Author Topic: Top heavy?  (Read 4585 times)

orepicker

• View Profile
Top heavy?
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:52:11 AM »
I've owned a 2006 People 250 for a couple of years and basically love it.  However I've been increasingly aware that it feels top heavy and have had a few incidents when it almost went over while parking or maneuvering in a tight spot. I base this on the radiator, fuel and water tanks near the top. It's wonderful on the road with enough power to keep up with traffic so I don't want to go back to a smaller air cooled scooter. Plus the larger wheels are great. I'm getting longer in the tooth with  some back problems so I get a little nervous sometimes. Anyone else have an issue with this?

axy

• View Profile
Re: Top heavy?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »
I've owned a 2006 People 250 for a couple of years and basically love it.  However I've been increasingly aware that it feels top heavy and have had a few incidents when it almost went over while parking or maneuvering in a tight spot. I base this on the radiator, fuel and water tanks near the top. It's wonderful on the road with enough power to keep up with traffic so I don't want to go back to a smaller air cooled scooter. Plus the larger wheels are great. I'm getting longer in the tooth with  some back problems so I get a little nervous sometimes. Anyone else have an issue with this?

I have 250S and I do not think there is such thing as "top heavy", unless you are 4.5" high and weigh 100 lbs, so you cannot flat foot on the ground etc.

There are bikes on the road that weigh 500, 600, 700 or 800 lbs, yours is around 360, so it really should not be an issue.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

orepicker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »
Let me re-phrase that. It feels like it has a rather high center of gravity.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
Let me re-phrase that. It feels like it has a rather high center of gravity.
Compared to a Buddy?  Sure. Still, it's the overall weight that's making you nervous. Once it starts a fall, it's not easy to stop. It's a 367lb. beast. My buddy's Buell 1125S weighs less, and has almost 10x the horsepower.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:14:42 AM »
Well, I think I know what terdahl is getting at though.  Yeah, I'm getting a little older and weaker too and my Xciting feels like it could sure get away from me if it begins to tip over.  Actually it has.  ::)  Only two things I know to do about it.  Work out with weights and get stronger -- (not too difficult really).  Or go to a smaller lighter scooter.  Or both. 

I'm going to be seriously thinking about a Downtown 300 when time comes to let go of my Xciting.  Stats seem to say it's around a hundred pounds lighter. 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »
It does not feel any different than other 200-250 cc 20 hp scoots I drove with large wheels.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:26 PM »
I sold my 500 lb. motorcycle for the same reason and got the S200 at about half the weight. This may not work for you, but I was sometimes riding with sneakers, but for safety I switched to a work boot with thick sole. I feel more secure when putting a foot down at a stop with the ankle support and a little extra height.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
I sold my 500 lb. motorcycle for the same reason and got the S200 at about half the weight. This may not work for you, but I was sometimes riding with sneakers, but for safety I switched to a work boot with thick sole. I feel more secure when putting a foot down at a stop with the ankle support and a little extra height.

Sneakers often have plastic soles and work boots/similar type of boots have real rubber boots, sometimes claimed to be also anti-slip resistant (to a degree....)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:23:02 PM »
Time to hit the gym?
Obviously, balance is key with motorbikes.  Once you pass a certain point on almost any bike, your going down baby.
Sturdy boots make a big difference in balancing while not moving.

skatin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
... I've been increasingly aware that it feels top heavy ...

I thought that too.  I only have the motorcycle dmv permit, and to pass the test to get license, you have to go around a small circle, at slow speed.  I've been practicing, but it's nearly impossible, the bike feels top heavy, my arm muscles are very tight trying to take the tight turn, to no avail.  Then again, I weigh 280+ pounds, so maybe it's my fault it's top heavy  :o

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
I thought that too.  I only have the motorcycle dmv permit, and to pass the test to get license, you have to go around a small circle, at slow speed.  I've been practicing, but it's nearly impossible, the bike feels top heavy, my arm muscles are very tight trying to take the tight turn, to no avail.  Then again, I weigh 280+ pounds, so maybe it's my fault it's top heavy  :o

It has nothing to do with "top heaviness", but with the fact that it does not have a clutch, so fine tuning the gas throttle and torque is almost impossible.
Doing tight turns, circles and eights as those on the motorcycle course is very difficult with cvt scooters.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
Doing tight turns and figure eights felt funny to me too at first, but over time I got better with experience. It felt like I was falling inward, but judicious throttle control helped.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »
all the factors mentioned above can contribute to and be re mediated up to a point. weight strengthening and walking to build leg muscle would help based on my own experience....as well as good boots with ankle support.

re your road test....don't know exact wheel base of your scooter but would guess around 60 inches or there abouts....i would strongly suggest using a much smaller cc and one that you can control more easily re turns /cornering...if you have to negotiate cones.weave as i did you will find the larger wheel base will give you problems on the test.

check out locally... you can rent and they usually take you through the test...cost is reasonable....

melodys39

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 05:02:50 PM »
Another reason to wear good leather boots that go above the ankle is that if you do go down, you have protection!!! My friend was involved in a very serious accident several months ago, and the only thing that saved her foot was her boots.

And regarding the DMV motorcycle test, you might look to see if there is a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) training course in your area. More and more training classes are offering scooters to train on, including some scooter 'only' courses. In Oregon they just started offering scooters as an option, and they are 125-150cc scoots with 10-12" wheels. If you pass the course in Oregon, you automatically get your DMV endorsement.

And personally, I like the smaller wheels and shorter wheel base. I have a Grandvista, and it foots the bill completely!
'09 White Grandvista 250 "Dinky"

teknik1200

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:26:52 AM »
It has nothing to do with "top heaviness", but with the fact that it does not have a clutch, so fine tuning the gas throttle and torque is almost impossible.
Doing tight turns, circles and eights as those on the motorcycle course is very difficult with cvt scooters.

It's not so bad really.  Just hold on that back break and give her more throttle.  You can also take a class and they'll put you on a little bike for the test. In fact a class would be a good idea if you are having trouble with slow speed stuff, they teach you how to do it and give you a bunch of pointers.

On the subject of top heavy, you should feel an MP3, 525+ lbs and that steering system has some weight.   at least i can lock it when I'm at a standstill, but that doesn't help doing low speed stuff.   One thing that helps is to look and focus where you expect to end up and not at your bike!

keep working that rear break the entire time and you'll get those circles down.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()