Author Topic: help needed making my people 50 perform!  (Read 3712 times)

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
help needed making my people 50 perform!
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:23:27 AM »
I want to start off saying thank you to the people reading this and a double thanks for anyone's two cents trying to help me out.
I am relatively new to the scooter world and new to this forum though I tired looking through older posts, however I took a much more head on approach. I got a part time gig working for a nice couple at a local scooter shop. Do keep in mind I am a bit mechanically inclined and I've got this guy watching my back.
THE PROBLEM: I can't seem to get my scooter to do over 40 mph (roughly, ya know if I'm going down hill or kicking my feet like Fred Flintstone and ducking I can get a few more mph)     
THE SPECS:  I've got a 03 people 50 two stroke. When I got it, it was pretty much stock. Since then I put in the 72cc Malossi kit a performance CDI(needed new one anyway), Leo Vince SP3 muffler(i believe that's what its called, its what's written on it.  Also BTW I love that muffler, I wanted performance without all the ruckus involved, live in a quiet neighborhood. Looks good and gave it nice sound).
I've been through almost every inch of that scooter and removed any restrictions I saw along the way, which right now I can only think of one since I replaced the CDI,  that metal tube with the flange in the giant spring in the clutch. My mentor thinks we need to change the gears in the transmission. It seems those gears are hard to find for my bike. I called what seems to be a reputable parts place on the west coast, this guy told me he had a people 50 and all he did was put in the same Malossi kit I did and a Malossi variator and he claims he was doing 60mph just with those two upgrades... neither one of us sees how I'm going to gain 20 mph with that.  I forget the size of my carb. Perhaps a 18.  I was running very good for a lil, doing bout 45 but I overheated. We've been playing with the carbon jets right now I've got a  115 in there, tho I'm back at 40.
I've been working on this headache for entirely too long, I want my scooter back!  Word of advise: DONT FIX SOMETHING THAT'S NOT BROKEN!     I'm kinda at a loss right now can anyone help me?  I've got some pictures if that'll help.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: help needed making my people 50 perform!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:44:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum, hopefully some other 2t ppl will chime in on this but yeah, somethings not right.... :o
Did you re tune the vario or any springs afterward?....(btw, leave that "metal tube" in the spring,order a malossi tosion controller to go along with it.  ;)).. If the wieghts are to heavy, that'll kill any top end, OR if they are to light and it revs all over the board
Did you check the squish clearance? port timing/durations while in there?... those can have a negitive impact if wrong,out,big,etc.
That exhaust you installed i believe is a 50cc pipe, not necessarily one for a bbk,etc. as the technigas rs2, i do know someone that is very happy with that pipe(the sp3) on a stock scoot...
Hope this helps out in some way.... ;)
Yeah, you should be getting more mph now.. i wouldnt install gears till after this issue anyway
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:43:05 AM »
If you haven't replaced the belt that might help . Good luck .

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
I haven't read thru all of your post I appreciate it I'm at work at moment. But I did want to chime in that I pretty much needed a new variator anyways. Was destroying my roller weights. And I needed a new belt as well. Post back in few hours.

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »
Also when I and doing 40mph seems to me that my engine is at full rpm

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
If it seems it's revving to high, try a slightly heavier roller... maybe to light to hit any top speed.. some ppl slap in HEAVY wieghts and work down, try .5 or 1 gram heavier and see what that'll do....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
I actually have, or rather had 10 gram Dr pulley  weights,( my scooter performed fine but not any faster.)ordered the malossi variator, and a belt. Says that it comes with 8.5 weights I think.  Thanks Batman, ill look into some of that stuff... before I got the muffler  I had stock one on and I was pulling front tire off ground. Topped out at 40 so we figured restriction must b in muffler, ended up destroying that muff and having to get Leo vince. (long story and word of advise just keep original, was nothing wrong wit it, I almost feel bike performs better with that stock muff) 
But basically my scooter gets right to 40 and stops.... also not that I want to throw more money in scoot but does anyone have a suggestion for a carb for me? Think what I got will work, then again what do I know.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Are you getting full belt travel on your front variator?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »
Do you still have the modded oem pipe? slap it back on and test run????
check squish, pretty easy to do if you have some solder laying around.. I am wondering what he squish is.... :(
You can even search thru "art's" post here, he was getting 50mph modded stock...(in the ppl board)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
My next question would be what cdi are you using? Could it have a rev limiter?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
OEM pipe?  Haven't gotten down to the shop yet to look at or talk about it. But to answer some of your questions, that piece u told me to put back in my clutch spring is long gone. And I have a brand new performance CDI. No rev limit.

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
My scoots got plenty of power. When It hits 25 and its done shifting it moves! I gotta hold on. I just put in the Malossi 72 kit, not sure I'd need to check squish. Leo Vince recommend the sp3 for my scoot.  R u its sure Ur not thinking of the 4 stroke? Mines a 2 stroke. Anyways just got my variator and new belt.   I guess well see!     BTW what does that pipe do that I removed. Looked like it restricted my clutch

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »
My scoots got plenty of power. When It hits 25 and its done shifting it moves! I gotta hold on. I just put in the Malossi 72 kit, not sure I'd need to check squish. Leo Vince recommend the sp3 for my scoot.  R u its sure Ur not thinking of the 4 stroke? Mines a 2 stroke. Anyways just got my variator and new belt.   I guess well see!     BTW what does that pipe do that I removed. Looked like it restricted my clutch

I dont know why they would "recommend" that pipe, but i am a fan of the expansion chamber... i know they work...lol
uuhhhh, if it stops at 40mph, i was saying if you still had your modified factory(oem)pipe, you could try it out and that would tell you if it's the pipe or not. Jus tryin to help ya
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 02:31:48 AM »
Like sid said check and make sure your belt is fully moving up the variator. You can usually see how high the belt is riding on the variator by the wear marks on the face. I think your problem is in the cvt somewhere.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

SkeetSkeetScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 04:22:02 AM »
UPDATE:  after about 7 pistons  and my second crank, I was driving to work one day and my belt blew way before it should. My second crank took a dump. I very sadly patched her back up and sold her. Since then I've heard it went through  another piston and cylinder and never heard of it again. Im sure it's still out there hauling ass. Ain't that a kick in the head. I had a baccio for a little while. Now. I've got my eye on a nice 09 silver people 50. I missed my people  Time to start all over again. a new love affair that's gonna cost me more money and aggravation than a marriage.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()