Author Topic: How do you lube your parts?  (Read 2053 times)

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
How do you lube your parts?
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in my scoot (last time I had it running at least) and Valvoline gear oil which I'm happy with. When I was at my local dealership not long ago a parts guy there said that synthetic is overrated and can have leakage issues that I should go with regular rather than synthetic.

What kind of oils are you guys running and are you happy with them?
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: How do you lube your parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
"How do you lube your parts?" bit personal Kenho is it not?  ;D lol

I use the same Valvoline gear oil you do and also use fully synthetic engine oil. I read that its best for small 50cc engines like ours, thats why I use it. Cant say I noticed any issues with it, but i ve only had my A50 for maybe 6months now, seems fine. I havent noticed any leakage issues and  loads of forums etc recommend regular changes with fully synthetic as the best option.

Unless I hear any different I will continue to use it on mine.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
I was of the same opinion, just heard from a guy at a shop he doesn't like using it on his bikes but he was referring to sport bikes so probably a non issue when it comes to scooter...
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
I use the Valvoline synthetic gear oil, and Royal Purple full synthetic oil in every motor i own, never had a problem at all and there is just something about that stuff that feels like it frees an engine up  :)
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:01:21 AM »
Engine: OMV Classic 15W-50, mineral, changed every 500 km
Final transmission: OMV Gearbox 75W-90, synthetic, changed every 1000 km
Brake cables: standard motor oil
Central/side stand and variuos chassis and body parts: high temperature resistance grease and WD 40

I don't know if last two were in question :-)

My oppinion is that full synthetic oil is too much for this engine. I tryed both fully synthetic and semi synthetic(various brands and viscosity grades from 10W-30 to 10W-60), but mineral 15W-50 with often changes proved to be the best in my case.

And about leakage, I can't see how normal fully synth oil can cause this.
Somewhere I read something about diesel oil in GY6 50cc. The thing is that oil for diesel engines has some sort of agressive sulphor cleaning additive (for older diesel engines) that could cause leaking problem on crankshaft gasket/seal on variator side.
Don't know if this is true, but I was using oil for petrol engines and had no leaking problems.     

woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:24:03 AM »
Sorry, but I would like to add a few more things.

When I was doing oil changes at 1000 or 1500 km, all three types of oil(full syn, semi syn or mineral) had same colour.
Completely black no matter what type or grade I was using.
That brought me to conclusion that oil change frequency and grade is more important than oil type.
To me, it's important to use thick/heavy oil that breaks down slowly because this engines
runs very hot.

Few months ago, I was changing expensive Motul synthetic oil at 1400 km, and it had viscosity close to a water.
It lost almost all lubrication properties.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:43:32 AM by woodcutter »

Jiffycake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »
"How do you lube your parts?" on the same page as "What protection do you guys use?"

nice.  ;D

I thought this was a family oriented forum  >:(

Anyway..

Crankcase: Amsoil 10w40 Synthetic Motorcycle oil
Final Drive: Amsoil 80w90 Gear oil

This is what is available at my job (small engine repair shop) and I get an employee discount so I figured I might as well use it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:57:49 AM by Jiffycake »
Agility 125 Part out and Complete A50 Motor w/ super low miles.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4718.0

hungryrussian

• Kymco Agility 50 "Sonic"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
"How do you lube your parts?" on the same page as "What protection do you guys use?"

nice.  ;D

I thought this was a family oriented forum  >:(

hahaha... kids don't ride kymcos :D
'08 Agility 50, 72cc BBK, Naraku HS High Speed Variator, some clutch tweaking, UNI filter with homemade cold air setup, Leo Vince Handmade Titan exhaust, lots of random upgrades i'll never be able to remember.. the look on people's faces when i put a knee down through a curve makes it all worthwhile

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:33 AM »
"How do you lube your parts?" bit personal Kenho is it not?  ;D lol

I use the same Valvoline gear oil you do and also use fully synthetic engine oil. I read that its best for small 50cc engines like ours, thats why I use it. Cant say I noticed any issues with it, but i ve only had my A50 for maybe 6months now, seems fine. I havent noticed any leakage issues and  loads of forums etc recommend regular changes with fully synthetic as the best option.

Unless I hear any different I will continue to use it on mine.

dont fix whats not broken

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()