Author Topic: funny engine noise? help/advice please  (Read 5152 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
funny engine noise? help/advice please
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
Ok, i was riding home from work today  and noticed my engine sounded different than normal. At 1st i thought it sounded like i maybe had a bad seal on my exhaust where it joins the engine or i maybe had a small hole i it. It had that kind of noise and sounded louder if i put my head down towards the vent on the centre plastic under the front of the seat, down near where the exhaust joins the engine.

The scooter still feels fine and rides like it did before,but it cant be nothing,can it?

I got home and took off my seat to look closer, there seems to be a tapping kind of sound from maybe the top of the engine at the front, in where the rockers etc are i think? I didnt open the cover yet, was too late, need to maybe do it tomorrow.

Could it be i just need to adjust my valve gaps at the rockers? I have never did this before, had my scooter maybe 6 months, done about 4200km on it since i had it, all in its done 14000km. Im now worried i may damage it more going to work tomorrow?

It doesnt sound like a banging noise, more a tapping type sound,like i said i thought it was just a leak in my exhaust cos thats the closest sound like it i can describe it as.

Any ideas or advice would be great cos im not too sure yet on scooter engines yet.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: funny engine noise? help/advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:42:36 AM »
May be due for valve clearance check. I don't know about the cam chain setup on those scoots, but when they start making noise in bikes they can get very rattley. I just had the cam chains replaced in my Boulevard, and they were quite bad. They were starting to sound like the big end bearings were gone. New chains now, nice and quiet. :)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »
Thanks sid, plan to check valve gaps this weekend, if I can find my feeler gauges :-\

If my new tyres arrive this morning I plan to go to a local bike test/repair shop to get them fitted so I can ask their opinion when im there, if tyres arrive. Was still fine riding into work, no power loss or anything. I reminds me of the noisy tappet noise you get on old car engines? Does that sound the same as when valve gaps needing done?

Just dont want to bust my engine, especially with £100 of new rubber coming its way to me.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
Kinda like a loud ticking noise, speeds up as I turn the throttle?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
Hard to say without hearing it, but it could be valves or even a leaking exhaust gasket.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
Like I said an exhaust leak was my 1st thought, still could be that I guess, got a new gasket sitting around the garage so may as well stick it in anyway to see if it helps. To me tho it def sounded like it was coming from under the rocker cover. Once I got the seat off at home and looked closer I was pretty sure this was where the noise is from. Not 100% tho.

Going to check valves in couple of hrs once im home from work, and will do the gasket too just in case. Never did valve gaps before but got a manual so should manage, I hope, looks pretty straight forward. What can go wrong  ;D lol.

0.04mm for valve gaps on the Agility from what I read so see how close to that mine are when I look this afternoon.

Hope its nothing serious and this fixes it, hate not knowing whats up with things  :'(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »
I think i found the problem. The small bore chrome pipe that comes out by the rocker cover and is kind of U shaped, right over the top of the rocker cover, has 2 holes rusted thro in it. Thought it sounded like an exhust type leak sound.

Anyway i dont know what this pipe is called? any idea? Kymco dealer closes in 2 hrs,am going to try pick one up there,be god if i knew what i was asking for tho  ??? See pics below, if anyone knows what its called can you let me know asap please?

Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 02:16:10 PM »
pics dont work for some reason, arrrrrg >:(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
Try pics again,

Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
Still cant upload to the forum for some reason, heres a link if anyone has time to look.

http://www.fileserve.com/file/yBYbYSs

Its the chrome silver pipe that got holes in it where it looks rusty.

Thanks.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Jiffycake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
That tube goes to the secondary air cleaner. I'm pretty sure it draws vacuum from the crank case. It's emissions related and it can definitely cause poor running if it has a leak. I'm sure if you go the shop you can explain what you need. Tell them it's a tube that goes from the valve cover area to the secondary air cleaner.

It all else fails, I'm sure they have a computer there with an internet connection. Just show them the picture.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:49:10 PM by Jiffycake »
Agility 125 Part out and Complete A50 Motor w/ super low miles.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4718.0

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:02 PM »
VShop didnt have it in stock so didnt go over. Got some exhaust sealant and cut down exhaust tape and sealed it back up for now till I find one online to buy. Sound has pretty much gone now, a lot quieter, so im sure thats what it was.

Before I refitted it I checked my valve clearances, One side was less than .04mm the other was about .07-.08mm so I set them both to .04mm. Fired up fine, took it for a run but now it seems a bit more sluggish than it was before. Dont kno if its todo with the tube or I never set the valves correctly, my 1st time trying it. Seemed easy enough to do it, think it was ok but may need to tear it down again and re-check it now  >:(

Thought I was all fixed, neary but not quite  :(

On the plus side I got my new Bridgestone Molas today, need to get them fitted tomorrow if poss too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
That sounds like the PCV hose, (positive crankcase ventilation). Any leak there will draw unfiltered air into your carb. A temporary seal will be fine until you get the new one, just make sure it is sealed.
Did you get the upload folder is full message when you tried to upload the photo?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »
Didnt get any message, looked ok then just didnt show up on post or preview. The photo that jiffycake posted is mine, they posted it for me, thats jiffycake ;)

It seems sealed ok, a lot better than it was anyway, may not be 100% tho. Just worried maybe some sealer pushed thro the holes into the pipe and may restrict it? Could be why its not running 100% right now? Either that or I did the gaps wrong, seemed fine tho to me.

Want my tyres on tomorrow, still runs ok, just I can tell its not exactly perfect. Less power than before, not huge but there is a difference.

Think may leave gaps for now and give it a couple of days to be sure. Can order the new bit, when I find its name to look it up on ebay or online, then recheck gaps mid-week when I fit the new pipe. Dont think it will do any damage will it doing that?

Bit of a bummer cos I was well chuffed I had found the valve gaps so easy to do and thought it was all fixed. Get there in the end.

Anyone knows what im looking for can you post the name of the pipe I need? Thanks.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 07:14:23 AM »
not sure what it's called yet as it's lacking in a number on the diagram on stadium yamaha but it's on here if you can figure it out http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts#/Kymco_USA/Agility_50/Cylinder_Head/2K03030005/2K03030007 looks like your engine compartment could use a nice clean up a clean scoot is a happy scoot and it could help to prevent rust in more important areas of the motor :) good luck on finding that thing
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()