Author Topic: New to it all  (Read 1287 times)

GatezUK

• View Profile
New to it all
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
Hey everyone, just joined the forum so thought I'd introduce myself.

My names Dan, I live in south east London,UK

At the weekend I will be collecting my first ever bike, a kymco like 125. In fact at the weekend I will be taking my CBT. I have never even rode a bike before, but I am extremely excited as you can all imagine lol.
So what do I have to look forward to? Not just with my kymco, but riding aswell?

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: New to it all
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Riding a scooter or a motorcycle is a great way to spend money & have a good time.  Be sure to get your safety gear and wear it all the time. 
There are sure to be tools and accessories that you want and the scooter "needs".

Between shopping events, you can enjoy the scooter rides and the people you meet.
And you will save money on fuel.....  Except I always take the long way to get to my destination, so the fuel savings are reduced.

Welcome to the forum and scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum im from up the road in Glasgow ;D

Get a good quality leather jacket, preferably armoured, just in case ::)

Take it easy till you get used to riding it, especially on the bends, and slow down your riding on wet roads ( trust me, i went off last week in the rain :o ).

Apart from that, just enjoy it, and if you need help you should get an answer to most of your questions on here.

Good luck  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:37:03 PM »
Avoid traffic at the beginning. Find a large empty parking lot and get familiar with the machine. Think safety, safety, safety.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
Welcome to the joy of two wheeled transportation, Dan.  ;)  Safety is your most important concern!  Getting used to your scooter is part of this so do as Agent bob suggests and practice in some area where there is no traffic such as a vacant parking lot on a Sunday for instance.  Practice a lot! 

When you do go out on the roads, car drivers are your most dangerous opponents.  Many, and I do mean MANY, simply do not look for or see scooters or motorcycles!  Never take their actions for granted.  For instance, you may think an oncoming driver will wait for you to pass before turning.  There is a good chance they will NOT, and turn right into you!  Anticipate this at every instance and be ready to brake hard, sound horn, evade, whatever. 

There is a reason you see many bikers wear brightly colored clothing and accessories.  Get yourself some of the most brightly colored clothing and helmet you can find and wear it while riding. 

I'm not sure how much joy can be experienced on dense urban roads such as in and around a large city like London.  I hope you get chances to get away from the city and out on to rural roads where, in my opinion, the true joy of riding is to be found.  ;)

Congratulations, Dan, and again, welcome!   

GatezUK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
I have a feeling I'm going to like this forum.
Thank you to everyone for their advice, and generally making me feel welcome. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated over the weekend of how my first couple of days went.
Thanks again.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
Hoo.... good to see you around my friend....
Welcome to the forum GatezUK.....
Welcome to the 2 wheel side of life, be safe out there,I'm sure idiots are on your side of the pond as well as here... Seems ppl here have you covered on the safety side of it all.  ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()