Author Topic: Transmission Level  (Read 5470 times)

azscootin

• AZ - But it's a Dry Heat!
    • View Profile
Transmission Level
« on: June 04, 2011, 04:06:38 AM »
Hi all;

Just wondering about what "should" be the correct level of gear oil.

I checked the fill bolt and saw it was below the BRIM, so I added a bit of 80w-90 gear oil.
Have read that it is NOT good to overfill as one can blow a main seal.  So I opened the fill bolt to let the gear oil
drain.
However it drains MORE if scooter is parked on the center stand, AND leaning back on the rear tire.

SO...my question is:

Should I let it drain to BRIM when parked on CENTER stand toward the FRONT tire OR let it drain when parked leaning
on the BACK tire?

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
Re: Transmission Level
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »
Hello!
re: your gear box oil, on this issue the KYMCO owners manual is misleading. One should not fill gear box to brim (till is spills out the fill hole). This will over fill your gear box and eventually blow a seal. The prober amout of oil for the People s200 is about 6.5 oz. Being confused by the manual, I called Kymco USA and had this confirmend by one of there tech people. I have 11,000 on my scoot and running great! Good luck with this and have fun!
-Rob
Slug Rockets Scooter Club

azscootin

• AZ - But it's a Dry Heat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:55 AM »
Renge;

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I've seen posts where they say don't go by the manual.  This makes sense, as the manual states to R/R with 200ml of gear oil and then make sure to check that the level is at or near the brim or the fill bolt...WRONG. :-[
OUCH that's a difference of close to 12 OUNCES.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:45 PM »
It has 180cc as I recall printed right on the hub cover near the fill hole. Do not overfill, drain it and put it what it states there. Do not worry about trying to get it all out.

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »
Follow the instructions in the manual.  The amount of oil needed for a change is less than that needed if the transmission has been dismantled and wiped clean. 
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

rsnow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:14 PM »
I just bought a people s 200. Still had warranty. Checked trans level according to owners manual. Filled it up to check plug. Rode it about 100 miles and noticed oil on the rear wheel. Thought it blew a seal. Took it to the dealer. They removed the rear wheel and found the seal area to be dry, no oil on the brake shoes. There is a breather hose going from the trans case to the air cleaner.since the case was over filled, the oil was going into the air cleaner housing then draining out the bottom, running down the trans case and onto the wheel. So there is no way to check trans oil level without draining the oil, measuring, and refilling with 6 1/2 ounces of oil. Hope this helps.               Bob

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:57:08 AM »
Thought it blew a seal. Took it to the dealer.      Bob

This 'blew a seal' notion is a myth.  CVT scooters have geared rather than hydraulic final drives.  The final drive is vented to the outside, and therefore never under pressure.  Overfilling it can cause leakage (on most scooters this would be into the air filter box as the vent tube typically leads there), but not blown seals.  Hydraulic automatic transmissions on a car, on the other hand, can have blown seals.    

On my S200, I was able to fill it to the bottom of the level-check/fill hole with approximately the specified amount of oil.  

Hope this helps.

Alex
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:01:46 AM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Just drain it and fill it with new oil.
I use a measuring cup to get the exact amount and then use a clean syringe to pump it into the case.
Easy and inexpensive and you know exactly how much is in there.

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
Alex, thanks for the info. I still have a question. You stated that "blew a seal" notion is a myth and then stated that over filling : "can cause leakage"... how do you define "blew a seal"? In my book, a blown seal is a leaking seal. We are probably in full agreement but I get stuck on semantics. Scoot On!

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »
Alex, thanks for the info. I still have a question. You stated that "blew a seal" notion is a myth and then stated that over filling : "can cause leakage"... how do you define "blew a seal"? In my book, a blown seal is a leaking seal. We are probably in full agreement but I get stuck on semantics. Scoot On!

A "blown seal" generally refers to a seal that failed (i.e., was blown out) under high pressure, for example in the high-pressure areas of a pump, engine or a pneumatic transmission.  

A manual transmission can still have a leaking gasket, but they are generally vented and operate at atmospheric pressure.  This kind of failure isn't caused by high pressure.

An overfilled final gearbox on a scooter will discharge oil through its vent hose, which often leads to the air filter box.  This doesn't indicate a failed gasket or seal, but rather an overfilled gear box.

Hope this helps.

Alex
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:02:56 AM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200

kaktuschick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
HA! This probably explains why my air cleaner was rather oily and yucky! My husband INSISTED that I fill the gear box to the bottom of the hole. I'll know better next time.  ::)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
Everyone is spot on, the manual is incorrect in saying look at the fill hole. Go to an animal store and get a 60ml syringe, for like squirting medicine in horses mouths, and drain the gear oil. Fill with 180cc, marked right on the cvt cover if you ever forget. Make sure to ride the scooter first to warm up the oil so more comes out and spin the wheel a little while it's dripping. It doesn't hurt to change the gear oil every time you do the engine oil (2000km according to your service light on the dash).
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kaktuschick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »
a syringe!! EXCELLENT IDEA! Thanks!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()