Author Topic: Rattling Noise Kymco 500RI  (Read 2146 times)

scooter65

• View Profile
Rattling Noise Kymco 500RI
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »
Need some of you experts out there to give me a diagnosis on my Xciting 500.  I'm mechanically declined so this noise/rattle has me confused.  My 2009 Xciting only has about 4000 miles on it.  Anyway yesterday I took a motorcycle training course and put my bike thru a pretty gruling 4 hours of turning, swirving, breaking, cornering, etc in hot weather.  Probably doesn't have anything to do with it but shortly after I got what I would call a rattling noise which seem like it was coming from the engine housing area.  Actually it sounded like some screws were loose and something was vibrating.  I checked and things looked fine.  The small light over the licsence plate seems a little loose but the screws were tight. Well today as well as yesterday it only makes the noise at about 10 mph and smooths out as I accelerate.  I've only had the bike for a couple of months but I'm almost possitive it is running rougher and vibrating at very slow speeds.  Anyone got any ideas?

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Rattling Noise Kymco 500RI
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:59 AM »
Vario belt!? It can dangle if not under load.
I hear it sometimes on my Xciting or my wifes MP3, esp. during starting in the morning with cold variomatic.

scooter65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:06:50 AM »
Thought I had my rattling noise fixed.  Mechanic thought he had it fixed by using full throttle starts to "glaze" the CVT belt.  Worked for 1 day but again slow starts are like a manual transmission car trying to start off in 4th gear insterd ofr 1st.  Chugging, vibrating, up to about 20 mph, fine after that.  Scoot only has about 4500mi but is it possible that I need a new CVT belt.  What do you guys think?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »
G'day scooter65, I don't know about the 500, but on the smaller scoots, for the rattling, I would be checking the variator ramp plate slide bushes, if they are worn/gone the two halves of the variator will be knocking together making a fairly loud rattling noise. As for the taking off in "too high a gear" I would be checking the torque driver spring, if it has weakened it won't offer enough resistance against the variator weights. Not saying these are the problems, just what I would be checking.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »
I had the same problem with my People S 125. It was the shaft on the variater that got sticky. Have it cleaned but do not lub it with anything.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
I had the same problem with my People S 125. It was the shaft on the variater that got sticky. Have it cleaned but do not lub it with anything.

On the other hand, the manual says to pack some 9 g of grease around bearings when you assemble everything back.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »
Would help if you let us know how many km on the bike :)
PS I took an Xciting 500Ri out this past weekend - what an awesome scoot!!

scooter65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
Adri,
4500 miles.  I'm going to take it back to the mechanic and they are going to go completely thru the belt and pully system, lubricate and whatever is necessary to ri8d the bike of the rattling and chugging noise. You're right the Xciting is a great scoot!  Thanks for your imput.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()