Author Topic: Xciting 500 start problem. Stumped.  (Read 17763 times)

Cameo

• View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 start problem. Stumped.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 04:45:19 AM »
Thanks Hoolander. I'm hopeful this is it but I could have blown the ignition coil and pump relay in the same moment.  Though, I don't know how.  The malfunction began when I lowered the side-stand to kill the engine.  At least I can eliminate this BAS idea.

I've been lucky enough to NOT lay it over so the sensor has never tripped before.  It's an important safety device, in the event of a nasty spill.  The people taking them off their bikes are complaining of losing power during wheelies.  I've had a hell of a time getting the front end up on the xciting, damn near took out a Pier One.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
Haaaa!!!  LOL!  Ok, thanks, Cameo.  :D  I haven't even tried to wheelie mine cause I figured it was next to impossible.  I do like to ride in a sport-like manner though.  Hard turns and so on.  Sometimes when in a vacant parking lot, I'll zig zag just as hard as possible for fun.  It's then that I sometimes get motor cut-out for an instant. 

The only street bikes I ever wheelied were my old Kawa triples and Yamaha RD's all of which would wheelie just from rolling on the throttle.  No rider effort required.  ;D

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
I have laid mine over and it saved my butt. Also I ride very aggresive and dont have the problems you are hoo sounds like a weak sensor
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Cameo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 06:47:29 AM »
Here's the update...

New bank angle sensor arrived from Stadium Yamaha.  While I was waiting for delivery, I re-tested the voltage on the original part and discovered that I had previously been testing it incorrectly.  The part was fine.  So I moved on to the next likely culprit, the ignition control unit.  I swung by a local scooter shop, Kymco dealer, to see if they could test it.  No dice.  They had no diagnostics for it.  So I just ordered a new unit, clipped it in, and bingo.

Since I had all the panels off, I picked up some low voltage LED strips for $18 at an auto parts shop, wired them into the headlight and mounted them on the undercarriage (2 - 28" adhesive strips).  They look pretty cool and improve side-view visibility at night.  I may add a third strip to bump it up.  It's easy to get carried away on this sort of thing.

Thanks for the help and suggestions on this board.  I only missed one month and spent $160.  Not too bad.  And thanks to Stadium Yamaha for having the gumption to put their parts catalog online.  Very convenient.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »
Here's the update...

New bank angle sensor arrived from Stadium Yamaha.  While I was waiting for delivery, I re-tested the voltage on the original part and discovered that I had previously been testing it incorrectly.  The part was fine.  So I moved on to the next likely culprit, the ignition control unit.  I swung by a local scooter shop, Kymco dealer, to see if they could test it.  No dice.  They had no diagnostics for it.  So I just ordered a new unit, clipped it in, and bingo.

Since I had all the panels off, I picked up some low voltage LED strips for $18 at an auto parts shop, wired them into the headlight and mounted them on the undercarriage (2 - 28" adhesive strips).  They look pretty cool and improve side-view visibility at night.  I may add a third strip to bump it up.  It's easy to get carried away on this sort of thing.

Thanks for the help and suggestions on this board.  I only missed one month and spent $160.  Not too bad.  And thanks to Stadium Yamaha for having the gumption to put their parts catalog online.  Very convenient.

You might consider some "majic blinkers" if you want more visibility.  They change the turn signals to be always on - and blink off.  I'd recommend two sets - so you use one for each signal.  That way you don't need as long of wires.

http://www.customled.com/products/magic_blinker/magic_blinker.htm
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

quannon guy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 11:58:20 PM »
I have question, so you found out that its the ignition coil unit, why didn't you think its an autochoke problem if your bike has it?, I'm asking cuz i'm having same probs with my kymco quannon 150...and mechanic can't seem to pin point problem.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()