Author Topic: Pilot screw  (Read 2490 times)

Dale4

• View Profile
Pilot screw
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »
 Hi , My Agility 50 is running lean and I want to adjust the pilot screw. Does anyone know which way to turn it for more fuel (in or out) and how many turns to start with?  Thanks  Dale

marioG

• View Profile
Re: Pilot screw
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:08:59 AM »
if its really running lean u need to change jet....
pilot screw can fix idle and some litlle mix at low speed, can force too much gas in mix loosing hp....running lean is only at high rpms....
u can try 1/8 out...but u need rpm counter for that or nice ear...
raise rpms to 2000 and when the sound is at high point thats the optimal point (highest rpm at same gas pedal)...
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »
TY. I just ordered a #85 jet because I assume there is a #82 in there now (when I got the scoot the cdi was cut and had a smooth drive boss in allready). I struggle to get 35mph from it now,do you think the jet will make a difference? 

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »
think 82, without open air filter and new exhaust its enough..

why do you think is lean?
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
when I pull the plug it seems bone dry with a white haze to it and like I said Im struggling to get 35mph,thinking maybe its not getting enough gas. Everyone else says their getting 42-45mph and I did all the same mods(cdi cut ,smooth boss,5.5 gram rollers,ngk iridium plug) Do you think #85 jet is too big?When I have someone pull the jet and its an #80 ,then Ill order an #82 but if its an 82 in there do you think I should go with the 85? Im just frustrated at not being able to do 40mph. Thanks for listening

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
Did you ever get 43mph out of it before? Or has it always been stuck at 35mph?

Just asking cos 35mph sounds good for just the cdi cut, without the smooth boss. Howdo you know for sure the boss was changed? Have you actually taken off the variator and looked, or are you taking the previous owners word for it? If your not 100% sure  then i would take it apart and double check it is smooth.

My derestricted agility did 34-35mph after cdi cut, around 43 mph after i fitted a smooth boss, and now does 48mph easy since i fitted a race variator.

I ran it for a few days on the #80 stock jet till my #82 jet arrived,and i still got 43mph, the engine sounded a lot better wit the #82 jet, but i still got 43mph with the #80 jet in.

Kymco's official recomendations for derestrictig an agility is , smooth boss, cdi cut and #82 main jet, i saw the printout at my Kymco dealers. Tho i have heard at least one other person on an agility having to use a #84 jet to get it right at plug chops.

Double check your boss tho 1st if your not sure it has definately been done.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »
Oh and make sure your air filter is clean and the air intake isnt blocked up or the hose twisted. Also check your fuel filter doesnt need replaced, if its dirty it will restrict fuel flow.

Did you make sure all fuel connections were tight on the fuel line and carb bottom after you changed the jet before? Just ake sure you have no leaks anywhere.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
I bought it new and it came with the cdi cut and a smooth boss already(I checked both personally) but the first day I had it,it was leaking fuel and they told me the carb needed replaced and they did that. My thinking is they may have put on a new carb with an 80 jet,I need to have someone pull the carb and check cause Im nervous about doing it myself. If it has an 82 jet I was gonna put in the 85,but if it is only an 80 I guess Ill order the 82. Does that sound about right?  oh  I will be checking the air hoses too.   thank you for your time

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
Yeah, I was nervous too 1st time I opened my carb, theres some vids on youtube showing you how to do the jets if you look for "gy6 main jet". Ir you do ever try it just be aware it takes a lot longer to start it back up after changing the jet cos the carb has to fill up te bowl inside again. I thought I broke my scoot, ran my battery flat trying to start it then had to use jumper leads off my car. Did fire up eventually and been fine since. The carb is not bolted to the engine, which surprised me cos im used to cars. Its not too hard to do if you watch the vids and use a manual. If your not comfortable tho its maybe better toget someone to do it for you, maybe try watch what they do so you know for next time? Will get pretty expensive paying for jet changes if you need to mess about to get it running correct.

Maybe worth getting them to check the carb since they fitted it as a replacement, maybe the jet is still an 80. But even then you are still slow, in my opinion, for a derestricted 50cc.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »
Im starting to think that the 40+MPH is just a fairytale on these 50cc Kymco's.

I would suggest the #85 jet though... I have an #88 in mine right now and its a bit rich.

Im in the same boat though, full restriction, free flow air, iridum plug.... yada yada yada and am lucky to get 37mph

2009 Kymco Super 8 50cc 4T

Just buy a 150cc.... thats the only solid answer.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:22:44 AM »
I appreciate your honesty Ian,I hear everyone say anywhere from 47 up to 65 mph but everyone I meet in person is in the same boat as us. It drove me crazy for months that I could'nt reach 45 mph but after my last upgrade (race variator) made no difference at all I learned to accept it's limitations and not to beleive all the hype. Last week I got my learners permit and signed up at community college for a basic riders course and will have my license in early August. If and when I get something bigger,it will be no larger than 125cc.   see you around the forums and thank you for the response   Dale

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 11:40:54 PM »
One word of warning, you will always want bigger.

I started with the 50cc Kymco, then bought a 150 Chinascoot.
I am thinking about a 400cc or 650cc burgman now.
Its nice to be able to get out of the way if your in danger.
Hard to avoid something if your WOT at the moment.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()