Author Topic: American Kymco Super 8 50cc 4 stroke  (Read 13703 times)

ianmac

• View Profile
American Kymco Super 8 50cc 4 stroke
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
Just a word of advice, I bought my Kymco from a cycle shop here in Detroit Michigan.
I wasted $10.00 on a derestricted variator boss online just to fine out that mine didnt have that restrictive collar.
Then I wasted another $10.00 on a #82 Main jet just to find out mine already had one.

So the only restriction in place on my bike when I bought it was the CDI wire which I cut...
That took me from 30mph to 37mph.

I changed the main jet to a #88 and put a free flow K&N Filter on and now I max out at 35mph.... but its quicker to get there.... WHAT GIVES?

Should I really waste my money on a race variator and lighter weights or just go straight to the 80cc big bore kit?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: American Kymco Super 8 50cc 4 stroke
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
Take off your inner and outer variator and mark a couple of lines with a marker on the belt faces from the centre hole out to the edge. Put it back together and run it for a few miles, then take it apart and check how far up the belt is riding on the variator by seeing how much marker is worn off.

If its not running to the top then your belt is short and you wont get full speed out of it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
Thanks Ill try this out today....
If my belt is too short what is the solution?  A simple adjustment or do I need a new belt?

Also how close to the top should it be going?  I know if it goes over the variator its goign to get shredded.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
I did my own and it looked like I could go up a little more, 5-10mm, on the outer face. On the variator tho it must be riding to the top because there was no pen mark left, so I think my belt is fine. As long as you are near enough to the top on the variator your belt will be fine, if it doesnt then you need a longer belt.

Maybe someone who owns the same scooter can help cos I have an agility 50 4t, similair engines tho. You should be able to get 45-50mph on the clock without changing heads or carbs etc.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »
45-50??? Im not even close... are you in the united states?

I weigh about 210lbs so that might have something to do with it, but I am for sure not getting more than 35 right now.
All the performance intake and main jet did was make it louder.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Not in the US, im in Scotland. Im 170lb's myself. My scooter has the 50cc gy6 139qmb 4 stroke engine dont know if your scooter is exactly the same engine. I get 45mph easy, even in the wind, normally 45-48mph on flats, occassional 50+ on a good day.

Currently im still on my stock air box, stock exhaust and an #82 main jet too, so I could still gain a few mph if I fit a k&n type filter im sure. Fully derestricted it, fitted race variator, 5.5g rollers and a 1000rpm torque spring in the rear. Pulls smooth and pretty strong now to 45mph easy, normally sit at 45-48mph all the way to work.

You must have something holding yours back still, jst dont know what if its not your belt tho. Hopefully someonewho owns the same scooter can give us their opinion and tell us how fast their scooter goes, sure they must go faster than what your getting.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:04 PM »
Ok... now I really messed it up...
Took everything apart to mark up my variator and now when I put it back together it wont start.

Originally the variator would lock up when tightening the 17mm nut, but now it just keeps turning.

Im no mechanic so I am not sure why, but I think the starter gear up top is doing something wrong.

I have a line where I could see where my belt was going to on the variator face (see attached pictures<- Sorry, cant attach pictures for some reason, upload folder full)

The whole inside of my cover, and variator, and rollers are all covered with pcs of the belt.

While I was in there I changed the variator boss from the aftermarket one I bought back to the kymco original (it was smooth anyways, and seemed like better quality)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »
Did your belt get shredded then? Sounds like it wasnt sitting correctly after you re-installed it then when you tried to start it its been jammed or something?

Not sounding too good :'(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 01:37:17 AM »
Nevermind... I think the battery was just dead... or close to it.
Its a 2009 that I bought in May of this year, so its been sitting around for a while....
The lights always dimmed when you werent going fast so I knew it was only a matter of time.

I kick started it and ran it, then took everythign apart again, I cant post pictures to this forum, but its about .150" from the angle before the gear teeth on the outside variator and about .150" from the edge of the inside variator.

Also the cover was too hot to touch after my test drive, and I noticed belt shavings all over the inside, and the variator roller "boss" is still too hot to touch 15 min after taking it apart.

The belt being too small is starting to make sense.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
One other thing of note, I had a blue plastic shield around my K&N Filter.
I removed that today thinking that it was restricting air flow in to the carb, but that didnt change anything.
I think I got to about 37mph max today.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »
Hats good it wasnt anyhing major when it wouldnt start, bet you got a bit worried there. I had a few moments myself where I thought I broke my scooter after trying to fix it ;D

When you say your case if full of belt shavings, that sound odd. My case gets black inside from belt dust but I have no actual shavings coming off it.

Like I said, I would def put back the stock filter and fit #82 jet then get it going over 40 before I touched anything else. That way you can def rule out any filter issues being the problem.

Who knows it may even go great with the stock airbox back on?

Oh, and my variator and case gets pretty warm too, its normal, as far as I know. Ive used welding gloves in the past when swapping out rollers etc if I cant wait for it to cool down ;D My outside case doesnt get as hot as the variator but goes warm.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
Yes, its dust more than shavings, I guess I should watch my terms more closely.
I have to glue the tube back into my airbox before I can reinstall, I had to take it off

I understand your point of only changing one thing at a time.

What do you think about grinding .020" off the face of my variator to let them get closer together?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
I wouldnt grind my variartor, im sure someone must have triedit in the past tho, maybe sidthesloth will chip in later with info on that, he seems pretty clued up on scooter engines and transmissions?

Like I said, I still got 43mph on my stock variator with the smooth boss in anyway. If the faces of the variator came too close it will trap your belt and pinch it maybe? You can buy a cheap race variator from ebay, from scooter assassins I think, look under "gy6 race variator". It cost me £18 instead of £60 for the malossi kit so I got the cheap option to see how it was and was happy with it. Still I think you should def be getting more top speed without the race variator, over 40mph anyway on the flats. Surely someone here has the same scooter as you and can tell us what speeds they get?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
Oh, and the black dust in the crankcase cover is normal so dont worry. I cleaned mine out about a month ago and when I changed my torque spring at the weekend it was black inside the case again. Its just dust from the belt and any dust etc that gets in from the air tube thats used to cool it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Yes, I was checking ebay... just trying to find one that is decent and also has 26 splines.
Dont want to buy a part that wont work.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()