Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 2463 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
I want to upgrade my tyres for better grip, especially in the wet. I thought maybe I could get some fatter ones than stock, does this sound possible? Anyone done it already? Not sure if they would fit under stock mudguards?

Took a spill this morning going to work on a wet road, the front wheel just went away from me and I wasnt going particularly fast, maybe 20-25mph on a bend and slowing. Always felt bad in the rain with my stock tyres, fine in the dry, does 50mph round bends then but in the rain its far too dodgy. Must be better rain or allround performance tyre out there? Guess my stock tyres were designed for 31mph not 51mph so must be due an upgrade.

Fractured bone in my hand and done my knee in by the way, smashed mirror, cracked footpanel at rear footrest, couple of small scratches on front speedo panel, not very fun 1st thing in the morning. Still riding to work tomorrow, if you fall off your horse you have to get right back on again. Anyway any tyre info would be good,thanks.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
I would not get a fatter tire as this will change your handling. I would just get a better, all weather tire. Sorry to hear about the crash.
-rob

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »
You wrote that it hapened while slowing. Were you braking at the time? You could have locked the front wheel. That happened to me on gravel.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »
Sorry to hear your plight streido.  I have heard good things about Kendra scoot tires, but not much else.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
Bob, no my wheel def didnt lock up, I was hard braking before the bend, to come down from 50, by the time I started my turn I was barely braking at all. I do know what you mean about the gravel, I did that too myself before, luckily I saved it then and didnt go over. My stock tyres are just rubbish in the wet, and they are scalloped too, which I dont like at all.

Had a look again this morn and I doubt I would get a fatter tyre under the guards anyway. I had a 100cc scooter before and that had fatter tyres as stock and def handled much better in the wet.

Need to do some reseach online tonite or at the weekend I think.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:17:53 AM »
Wordslinger, zombie and Shaka all swore by the Avon Viper Stryke tyres, very good in the wet apparently.
I can't get them here without paying a premium and then a lot for shipping, so went for the Michelin Pilot Sport, so far seem good, but I am no hero in the wet.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
Thanks sid, will go look online now to see if i can get those on the uk at a reasonable price.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
They are available in the UK, but unfortunately it cost more than the tyre to send it to Aus. You should get one for a faily decent price.
Best to ask around, find people using different tyres. In the end though, it will be a metter of trying one and then deciding if it suits your environment and riding style.

Encya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
Sorry to hear your plight streido.  I have heard good things about Kendra scoot tires, but not much else.

Sorry, I meant Kenda.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
I have kendas and I like theam .I have the big nops on mine they work good for off rd.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
Thanks Blue, mine are like slicks almost, great in dry but terrible in the wet. Prefer something with a better tread on it like yours, will def check out Kendas and Avons and see best prices here then decide.

Thanks.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
I'm very pleased with my Michelin SM100's, they're really good in wet conditions, I've never felt a tyre slipping or creeping anymore since I have them, it's another universe compared to the stock tyres...

I've heard lots of good things about the Bridgestone ML50 as well, it's a very soft and sticky tyre.

Be careful though, because some brand makes a good tyre, it doesn't mean their other series are good as well...

Any way : if you're concerned about wet conditions, stay away from those sporty looking semi-slicks, the kind with those arrow shaped grooves and large patches of "ungrooved" rubber. Most of these really suck when it's raining !! The same goes for offroad-style tyres on tarmac.

As for fitting larger sizes : been there, done that. Some aspects will work (more top speed, good looks) but you will lose some (or a lot of) stability. A larger tyre on a narrow rim has less stiffness sideways and will feel like you're drifting away, just like an underinflated tyre does, and by overinflating it, the surface can become rounder and higher, which feels very unstable.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:35:05 AM by mono »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »
Cheers Mono. Yeah, the tyres I have right now are the semi-slick type, not much grooves on them, looks like a superbike tyre (well it does in my head anyway;D). There great in the dry buy every time its wet or damp I need to keep my speed way down so its no fun. I know wet riding is slippier anyway on all tyres but the ones im on right now are near useless in the wet at any speed over 15mph on any medium to tighter bends. Am def swapping them after my holiday in 2 weeks time, wife wont let me spend any cash till then :'(

Thats me got a few suggestions on tyres now to check out now so will do some research this weekend and check prices/availlability.

Thanks guys..
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »
Not a nice way to spend your holiday, but at least you get time to heal. Enjoy your hols mate.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »
Ok, I had a look about and im kind of stuck between a choice of 2 tyres, the Avon viper stryke and the Continental Twist,  links below.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/viper-stryke

http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/default.asp?spid=18

I can get both for around the same price, £70 delivered ($113.us) for the pair, front & rear, 120/70-12 + 130/70-12.

I think I might try the Continentals, not sure tho, anyone know anybody who tried them before? Went to a local scooter shop today and they wanted £53/tyre for the same Continentals! Plus £20/tyre to fit them, if I took my own wheel off or £40/tyre to fit if I just take my whole scooter in! Total rip off merchants.

I Can buy the set online and save over £40 so will do that and find someone cheaper to fit them for me.

Any info on the Conti-twist tyres would be good meantime tho if anyone can help out? Want to order them tomorrow if poss and get fitted maybe fri or sat if they arrive in time.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()