Author Topic: Just bought a DT300 what else do I need?  (Read 7838 times)

p40whk

• View Profile
Just bought a DT300 what else do I need?
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »
My new burnt orange DT300 should be here next week and I'm completely without any gear! Ordered a helmet last night but would like to add some extra storage. What are my options and are there any must have things I need to pick up for the bike?

Was thinking of changing the oil out right away then again when it was due, do most people recommend this or is the oil, plugs and filters that are in the bike Ok until the first service?

Thanks

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought a DT300 what else do I need?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
Original break in oil is fine. If you want even you can go right to synthetic, everyone though treats this differently. If you go synthetic also do so for the final drive as well.

Extra storage means a top box. There are so many options here and you have to decide what fits you best. It is however best to get a removable box so you can easily take off without it when ever the need arises.

Don't go for the snake oil performance plug bit. If you want to upgrade to a long lasting and consistent plug at any time put in a NGK CR7EIX Iridium plug as they are good for alot more miles than the stock plug etc.

Safety gear. Every one treats this differently as well, minimalists just get a good DOT helmet then there are those bearing full body armour. Just remember leather is alot easier to replace than skin..................

p40whk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
Thanks TANWare,

There is a Sport Tour showroom right down from where I work and had planned to stop in and pick up a few things. I'll have to research which top box to buy as I'm not sure what fits the DT300.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »
As far as fits allot will. The Givi uses an additional addapter, SR92m, then any mono lock will fit. It becomes more what looks right for your taste. In other words how obnoxious are you willing to go, a massive 55L box or smaller 30L box for example. Then to decide whether to light it as in brakes and/or turn signals.

The Shad addapter uses 2 leg braces that go in front of the brake lens, a no go for me. And forget any universal mount as I haven't seen one that would just bolt to our racks as is.

Another consideration is tail and turn LED's. They are much brighter than stock and getting noticed is all part of the game............

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:08:28 AM »
Welcome!   8)

I also started fresh. And got a jacket and gloves as well.
Like TANWare said, rather replace Leather.

I'm also looking for a topcase now.
Kind of leaning towards the Bestem 929...  :-\
Am in dubio about the mount plate...
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

p40whk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
After looking at the price on the Givi V46 top case which I saw recommended I think I may have to find a cheaper alternative or wait a bit. The price doesn't even include the mounting hardware which is half again as expensive. I may go with a backpack from these guys: http://www.betterscooterbag.com/backpacks.htm in the interim. I haven't read any reviews for them yet so don't know much about them.

As far as safety goes, I ended up ordering a Gmax GM68 helmet which was Webbikeworlds Helmet of the year for 2008, the price was right as well: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gmax/gm68s/

Going to start looking into riding clothing now. I'm a bit longer in the torso than in the legs so I've had problems finding the right fit so this may be the most difficult area for me.

I hadn't considered adding LEDs to the bike but have a really good source for them. http://www.oznium.com/motorcycle-led-lighting I've used their product on my boat and the price/quality is fantastic. Once I get the bike I'll have to see where I can integrate a few.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
As far as tail and turn signals this was my order..........

Qty  | Product / Options                        | Price/ea |
============================================================
   2 | BAU15S-x18-T: 18HP-LED 1056 LED Tower bulb|  $ 17.95 |
         BAU15S-A18-T: Amber
------------------------------------------------------------
   1 | 1157-x45-T: 45HP-LED BAY15D Tower Bulb   |  $ 24.95 |
         1157-R45-T: 1157 Red
   2 | RL-650: Tail Light Load Resistor kit     |   $ 4.95 |

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »
Where did you order your led tail light?

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
Break LED lights
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
Hi TANWare,

The break lights seem very white in the video, is that due to the video quality and is the LED really RED ???

Am tempted to get the Break LED at least...
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

p40whk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
Well, picked up my DT on Thursday and almost wrecked it on the way home! Being an old motorcycle guy, my muscle memory had me pressing my right foot down trying to actuate the rear brakes. Needless to say, Taking a tight turn at speed and trying to use only the front brake while confused that my rear wasn't working had me praying I'd slow down enough for the turn.  :o

Made it with only my pride damaged so getting used to that change will be the first thing I concentrate on!

Drove it to work this morning, varied the throttle to help with break in but averaged between 55-70mph with no problems. A nice comfortable ride but I think I need some kind of Cruise control or throttle friction lock. Has anyone used a Vista Cruise or Throttle-Miester on a DT before?

I was also considering the Givi windshield but after the review in one of the other threads from the guy in the UK I'm a bit apprehensive. Anyone have experience with the Givi shield?

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:36:43 AM »
Well, picked up my DT on Thursday and almost wrecked it on the way home! Being an old motorcycle guy, my muscle memory had me pressing my right foot down trying to actuate the rear brakes. Needless to say, Taking a tight turn at speed and trying to use only the front brake while confused that my rear wasn't working had me praying I'd slow down enough for the turn.  :o

Made it with only my pride damaged so getting used to that change will be the first thing I concentrate on!

Drove it to work this morning, varied the throttle to help with break in but averaged between 55-70mph with no problems. A nice comfortable ride but I think I need some kind of Cruise control or throttle friction lock. Has anyone used a Vista Cruise or Throttle-Miester on a DT before?

I was also considering the Givi windshield but after the review in one of the other threads from the guy in the UK I'm a bit apprehensive. Anyone have experience with the Givi shield?
I had the same brake problem with my People S125 after the honda 750a. Takes a bit of getting used to. I had a friction cruse on the honda but not putting one on this bike. What was said about the givi wind shield? Mine should be here this week. I have seen a lot of good reports on them so one bad one would not deter me much.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:50:58 AM »
Yes the LED is red. It appears much whiter in the video in real life it is red. The cool white LED's actually seem to make the lens cast a purple hue. The amber is actually a great yellow but both lights overdrive the bloggie camera.

With the tail light there is no need for a load resistor. The turn signals can go without but proper function of the dash and front turn signals is lost and in my case there was no flashing without the engine running.

I am tempted to change the front signal bulbs to LED's in the cown but I think those dummy bulbs are actually load resistors. I should have unplugged it when I had the cowl of to see if the dummy bulbs has electrical connections and to see if there was resistance. As they say hind sight is 20/20.

My daughters wedding is over so now on to my own projects. Top box is one but also I have the 20x12 14GR dr pulley rollers. I only need to find somewhere one of those pulley holders with replaceable pins. I have a Ryobi Electric impact wrench and am about to get a torque wrench and impact sockets but it is all useless without a way to lock up the pulley.

As a side note is the FT/LBS suppsed to be 70 on that nut? I found a metric conversion that said it was like 68.xxx FT/LBS.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »
Make your own tool for taking apart the variator. 2 peaces of flat iron, 1 long, one short. Bolt together like the blades of a sissers, take 2 longer bolts that will fit the holes on the variator nuts on each side of the strap iron and cut the heads off. I have made a couple of then and they work great.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »
It may come down to that. If I can't find one locally then most likely I will just get one on the net. I've been thinking of also trying out the 20x12 16GR Dr Pulley if the 14GR revs to high at crusing................

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()