Author Topic: ouch, I think I screwed up!  (Read 4503 times)

catsailor

• View Profile
Re: ouch, I think I screwed up!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »
they say 5 to 11 working days for delivery here in states. hope that is the case, and closer to the 5. I would love to be back on the road by next weekend. I should have kept my spree as a backup.....

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
Dude I run mine wide open all the time. I don't think that was the cause of the problem. How many miles on it?
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
only 3600 kilometers on odometer. I have not yet pulled apart, but feel it could be modified a bit. She has a ton of pick up (almost does wheelies) to 30 mph, sluggish to 35 mph, and then will run up and bury the needle of the speedometer. I have verrified speed on GPS of over 50 mph. This is why im guessing there have been modifications. I am really feeling that the wot situation caused my problem. Pulled plug, and it looked a little lean, but not that bad. Will keep you updated as I start to take apare and get my parts in from Scooter Assassin.

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »
I was able to take the top end apart last night. From what I can gather the first owner installed an Airsal Big Bore Kit.

I looked at the Piston and this is what I have:

There is a pinhole through the 1 ring piston (I have never seen a 1 ring piston before). I have a few observations, assumptions, gripes.......

1. I installed a bbk on my Honda Spree. A few things were necessary in order to run properly. First, the carb needed to be up jetted. I also had to drill some hole in the airbox in order to get more air in. Airbox on my People appears to be stock with no modifications. I have not yet pulled apart the carb to see the jet. What is the stock jet size? Has anyone installed one of these and if so, what jet was used? Were there any modifications to the airbox?

2. On the Spree, it was necessary add an extra 2 oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon of gas, directly into the fuel tank to compensate for an oil pump that was only designed to handle the displacement of a 50 cc engine vs the 66 cc that the big bore kit gave me. I was not aware that a kit was installed on this scooter when I bought it. I have been driving it for over 2000 km with straight 87 octane gas in the tank, and synthetic 2 stroke injector oil in the oil tank. For those that have installed BBK's on their Kymcos, are you adding extra oil to your fuel tank to compensate, and if so how much?

3. Where do I get a replacement piston and gasket set for this BBK? I measured the piston, and it is about 47.5 mm. From what I have found on the internet, this appears to be a 72cc kit. The Stock piston is 39mm. I have ordered The stock set from Scooter Assasins, and suppose I will have to return it once it finally gets here. In the meantime I need to find a replacement piston, rings, and gasket set for this Airsal kit, preferrably here in the states.

Any inshight on any of this would be big help.

Thanks,
Todd

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
Firstly, for info on the Airsal kit, send a pm to Shaka, he will know the local suppliers for the parts. It looks like the ring locating pin has been ripped out. Also looks like the result of running not enough oil. When I put the 50mm kit on my ZX, I tried using the stock carb and exhaust, seized the engine. I finished up using a 24mm oko carb, per sig. and I now premix 40:1, as you said, the oil pump is designed for a 50cc engine. Is that an aluminium cyl. or cast iron?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
Ring Locating Pin? What is that, and where on the piston would it be? The head and jug are cast aluminum. Did you have to upjet and/or change the airbox also? Have you disabled the oil pump completely, and gone with straight premix, or are you just adding X amount of oil directly to the tank? If so, what is X? (sorry for the algebra lol)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
A small pin in the ring groove to keep the ring gap in one place, so it doesn't snag in one of the ports. I replaced the 14mm carb with a 24mm one, removed the air box and use a cone filter. I have removed the spindle from the pump and premix at home. I use metric so am not familiar with imperial measures, I mix 250ml of semi-syn oil with 10 litres of fuel.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

catsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
So do you think that I need to split the case and flush it out with oil to take care of the metal shavings from the piston, as well as the ring locating pin? Are you in OZ? My catamaran was built there. Great boat, and a great group of guys I have met from OZ on the boat forum.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()