Author Topic: clutch springs  (Read 3814 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
clutch springs
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
I finally got my torque spring set today from Taipai Scooter Assassins after waiting 2wks. Plan to fit a 1000rpm torque tomorrow but I dont have any uprated fly springs yet. Can I still fit the 1000rpm torque spring with stock fly springs or do I need to upgrade them too at the same time?

From my understanding the fly springs only increase take off speed so if im not too bothered about that right now and just leave the stock ones in will I still be good to ride with the 1000rpm torque fitted?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: clutch springs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:47:29 PM »
Go for it, the only thing is that you will have to take the clutch out again to replace the fly springs. The 1,000 torque spring will give better rev holding when slowing down, which gives you better accelleration out of corners. Depending on how it affects your scoot, you may need to adjust roller weights to a slightly heavier weight to get the best out of it.
Enjoy.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
thanks sid, just needed to be sure cos i need to ride to work on monday morning. Im running 5.5g rollers right now but have some hardly used 7.5g ones i was going to try with the new spring in. Think i'll fit the spring and try with the 5.5g 1st then if not happy i can fit the 7.5g. I was getting a few mph more on the 7.5g before but the revs were terrible and power died too much uphill so hoping the torque spring fixes that and i can run the 7.5g.

Find out tomorrow i guess. Just a pain i need to take it back out to fit the fly springs but i cant wait another 2 weeks for them with shiney new torque springs sitting here now. Think i will end up trying the 1500rpm flys eventually.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
I reckon try the 7.5 with the 1,000 spring as you already have them there, if it was too sluggish before, the new spring will correct that, if you don't like it you will change back to 5.5, which I doubt, but I think if you run the 5.5 you will turn around and try the 7.5 anyway  could save you another opening of the case. Whichever way you go, make sure you give it a good ride before you rely on it to go to work to makes sure you like the change, sometimes it can go tits up, don't ask me how I know. :)
Have you opened the clutch before? I think the agility uses the same clutch as the zx, not sure though, if so you will need a spanner to fit the nut, 39mm, I tried a 12" shifter but that didn't open big enough.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
Ive got a massive shifter that fits it, I took out the clutch earlier to try but cant get the nut off cos I cant grip it to stop it spinning. Going to go ask a neighbour if I can use his vice and pipe grips tomorrow to get it off using that, if not ill need to do it at work on monday. I got a spare whole complete clutch assembly with bell etc anyway so I can ride to work then fit the spring then once im home I can swap out the whole thing. Wanted to be out on it tonite to try it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
That is very handy, with mine, i marked the clutch/nut/torque driver with a paint pen so I retighten it to the same position (no overtightening). If you have someone to help you, you can hold the clutch with your hands, gloves would be a good idea, and have the other person hold the spanner and  strike it with a mallet, that should get it undone. Just remember to compress the clutch spring while they take the nut off, not hard to do by hand, especially with the stock spring. I do mine by hand by my self now, practice goes a long way.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
Cool, ill try the gloves 1st then tomorrow morn and if I cant get it ill see my neighbour if hes in. Just want to try it now but too late here and its dark :'(

Hopefully get it done tomorrow with any luck.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
Good luck!

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »
it's been quite a while since i've been into a scoot clutch.. i can just lock the rear brake and hit that 17mm nut on the outside with my impact wrench to get the assembly out right? i used a similar method to this on that big nut on my last scoot, worked pretty well for me
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »
Its a 14mm to get my bell housing off but the nut that holds the torque spring and clutch in is bigger, a 20+mm. Anyway I went to the auto storw and bought a metal strip type oil filter removal tool, used that to wrap round the clutch and got it off with my big shifter. Fitted my 1000rpm spring and just been out testing it with the 7.5g rollers in it, now know thats not good for uphills. Going to swap back to my 5.5g and retest it, hopefully that works out better cos I cant live with the 7.5g. The new spring def keeps me in the lower gear for longer so at least I know thats going to work. With any luck going back to 5.5g rollers will give me back my revs and uphill power.

Have a quick smoke and drink 1st tho I think then back out to it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:28:07 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
I just tried the 5.5g rollers back in and its much better now, was 5-7 mph faster while riding up the same hill. Feels much nicer to ride, more power and torqueier, not rocket power but def feels much better, but it maybe just in my head?

True test will come tomorrow when i ride to work, then i can exactly compare how it rides now to how it did before.

Will order some fly springs i think, cant get it to launch too quickly off the line tho cos my wife uses it now and again so she wont be happy :(
Probably try the 1000 or 1500 fly's out.  Tempted to order some 4.5g rollers too just to see how they do, dont want to lose top end tho.

Happy with the torque spring anyway, it has made a difference, im sure.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Strange, I thought 5.5 would be too light, I tried 5 and they sucked, tried 6 and I was screaming down the road, @ 50 kmh.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
If your scooter is a 2 stroke then thats prob why, cos you have more torque anyway compared to my 4t. I was getting 50+ on the 7.5g before but the hills just kill me down to 23-25 on anything slightly steep, and it takes to long to hit top speed too, even with the 1000rpm spring. I could try set up my spare clutch with the 1500 spring and try that sometime with the 7.5's maybe, but maybe too strong a spring for my scoot.

Was windy on my test drive too so see better how it does this all week going Work.

Going to order 4.5g rollers to try and a fly spring assorted pack too, prob try 1500 flys in it. At least i got a tool now to split my clutch anyway.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »
Scooter seemed a lot better coming to work this morning, it just feels like it has more power all round, actually feels more like a bigger engined scooter now (apart from my top speed).

I noticed uphills is better, better recovery after slowing down for bends etc, engine seems to sound a lot better too and no flat spots at all anywhere. I used to hear it sound like it was changing gear around 30mph when it would drop revs a little, now it just pulls even and constant all he way to its max speed, no drop anywhere, even uphill.

Probably still try the 1000 or 1500 fly springs in a few weeks to boost the take off speeds a little.

Very happy tho with how it feels now, am slowly but surely getting it just right and how I want it. Fly springs nxt, maybe cone air filter and #88 main jet after that and eventually a leo vince style exhaust.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »
Excellent, good to hear another success story. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()