Author Topic: air filter/better airflow.  (Read 1923 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
air filter/better airflow.
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:58:56 PM »
Was looking at getting a k&n type air filter and bigger jet to improve performance on my scoot. (till I had to fork out for a new clutch on sunday).  Just wondered tho, has anyone tried cutting louvered  vents into the stock air box instead of fitting a cone filter? Would this work or am I going down the wrong road here.

Just thought the main reason for the cone was to let more air in, so if I had louvered intake vents on my stock box it would draw in more air also as I ride and save me changing it?

I already did all the usual derestrct mods, boss, cdi, 5.5 rollers, race variator. On a good day I get 75-77km/h average on flat, up to 80, and 82km/h downhill, 30-40mph uphill(unless VERY steep).
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: air filter/better airflow.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
I don't think cutting vents in your filter cover will help much and unless you are a master plastic cutter, it will probably not look too hot.
The cover keeps water off the filter.  The after market "cones" are out in the open and may not like getting wet.
If you use the bike for commuting, I would keep the cover and stock filter.
Otherwise, save the stock bits for resale and install the unobstructed filter.

Cheers

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
Your probably right, just going thro options in my head. Thought I could have cut a big hole then modded on an air scoop like off a car cos I have a couple of small subaru scoops already.

Think I will leave it till I get my new clutch fitted this week hopefully then rethink about it then. I use it daily to commute to work so cant afford to break it or im stuffed.

Poss end up going down the cone route later if I do decide to alter the filter, and upjet.

Thanks.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
i've read a few posts on here about drilling holes in the stock airbox and getting results, i never actually tried it though. i bought a UNI foam filter and cut my original intake piping to fashion myself a cold air intake and it works well for me i get some pretty cool sounding intake noise and throttle response was noticeably improved, but remember if you bring in more air you need more gas or you risk running lean. lean may be fast but it's an easy way to burn a hole in your piston. believe me, i've done it lol. but i run my scoot rain snow sleet or shine and haven't had a problem except sometimes in a heavy downpour the outer foam ring will collect a small amount of water that i can wring out quite easily. but it's all in what you do with your bike, your speeds sound pretty nice so you may want to stick with what you have it seems to be working well for you  :)
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:57:24 PM »
Think I might look into modding my  own rubber hose like you did H.R cos the rubber hose for the air filter and crankcase hose looks naff. Might try make something up next week and try get more air in that way, if it works I will upjet . Im running on a #82 just now so will check my plug if I do it to see how it looks then maybe go #86.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jordanw94

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
how quick will my kymco agillity get to its top speed if i put 5g rollers in please reply  :)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
Not all that much quicker than stock rollers unless you do other things too. Is your Agility fully derestricted?

I tried stock (6.5g), 5.5g and also 7.5g, so far I prefer the 5.5g but im fitting a new clutch and 1000rpm torque spring soon as it arrives in the post so may try the 7.5g again then.

General rule is lighter rollers = quicker acc but can mean slight loss of top end of few mph, heavier rollers = slower acc but can sometimes give top end a couple mph more.

I got about 2-3 mph more on the 7.5g but for that I felt slower getting there so went back to 5.5g.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()