Author Topic: Downtown 300i - useful information?  (Read 14656 times)

shadwell_lad

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300i - useful information?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
Picked up the bike yesterday and I am happy, it is so much faster than my 125 and I think should keep me safer.

The only 2 things that I think I will have to change are
1. The screen - it is just too low for me and pushes the air directly into my face rather than over my head. I think I would even be better off with no screen!
2. The speedo - I may get used to this being in km/hour but it isn't going to well at the moment.

woodbar, other than the top of the screen being in your line of sight how is your Givi screen? Do you have any photos of it on the bike? Also, how are you cutting the screen down?

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »

woodbar, other than the top of the screen being in your line of sight how is your Givi screen? Do you have any photos of it on the bike? Also, how are you cutting the screen down?

Glad your pleased with the DT  - I know exactly what you mean with the screen

The Givi screen is a HUGE improvement not only because it is taller but, I believe, because it is wider at the base and channels the air from the top edge of the bodywork away from you.  I think the original screen was designed to look good rather than for efficiency!

I made my longest trip so far yesterday, just to really try the screen, and it was much more comfortable, relaxed and FAR less noisy than before - I really enjoyed the 75 mile trip whereas before I was getting tired of the buffeting and wind noise after 20 miles or so.  I can also hear the engine and exhaust note very clearly now.

There is a picture of the screen on the bike on the Givi site but it is not a very good one - not "full length" - I will try and take a couple of shots later today/tomorrow to give you a better idea if I can (things a bit hectic here).

As far as trimming the top - I have seen a couple of posts somewhere where others have cut the top off screens so I will have to do a search for them.  As you are a bit taller than me you may not need to do this!  On my ride yesterday I tried several times to "stretch up" a bit and I think I can get away with about 2" shorter without making too much difference - the only "unknown" is that this will decrease the amount of "forward" curve at the top of the screen so may have more effect than me just moving my head up a couple of inches!

I've emailed Trail Tech a few questions about the Striker digital dashboard to see if I can fit it successfully to the DT - if so I think I may go down that route (they also do a Vector version which is cheaper but does not show battery volts etc.)  I definitely need a legible mph speedo and Kymco UK are just not interested -  I think the problem is that they probably import the generic Europe version at the moment - if they ask for any change (MPH main scale) then that would be a "special" and their "landed" cost would rise - evrything comes down to margins! (Excessive in some cases?)

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
Photos of the Givi D294ST on the DT - excuse the quality - the bike is still dirty from yesterdays ride and black and white is not a good subject in bright sunlight!

First time I have tried this so I hope it's OK

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
Looks great, mine will be here this week. That is not dirty, You can hardly see the colour of mine for all the bugs after the last couple of days of riding.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
Looks great, mine will be here this week. That is not dirty, You can hardly see the colour of mine for all the bugs after the last couple of days of riding.

Mind how you transfer the bottom oval Kymco fixing - you need to put some spacers on to get the screws to tighten up - I think Givi should have supplied some - I have emailed them and, surprise, surprise, no reply - why do I expect this lack of response to be normal!

I am hoping to get my Kappa K35 box and Givi SR92M rack (lets hope this includes all the fittings) on Wed/Thu - IF Givi has got the rack from Italy - it seems nobody wants to keep stock on the shelf.

I will post pictures of this when it's on - if anyone is interested of course.

shadwell_lad

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 08:57:48 AM »
the bike is still dirty from yesterdays ride

The bike looks great! Thank you for the photos.

The screen does look a lot bigger than the original but like you I really do need something to make the wind and noise a little more pleasant. How much did you pay for the screen?

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
It is a bit too tal for me, 3-4" higher would do it and 4 is pushing it for me. The hand wind protection would be great for when it gets colder. I may though get one and cut it down. My main concern would be how does it effect top speed, crusing RPM and of course MPG.

An adjustable windsceen would be optimal, but here is to wishing..............

