Author Topic: running scoot with no crankcase cover.  (Read 1184 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
running scoot with no crankcase cover.
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:15:45 PM »
I want to check how my belt and cvt system runs, can I run my a50 on the stand with no cover on?

Didnt see how I could start it up without the kickstart or start button since the cover would be off? Thought I could start it up normally on the stand then take the cover off while I leave the engine idling, does this sound ok to do?

Dont want to ride it anywhere without the cover just want to run up the throttle on the stand to check the belt is not slipping and all is as it should be inside.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
Re: running scoot with no crankcase cover.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:27:32 PM »
it well work but you need to be carefull and hold the elc. start in so it dont come out on you when bike is running.the cover can be off when doing this just have to hold the elc. starte. if the belt is sleping try cleaning with clutch cleaner.

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
if you can kick start your bike then this is possible but you have to take the bendix out first the cvt cover keeps the bendix from getting jammed up in the drive face when it's on but i wouldn't suggest revving your bike too much while on the stand i'm not 100% sure why but there are many many posts on here stating that it's a bad idea. i did this on my old scoot once but i cannot kick start my guilty so i wouldn't be able to try it on this one
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
Good point blue about the elec starter. I will open up 1st and pull out the elec start crank thing inside the case (dont kno the real name for it). Then I can put case back on and kickstart it then remove the cover with engine running. Safer that way I think, I may lose some fingers but the scoot should be ok :)

Was just typing this when hungryrussian replied, you must have read my mind? I can run my scoot up to full throttle on the stand, want to move a bit but you just hold it back and keep front brake on. Going to try it at the weekend when I fit my new clutch, then if I so anything wrong I got a day or 2 to fix it before work on monday.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

I thought about trying this myself some while ago, but I could imagine so many things that could go wrong that I chickened out of it.  I prefer to let these parts do their work in the dark, as long as it seems they're doing their job just fine :-)

Getting the bendix jammed against the driveface with running engine sounds like a nightmare indeed...
And so does "getting your fingers jammed in between the belt and the driveface", ouch.... Or having the clutch or driveface come loose at 8000rpm (drive side) or more than 15000rpm (driven side)...

There's a post on Youtube somewhere showing a cop getting fragments of clutch and cover in his leg while testing a scoot on a dyno, looks like there's a lot of kinetic energy involved in rotating parts with these rpm's and sizes...

BTW, never drive with the CVT cover off, the cover is part of the structure, driving without it could easily cause cracks in the crankcase that will eventually break your engine in half...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
No worries momo, dont think I need to do it now anyway. I had trusted a guy at work who told me to spray belt drive on my belt and it f*@ked it up, was all sticky and wouldnt gear properly, I put on another post to warn idiots like me not to try it:) bad idea.

Anyway I cleaned it all out tonite with electonic degreaser spray and its a lot better so prob wont attempt running it with no case now.

Thanks anyway,good to know I can at least test it like that in the future if I need to.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()