Author Topic: Abrupt Clutch Engagement  (Read 3367 times)

jstluise

• View Profile
Abrupt Clutch Engagement
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »
For the last couple months I have been riding around the city, with a lot of stop and go, and haven't noticed any problems when taking off; everything has been smooth.

I recently went on a longer trip where I was cruising at higher speeds (50-55mph).  After reaching my destination and having to go through stop signs and lights, I noticed my take-offs were abrupt, and sometimes violent...As if the clutch is grabbing instantly once the engine hits the right revs.  After the clutch engages, everything else is normal.

After driving it around town since then, I've noticed it is getting smoother, but it still feels a little 'grabby'.

Any thoughts?  I thought I read about this before and someone suggested holding the brakes and revving the engine to force the clutch to slip.  Is this to clean the clutch?

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Abrupt Clutch Engagement
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
For the last couple months I have been riding around the city, with a lot of stop and go, and haven't noticed any problems when taking off; everything has been smooth.

I recently went on a longer trip where I was cruising at higher speeds (50-55mph).  After reaching my destination and having to go through stop signs and lights, I noticed my take-offs were abrupt, and sometimes violent...As if the clutch is grabbing instantly once the engine hits the right revs.  After the clutch engages, everything else is normal.

After driving it around town since then, I've noticed it is getting smoother, but it still feels a little 'grabby'.

Any thoughts?  I thought I read about this before and someone suggested holding the brakes and revving the engine to force the clutch to slip.  Is this to clean the clutch?

Yeah, that was me.
I've done it a few times during the period of one day and the problem never came back.

Just do it and don't worry about it.
I've got 10k miles on mine now, this was a long time ago.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
Yeah, that was me.
I've done it a few times during the period of one day and the problem never came back.

Just do it and don't worry about it.
I've got 10k miles on mine now, this was a long time ago.

I'm not worried about it...the problem is going away just by me riding it around the city which means a lot of clutch engagements.  Your method is just faster.

Now I just wonder why this occurs...  ???

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
I'm not worried about it...the problem is going away just by me riding it around the city which means a lot of clutch engagements.  Your method is just faster.

Now I just wonder why this occurs...  ???

I have no idea, but considering I haven't experienced this on any other scooter I'm guessing
it's a cheapo part/manufacturing fault.

I've seen some glazing on the clutch pads, with them scrubbed clean and the rest of
the CVT cleaned up the problem goes away, but comes back very soon. I'm not sure
what kind of riding and/or conditions attribute to this since mine started jumping riding
around town, no long rides were involved, so it's obviously not that.

I guess someone who knows more about the CVT specific stuff will have a simple answer,
but I think it can't be avoided.

Just one thing.. did you change your gear oil just before this issue appeared?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I just got back from the same, long ride I did before.  At the end of the ride, the clutch engagement is smooth unlike before when it was abrupt.  So, I dunno what the deal is.

I just bought the scoot not too long ago with 600km on it.  I now have almost 1100km on it.  As soon as I got it I did all the fluids, which included Redline Synthetic 75-90 in the rearend.

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »
This is touched on alot around here. I guess all agilitys do this crap. Dont worry about it. Ive had the problem for 7000 k and until i came to this forum i had no idea you could hold the brake and burn the clutch a little to help the problem. I would think if you done it too too much it could cause some damage to your clutch plates ? Anyways good luck with it
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:16:00 PM by 2010Iron883 »

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
I just got back from the same, long ride I did before.  At the end of the ride, the clutch engagement is smooth unlike before when it was abrupt.  So, I dunno what the deal is.

I just bought the scoot not too long ago with 600km on it.  I now have almost 1100km on it.  As soon as I got it I did all the fluids, which included Redline Synthetic 75-90 in the rearend.

I also changed the gear oil and the problem appeared shortly after that.. the dealer said I overfilled it
and that some of it might have drained on the CVT..
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
Never heard that before . I guess it could be possible though.

chimpymech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »
I suffered from these symptoms for a while [very violent clutch grab], I associated the problem with damp / cold weather. On investigation I found that the air intake pipe at the forward end of the crank case was doubled over, therefore there was no air flow through the case. I straightened the pipe [under the foot board] this allowed the crank case & clutch assembly to dry out - I can only presume that condensation was the cause of my sticky clutch action as the problem has completely disappeared [and never re-occurred] since [that was 10 months ago].

Hope this helps others!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()