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
Putting a tall screen on my 125 increased both speed and milage as it got the wind off me. I am expecting the same here. Mine is in transit now so hope to see it this week. After our mail strike, it is taking for ever for things to get here.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

StKilda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
I will let you know when mine arrives in Aust but mine comes with ABS, adjustable windshield, under seat fits 2 full helmets not sure on tyre pressure check or front and rear brakes connect but will soon find out paid $7490 + $500 for color!

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »
I will let you know when mine arrives in Aust but mine comes with ABS, adjustable windshield, under seat fits 2 full helmets not sure on tyre pressure check or front and rear brakes connect but will soon find out paid $7490 + $500 for color!

I hope your new machine comes with everything you are expecting and you are not disappointed by any mis-information as I, and others, have been.

The bike looks great! Thank you for the photos.

The screen does look a lot bigger than the original but like you I really do need something to make the wind and noise a little more pleasant. How much did you pay for the screen?

I paid £107 for the screen - got free carriage as it was Givi - but see my concerns regarding my supplier in an earlier post.

I am still very concerned about the poor fitting on the lower front fixing point - when anyone else fits one can you let us have your thoughts - I have still not had a response from Givi.

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
Givi Screen
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
I'm also interested in the Givi screen. It does look good.
So far I have not been on the HW and have not had any issues with the wind. (6' and 32" inseam)

My main concern is my hands. They do go numb quick and the more protected they are the better it would be.
Though the Givi screen is wider, it does not seem to completely cover the handlebars ???
Would love to hear reviews on this aspect of the screen.

When I rode 25 yrs ago, my bike had those dirt bike handle protectors, would be great if I could find something similar now...
Will for now look for an extra set of gloves...
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

woodbar

• View Profile
Re: Givi Screen
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »

My main concern is my hands. They do go numb quick and the more protected they are the better it would be.
Though the Givi screen is wider, it does not seem to completely cover the handlebars ???
Would love to hear reviews on this aspect of the screen.

Your right it does not cover the handlebars - I think that would make it TOO big!

I can tell you that there is much less buffeting around your arms/shoulders with this screen fitted and I did notice that I did not get any squashed bugs on my gloves during my extended ride the other day (they were plastered all over the screen & bodywork) - so I can only assume the air is getting diverted away from the bars/grips by the extra width lower section.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 07:06:23 AM »
Wind deversion around the hands and arms is nice but again at what cost? I am lucky so far here, with my V65 the hands go numb in 5 minutes or less but I ahve not had a numbness issue yet with the bike. Thid is one of the reasons I love the bike............

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Wind deversion around the hands and arms is nice but again at what cost?

I know you expressed a concern about performance and mpg etc.  - well I can only say I did not notice any difference in performance but that could be because I was enjoying the ride so much more!

AS far as mpg goes I got 84.5 and 81mpg for the last 2 fills - going down as the wrist twists further now it's getting run in.  The last fill was immediately before I fitted the Givi screen so I will be interested to see what the next result is - trouble is I have a dose of "man-flu" at the moment so I will not be out on it for a few days! 

Will use the time to fit my topbox/rack which I am promised I will get tomorrow - like the the screen, nearly 2 weeks longer than I was told and both delays were down to Givi UK who don't seem to actually stock anything for the DT.

A couple of weeks ago I converted the stop/tail bulb to a tower LED (red) the result is pretty good and I have now fitted an LED brake light modulator which gives a sort of strobe effect to the stop light at first application of the brakes - this is quite attention grabbing for any driver behind that is only looking at the cars in front of you because we all know bikes are invisible!

Have a look at http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-brake-light-modulators.html which will explain it all.  I am not sure this is legal for the UK (LED conversion OR modulator) but if it stops someone trying to rearrange the rear end of the bike.......... I will take the risk.  No I have absolutely NO connection with the site - just think it's a useful product.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »
I have seen those on bikes but primarilly on the secondary brake light from say the top box. I guess this makes them legal, not sure though.

As far as a box I am wondering if that too will efect milage. With my overly large profile a small box may hav e little effect but I really want a E55 for the storage capacity.............

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()