and I am hoping a local will purchase it so we can relate. They started it up for me and I noted that it sounded as mine if that means anything! Anyway, good luck with yours woodbar. I am located 25 miles N. of Pittsburgh, PA.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
I was just up in Hawley PA., still quite a bit off from you. I have found the seating position moves back a tad over time. I am much more comfotable with the seat now.

As far as that I just did 7+ hours on the bike. 3 1/2 up to PA and 3 1/2 back to NJ. 2.5 hours in between sitting at the bank there too. I have to say the seat to me is awesome. Abosolutely no back, butt or leg pain. The legs are a little stiff from sitting that long b ut my legs arre worse from just one hour in the cage.

I had 1/2 a tank when I left this morning and filled about 70 miles into the ride. the rest of the ride on a tank yielded 80 MPG. That was 65 miles at 70+ MPH and 171 miles of 45-55 MPH and of the 171 miles 100 of it up and down hills with twisties in PA at those speeds. Just a fantastic ride................

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »
There are no "running in" instructions (or "break in" as it's sometimes called) in the manual for my new Downtown 300i.

I'm getting my DT300i tomorrow, but got already a pdf version of the owners manual from Kymco Canada.

Page 26:
Initial 600 km (300 miles) less then 1/2 throttle
Up to 1000 km (600 miles) less then 3/4 throttle
Thus I plan to take it slow for the first 500 km (which is closer to 300 miles!) Staying of the HW anyway for the first 60 days due to my new Motorcycle license.

It does advice to vary the speed, don't let the engine generate excessive heat and not keep it on low load for a prolonged time either.
(My phone does not let me copy from the pdf file right now, otherwise I would have copied the whole page...)

If there is interest and a place to upload the manual? I will do so...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:07:35 AM by scootinChris »
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 05:52:23 AM »
On line owners manual;
Kymco Downtown 300i

On line shop manual;
Kymco Downtown 300i Shop Manual

I broke mine in not quite to break in procedures, a few WOT's. I can tell you mthough the scooter is great even at 50% throttle. To get on and occasionally pass at intrstate you may get into a bit more than the 50% but you will rarely need too. These bikes have great power for what they are.

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy it in good health..................
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:53:29 AM by TANWare »

4StrokesUp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
On line owners manual;
Kymco Downtown 300i

On line shop manual;
Kymco Downtown 300i Shop Manual

I broke mine in not quite to break in procedures, a few WOT's. I can tell you mthough the scooter is great even at 50% throttle. To get on and occasionally pass at intrstate you may get into a bit more than the 50% but you will rarely need too. These bikes have great power for what they are.

Congrats on the new bike and enjoy it in good health..................

Thanks for posting the manual Links )RC(

jeryll

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
I have been told that the engine block itself is developed using BMW technology. There is no sleeve in the block, so the tolerance should be quite tight. Was told that running in is not necessary. I rode normally for the first 63miles and went WOT at 87mph. No problems so far  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:04:36 PM by jeryll »

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
I have been told that the engine block itself is developed using BMW technology. There is no sleeve in the block, so the tolerance should be quite tight. Was told that running in is not necessary. I rode normally for the first 63miles and went WOT at 87mph. No problems so far  ;D

I can tell you the engine does free up over time. I haven't found a need not to run in as I would drive normally. Of course you have to do this at your own risk but at 4,500+ miles I have had no issues as well.

I was leary about the synthetic on the first 600 mile change but all is fine with that as well. 87 MPH was ny rist WOT run as well but as it loosened 92MPH indicated could be attained. I haven't tried though for quite a while for top speed, experimenting period is over for me.

I am looking to get a washable air filter, top box and windscreen and then I am done other than maybe 20x12 15GR rollers at a later point but I want to see the bikes behaviour with the other addons first.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()