Author Topic: How to derestrict the Kymco ZX50 Super Fever 2 stroke  (Read 39587 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: How to derestrict the Kymco ZX50 Super Fever 2 stroke
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
I just used one of the quick splice connectors just like these, http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d236.html.  I just clipped it over the two green wires.  It is very easy to unclip it if needed as well!  I think the stock rollers are 8.5gram.  I have experimented with a couple different weights from 6.5g-9g.  I got some Dr. Pulley 9 gramers and it accerlerated pretty slowly till about 35mph then really took off with a top speed of about 44mph with the stock motor.  Just the derestricted CDI and removed washer from the variator.  I was running the 6.5g with the 70cc kit, and noticed yesterday that 2 of them were very worn already!  With less than 2000 kms.  I threw in the 9 g Dr. Pulley's and it accerlerates a bit slower than the 6.5g, but has a higher top speed by about 4-5mph.  I think I am going to order some 7g Dr. Pulleys and give those a shot.

nickybee123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »
good idea - I have a bunch of those somewhere in the garage...I don't know how anal they are about testing stuff - I have a feeling they just rev the scooter up on one of those monitored roller thingies they use for cars -  and check what the max speed is...

I don't think they're actually measuring power output etc...

I thought it would be cool to have it in a secret "turbo" switch - but yeah the splicing thing will be fine.

How heavy are you if you don't mind me asking?

44mph would be more than fine for kicking around the island of Losinj in Croatia (where the scooter gets to live ;)).

I weigh 220 and when I add my girlfriend on there aswell - it's 300 lbs+ - so if we stop on a hill it just groans ;)

I'm sure the CDI splice will have a positive effect - I just wonder whether I should go for

(a) Lighter rollers (for more low end acceleration - or rather earlier "gear" change)
(b) Performance variator (for overall better acceleration/top speed)
(c) Performance pipe

or something else...

what I like about the CDI splice is that it's easy to take off before inspections - the other stuff gets kind of messy - I've never actually taken off the variator because I don't have an impact wrench...but I've seen it done and it doesn't look that bad...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 01:01:59 AM »
I weigh 150lbs.  I think that lighter rollers will have the biggest effect on acceleration.  You might also change the clutch springs as well.  Both of these changes should help with the starting out on hills as well.  The CDI won't have any effect there, only top speed.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 02:45:15 AM »
The lite grn/ has to be spliced into the dark grn. A S.P.D.T. switch will work just fine, in fact I think it's a great idea! I use malossi 5.5g, and I believe the stock rollers were 8g. With these rollers, and the clutch setup I have I'm about 1/5-1/4 way into the throttle just to roll, but the power is RIGHT there, so I always put my shades on FIRST. The brakes aren't too bad, I ride other scoots w/ no brakes at all so this one seems terrific to me. Anyway where I live is so remote, the only thing to hit would be bear, hogs, or gators! We officially have the WORLDS SMALLEST POLICE STATION. Look it up. Good luck, and thanks for passing along the switch idea. Truly rocks.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nickybee123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 04:48:04 AM »

the above image is SPDT (single pole double throw) but in order to have it as an on off switch you would have to connect the dark green (uncut) to one of the contacts and then cut the light green wire and connect the two pieces to the other two contacts...

that could be pretty cool - I'm too lazy to route the wiring up to the handlebars for a real "Turbo boost" so instead I'll just put a switch into the bottom of the underseat carriage...

does anyone know if these wires perchance carry 12V - that way we could get a nice LED on the switch also...

Nick

nickybee123

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 05:06:13 AM »
hmm - I think I'm gonna get an aircraft toggle switch safety cover so that the switch doesn't get bumped when I drop two half helmets into the box...

don't much care about the LED since nobody will see it...

trouble is nobody seems to sell those safety switch covers in single packs - they're all 4 or 8 packs on ebay (same for the SPDT switches) - I'm gonna go check a friendly mechanic ;)

Nick

nickybee123

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
fyi - scooter went to inspection in croatia today - they wired it up to the machine that measures max speed (nobody was on the bike just the bikes own weight pushing the rear tire down)...

it registered 56km/h (35mph) which is pretty much inline with what people are reporting without doing the CDI de-restriction...

I'm looking forward to the next time I see this bike (bike is in Croatia - I am in Los Angeles)

all I gotta decide now is if I bring in aftermarket variator, pipe and rollers also...

(those would be a bit more of a pain to turn on/off with a switch ;))

Nick

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 02:57:28 AM »
Dude, If I was moving between countries...You could easily limit the throttle throw to compensate!Not that I said it , but I think you heard it somewhere else! Oh wait a minute... My cat was on the keyboard! 50 MONKEYS FOR 50 YEARS. DIJGIHJWRUIKDKR[PTWUTM,JUK3Y0559
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nickybee123

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
hey that's not a bad idea...would that be easier than wiring in a switch ??
I mean doing the switch is pretty easy...

reido200

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
Can somebody post a pic of the stock cdi and where it is. I have a 2005 zx50 super fever and can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
Remove the seat, and the pet carrier. Its on the right side in a rubber sleeve attached to the frame. The whole deal will take 15-20 minutes.

Youre better off getting this kit because once de restricted those OEM cdi's don't last.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-Coil-Racing-High-Performance-TGB-Laser-R5-R9-Honda-Dio-ATV-Pit-Dirt-/151115642697?hash=item232f31b749&vxp=mtr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()