Author Topic: Top heavy?  (Read 4589 times)

soberpath

• View Profile
Re: Top heavy?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:08 AM »
I thought that too.  I only have the motorcycle dmv permit, and to pass the test to get license, you have to go around a small circle, at slow speed.  I've been practicing, but it's nearly impossible, the bike feels top heavy, my arm muscles are very tight trying to take the tight turn, to no avail.  Then again, I weigh 280+ pounds, so maybe it's my fault it's top heavy  :o

I took the MSF Course a few weeks back and Did it on a Vino 125, I weigh 375+ lb's. Needless to say i didn't go very fast (about 25-30 top speed) but as far a the slow speed maneuvering it wasn't all that difficult. I couldn't quite stay in the box when doing the figure 8 but i never dropped the scoot or put a foot down. The counterbalancing is really tough to get figured out because it feels like you going to drop the bike when first getting used to it. I did notice tho once you figure out the centrifugal clutch (its in the throttle) on a scoot (to find the grab point) and are able to keep the acceleration even it helps alot, when you need to slow down to go into the turn for the figure 8 drag the rear brake instead of letting off of the throttle. (this is what both instructors taught me). You would not want to do that in any other situation tho, throttle and brake and the same time is not good practice (except for that exercise or in a really tight u turn at SLOW speeds less than 5mph). Or maybe if facing up a hill so you dont roll back when you let off the brake, give it a little throttle before easing off the rear brake. I would suggest taking the MSF course, they teach you things that WILL save your life one day. Not to mention you learn how to counter balance and counter steer, two things i knew nothing about before taking the class.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:21:07 AM by soberpath »

lavoyermn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
  I have a KYMCO People 250  I had the same problem with mine  I found out how to adjust the rear spring tention   look in owner manual and if it is up to hi put it down     mine was all the way down now it is in center and it works very well  It rides diferent and hadles diferent when moving it  by hand

I thought it was top heavy too but by changing the spring  preset it workes fine
LOUIS A. VOYER
   ST PAUL MN 55106

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »
Do you know that to complete a tight circle, you MUST keep your head and eyes aimed at where you want to go.  Keep turning your head and eyes as the bike turns.  It took me a while to get it.  You will too.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()