Author Topic: Clutch always making contact  (Read 3295 times)

bmcafee

• View Profile
Clutch always making contact
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:18:33 AM »
I noticed as soon as I get off of the gas it feels like I was on the brake or something was rubbing and then I noticed a squeeking noise. After checking the brakes I notices that is the clutch making contact with the bell. I made the mistake of buying a ncy trans kit. I am wondering if I can modify it so that it wont rub the bell constantly. I am not sure if the springs are too weak or the pads ar too big, Or just replace te clutch back to oem. I dont have the cash on hand currently to purchas a new oem. Also can I cause dammage to other things running it temporarily by running it to work and back untill I figure this out? Thanks for the read.
Brian

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch always making contact
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »
I'm not sure about what exactly is making the noise but I have heard a lot of bad things about NCY so I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of it just being poor quality parts. I have an exhaust from them but luckily no problems so far.
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
If you turn the clutch bell by hand, is it dragging on the clutch pads? If not it may be as simple as weak springs.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »
I can feel it dragging on the bell. You can turn it but there is definate resistance. I dont know how to judge it to explain it in pounds. I noticed that when I put every thing back together that it seemed better "for the most part" untill I took it out for a test drive took it up to 25mph and as soon as I got off of the gas sure enough it was de accelerating too quickly again. I only think that it was better by pushing it to the end of my drive way it rolled really smooth but befor I took it apart and after test drive there is some resistance. It seems constant.
Thanks,
Brian.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
Just to eliminate the possibility of it being brake drag, maybe try backing off the rear brake adjusting nut and then see if there is any drag on the bell. Otherwise, I would suggest opening the clutch and see what you find, maybe something like a separated clutch pad jamming between one of the other pads and the bell, just a thought.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
I have not messed with the rear brake but while I had the cvt cover off I turned the wheel while I had my other hand on the clutch "bell" I could feel that the pads were making contact on it, that's how I identified it as a clutch issue. while I had the bell off, the pads were uniform. Then again I have heard terrible things about the quality control at ncy. I would have just re-installed the oem clutch but when I was taking it apart to install the new kit one of the pads broke off. anything other info that you need?
Thanks,
Brian

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:00:13 AM »
So you are certain that it is the clutch, not the brake. How does it feel with the clutch bell off?
Thinking maybe something in the torque driver, bits of belt string from the belt perhaps.

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
With the bell off there is no resistance what so ever just the normal movings when rotating the wheel it feels the was is should. This is what helped me to come to my conclusion.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Are there any wear marks on the bell or pads? Can you use your stock bell with the ncy clutch?

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »
Just tried to replace the bell with oem but I could not get the ncy bell off like an idiot I used locktight to put the but on and I think some of it got in the the splines. I have no idea where would be a safe point to pry with out throwing something else out of alignment. I did also notice that the large nut that holds the spring compressed was making contact with the inside of the bell. noticed that when I was putting the nut holding the bell back on. I used a flat head screw driver to compress the spring a little more and was able to retighen the nut a bit througt the slots on the bell to give it lee way so that I could tighten back down the nut without it rubbing against the inside of the bell. I am now trying to come up with a way that I can pry the bell off without damaging it or anything else. UGH FML....

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:44 AM »
Yeah, I was going to mention the large nut inside.  Mine came loose once without me knowing and had the exact same symptoms you're having.  Clutch shoes rubbed the bell constantly till finally it locked up. I had just done some clutch work and guess I didn't tighten it well enough.  Took it apart and really tightened it plus put locktite on it and that solved it for good. 

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:42:44 AM »
Oh yeah, and I got my bell stuck on the splines once too.  I wound up renting a puller from an auto parts store.  I had to put some flat files behind the bell as something for the puller to grab.  Sort of had to hold it all together by hand while tightening on the puller.  I was afraid the whole deal would sort of explode in my hands and face!   :D  When it finally did break loose it sounded like a gun firing but did not come off TOO explosively.  Ha!  No harm done. 

Edit:  Now I remember it was the Clutch itself I got stuck on the splines.  I think your bell should come off with a puller though.  You might want to use some flat pieces of strong metal like I did to keep from warping your bell. 

Further edit:  Advance Auto Parts rental policy is that you get your money back when you bring the tool back so that's good.  Maybe other store's policies are the same, I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:04:20 AM by Hoolander2 »

bmcafee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 05:44:06 AM »
Thanks hoolander I will give the puller a try I think that you may be on to something about the big nuc being the cause to the problems aswell. I will let yall know. I also noticed that my scoot dosent want to idle when it is hot out but when it is cool like now in the middle of the night 74f she idles perfect and runs like a champ could this be caused by me running lean? Thanks again,
Brian.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 03:44:57 AM »
try just cleaning the clutch there is a good clutch cleaner called silver clean it well allso losen any think stuck in the clutch,

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:48:15 PM »
It sounds alot like if you havent tightened the big nut enough, so it has come loose, and are touching the bell.

I had the same symptoms, not after a change of cluch, but after ive put in the big white spring. Just compress teh spring, and tighten the nut :D No harm done :)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()