Author Topic: ouch, I think I screwed up!  (Read 4502 times)

catsailor

• View Profile
ouch, I think I screwed up!
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
Yikes!,
I think i messed up bigtime. I got a People 50 two stroke a few months ago. Seems like all restrictions were removed, and she really moved. I wanted to get to work a little early this morning, and was cruising along at wot with the speedo pegged, for more than a few minutes.  All of a sudden she just died. Once she came to a stop, i noticed some smoke coming out of the crankcase cover vent. Once I let her cool down for 20 minutes or so, I tried to start. Seems like I have lost all compression. Turns over easy and fast. What are my options here? I should have never pushed her so hard.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: ouch, I think I screwed up!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
Since you like to go fast, it would be a good time to get a bigger scooter. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
Ouch is right.  Sounds like you blew the head gasket, at the very least.
Are you looking for advice or just sympathy?  I feel your pain.
If it is turning over then it is not seized, which is hopeful.
Looks like you have a little project on your hands or your mechanic will be excited to see you.
Look for parts for GY6 50cc engines.  Get a big bore kit if you are interested in more power.
Good luck

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
Just look for GY6 2 stroke big bore kit? I have done the big bore on my honda spree and it worked well. One thing I had to do was add 2 stroke oil to the gas in conjunction with the oil pump, because the oil pump could not keep up with the displacement of the big bore. Will this be necessary with a big bore on this. Would like to have to do the least bit of tuning possible.

Since the engine is freely turning over, could this just be a matter of changing out the head gasket? Will that be the fastest way of getting back on the road? If piston and rings appear to be in tact, should they be replaced anyway, or can I just replace the head gasket and move on?

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 06:17:38 PM »
I am looking for the gasket kit, piston/rings, or a big bore kit for my 2 stroke people 50 motor. What is the model of the engine on here so that I can find? are the head and base gaskets product specific, or can a generic gy6 gasket be used. Has anyone done a big bore on their engine, and if so, what kit? Results? Thanks for your help.
Todd

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
If I were to be looking for parts for a 2 stoke people 50 motor, would it be a minarelli type, jog type? I am having a hard time identifying the proper parts to get for gaskets, pistons, bigh bore kit, etc. I would love to get my order in  with whoever Im buying from, so that I can get it fixed. Please help?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
I don't know what engine the people 50 2T has, but the gy6 engine is a 4T. Did you run the engine out of oil? It sounds like you won't be riding it so, for me, I would be pulling the cylinder to see what damage has been done. You might be able to hone the bore get away with a piston and ring kit. If  you try ebay you might find some engine parts, quite a few scooter parts sellers on there.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
Will be pulling apart this coming weekend. Was hoping to find engine type so that I can order right away on ebay. I am quite possibly thinking of putting a big bore in, if i can get the info that I need. Thanks sid. you were a huge help on last problem. This one unfortunately was caused by me. I did not run out of oil, I ran it a wot for at least 5 miles on a 98 degree day. Can you say dumbass?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
Not much, but a start, hardly a bank breaker. Enough to get you back on the road, depending on what you find when you open her up.
Just remember, you will need head and base gaskets as well, probably exhaust gasket also.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50cc-PISTON-KIT-KYMCO-Dink-DJ50-People-Spacer-/280651864991?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4158279b9f

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
Is the People a horizontal or vertical engine? The eason I ask is that they list the same piston for the ZX, that may be another route for a BBK.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »
Thanks for coming through again sid. I think I will just buy the piston and gasket kit for scooter assasins. Not sure if it is vertical or horizontal. If you were looking at engine mounted, the head and spark plug are between 2 and 3 o'clock, based on a regular clock. Can you help with the big bore?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a hrizontal engine, Zx kit won't fit, must be a common piston.
Sorry, no big bore,,, yet.

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
sid,
again thanks a million. I just ordered the piston set, as well as the 3 gasket set. thanks for the heads up. Will break motor down this weekend and wait for the parts to come in. Will keep posted once the parts come in and i install.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
Hope you get them quicker than I do. Seem to wait forever down here. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()