Author Topic: 1st ride in traffic!  (Read 2555 times)

schuppie

• View Profile
1st ride in traffic!
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:46:55 AM »
hey divas--

Did my first ride around town and it was awesome!  Granted it was 8pm when I headed out, but I still got a good feel for some larger roads--will head into some heavier traffic tomorrow...felt great to get into the action.  REally helped to read people reminding me to "look where I want to go"--really helped with turns tonight..

yippee!
2007 GV

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: 1st ride in traffic!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
Hey congratulations, schuppie!   ;)  You're gonna love it more and more!  As far as where to look -- when I'm in city traffic I keep my eyes moving all around all the time -- glancing at every vehicle and driver, trying to anticipate where they'll go.  You just can't count on them seeing you.  Be ready with the horn button and use it liberally.  ;D

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
I use the "flash to pass"lever as well-often when I see a driver looking in my direction-readying to pull out in front of me-I FLASH the high beam a couple of times to call attention to myself. Some drivers have car stereos up loud,screaming brats,barking dogs,etc,and can't always hear the little weeny horn on a scooter...just another option!

schuppie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:34:53 AM »
thanks...I am feeling better in traffic. I have spent the last couple of days riding in traffic and slowly taking bigger and bigger roads.  Made it over a few RR tracks and even went through a street where the pavement had been removed for resurfacing!  Took it slow and made it..i felt great!  Confidence is up, but I am still very aware of where I am and where i am going.  Getting excited for our trip next week to Wisconsin!  Only worried about rain..havent even touched that yet or a wet road for that matter.

Any tips on riding in the rain?/
2007 GV

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »
Yep, catman, I use that hi-beam flash too -- usually use it for oncoming cars and those stopped at intersections and the horn for those I'm flowing with.   Practice that too schuppie!  ;) 

As far as wet and rain, use the search function on this site and you should find tons of comments. 

I'll say this at least:  All painted markings on pavement are slippery as heck when wet and will cause an instant lay down if you're not careful!  Includes divider lines, intersection markings, symbols, words, etc.  Also metal things like manhole covers, railroad tracks (especially if they cross the road at an angle) and some bridges that have metal in them are just as slippery. 

You really need a good rain jacket with cinches at the wrists and elastic waist at the very least. 

When rain gets more than moderate, most riders will pull off and wait it out cause it's such a pain.  It's a good idea, when you are in rain or know you're about to get rained on, to think of places in advance to get off and under some cover, such as anyplace with an awning, covered sidewalks, gas stations, so on. 

schuppie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
thanks for the help..put 70miles on the bike today riding along with my hubby on his BMW F800JGS..I know he had to keep himself reigned in, but we had a good ride..I was pretty beat by the time we were done.  good to do it to see how a longer day might feel..gettin ready and reading the comments on rain riding .

thanks!
2007 GV

Sideshow

• Reading, PA
    • View Profile
    • My web site
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
I use the "flash to pass"lever as well-often when I see a driver looking in my direction-readying to pull out in front of me-I FLASH the high beam a couple of times to call attention to myself. Some drivers have car stereos up loud,screaming brats,barking dogs,etc,and can't always hear the little weeny horn on a scooter...just another option!

I wouldn't use that method.. As a trucker we flash lights to let other trucks know they are clear.. So if you were to flash your lights at me I would pull right out in front of you..

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
Truckers use that method when they are passing each other,in the same direction.  NOT as an ok to pull out in front of someone at an intersection.  :o

Sideshow

• Reading, PA
    • View Profile
    • My web site
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Truckers use that method when they are passing each other,in the same direction.  NOT as an ok to pull out in front of someone at an intersection.  :o

Ok I've only been trucking for over 14 years and yes we do it at intersections also.. Also while in a car I've flashed and been flashed to let someone know come on out.. Just letting you know if you flash me I WILL pull in front of you.. Car truck or bike.. 

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:29 AM »
Ok I've only been trucking for over 14 years and yes we do it at intersections also.. Also while in a car I've flashed and been flashed to let someone know come on out.. Just letting you know if you flash me I WILL pull in front of you.. Car truck or bike.. 
And you WILL also get a failure to yield-lots of points. I'm done here,don't want a flame war.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()